Problem upgrading RAM: Flash the BIOS? or Upgrade the processor? (133 Views)
Honor Student
atdotslash
Message 1 of 3 (133 Views)
Accepted Solution

Problem upgrading RAM: Flash the BIOS? or Upgrade the processor?

Hi there, I've jumped in with both feet and now need help to get myself out!!!!!

I have a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-470uk Desktop PC that is getting a little slow (processor specs here http://ark.intel.com/products/48505/Intel-Core-i3-550-Processor-4M-Cache-3_20-GHz). After adding a bluray drive I noticed it's getting a little slow so thought I'd add some RAM.

I bought some Hyper X8GB 1600hhz from HyperXbeast, slipped it in and the PC did nothing but turn itself on and off repeatedly. I checked both sticks and they both do this. I then (cart before horse) checked what memory the processor could handle and found out "The Intel® Core™ i3-5xx/Intel® Core™ i3-21xx Processors support 1066/1333 MHz DDR3 memory" from here http://www.intel.com/support/processors/corei3/sb/CS-031175.htm

After chatting on another forum it was suggested that I update the BIOS as it may allow the processor to handle the 1600 mhz memory but I dont know where to start on this or what version to chose to download. I'd appreciate any help you can offer on this.

The other route I can see is to update the processor itself. I was thinking nothing too fancy just an i5 as it will allow me to run 3d blurays and should allow me to run a few apps at the same time. After reading this http://m.wikihow.com/Upgrade-a-Processor it doesn't seem too complicated. Is it really just a matter of taking off the fan, unclipping the old processor, droping the new one in and then putting some of that cooling paste stuff on?

Or, should I just return the memory and get the right memory?

Cheers

Atdot.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 3 (105 Views)

Re: Problem upgrading RAM: Flash the BIOS? or Upgrade the processor?

[ Edited ]

Here are the original factory specs for your HP Pavilion Elite HPE-470uk Desktop Computer and its MS-7613 (Iona-GL8E) motherboard. Based on these specs, this model can support up to 16GB (4GB x 4 DIMMs) as follows;

Dual channel memory architecture
Four DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs

Additionally, this model can support the following Intel CPUs;

Maximum processor core frequency <= 2.93GHz
Intel Core i7-8xx (Lynnfield core)
Intel Core i5-7xx (Lynnfield core)
Intel Core i5-6xx (Clarkdale core)
Intel Core i3-5xx (Clarkdale core)

There is no BIOS update available for your computer, so you don't have to worry about updating the BIOS. Honestly, I would return the incorrect memory and upgrade to a minimum of 8GB of RAM. Then, if that solve all of your issues, you could also upgrade the CPU.

As the computer is almost 4 years old, you may want to consider doing an HP Factory Recovery to return the computer to a facoty like state. In many cases, this returns the computer's original full speed. The reason this helps, is because the OS gets bloated and clogged up over time.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the White KUDOS "Thumbs Up" to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Honor Student
atdotslash
Message 3 of 3 (94 Views)

Re: Problem upgrading RAM: Flash the BIOS? or Upgrade the processor?

Thank you. I appreciate your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation