Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have recently bought a msi Geforce GTX 970 graphic card.

The problem is that my pc wont get past the HP start-screen that pops up before windows start-screen.

My power supplier has sufficient power enough.

Help me please!!!

Do HP motherboards even support msi graphic cards?

If not, which companies do they support?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC was only shipped with a HP version 7 BIOS so the NVIDIA 970 is not going to work. There is no provision in a version 7 BIOS to disable or enable secure boot or enable UEFI/legacy.  You would see those selections under the security tab in the BIOS if such selection existed.

Try one of these NVIDIA GTX 660 models.  You only need a 450 watt PSU.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

If the computer is a newer one and has Windows 8, read THIS page.  If not, give the model number of the PC.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

My PC is about two years old and still runs windows 7 (64 bit)

I have a:

HP Pavilion HPE h8-1132sc desktop pc

my computer wont even get passed this point where it says press Esc to start-up menu:

images.jpg

When i press the Esc-button i hear a "tick" noise from within my PC. I do not know wheter i comes from the motherboard or the graphic card, but i suppose that there is a problem with the motherboard... or something.

But then again i am not able to execute a secure boot because i cannot get past the point demonstrated above.

HP Recommended

I really do not think MSi is much different that any other GeForce card regarding the compatability.  However, I have noticed there is a problem with the i7 and other Intel processors (that have built in graphics) and the teamed graphic cards.  Whenever a user tries to change the graphics card, like you wish, they end up in the pickle that you have come across.  I do not have the answer and hope someone can give you a good answer, as I would like to know, also.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The Chicago motherboard that uses an AMI BIOS version 7 that is compatible with UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface). 

(1) Please test if UEFI is active here.   (2) IS this the first graphic card installed, if so, is the slot ENABLED?  See Security tab.

(3) The 460W PSU in that unit is the max rating. It can not sustain that wattage.  (4) Just where did you determine that a 460W PSU, would power this card. According to game-debate, that card requires a min 500W PSU and 30A on the 12v line. I can not find a spec on your 460W PSU's output. There are 4 different PSU's possible. The old Delta PSU's that HP used in previous models has a 3 rail 12 line.

Output: Voltage +5.0V +12V1 +12V2 +12V3 -12V +3.3V +5Vsb
Max Load                13A     16A       15A        8A      0.8A   17A      2A  

SO,  if you got a split rail , which rails handle the card. Does that card has 2 plugs?   6 and 8 pin PCIE plugs?

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
I have an RM1000 powersupply. It gives 1000 W
HP Recommended
The motherboard i x16 PCI Express and the graphic card has a 6 and 8 pin slot. I connect the graphic card from my power supply with cables in both slots. It is PCI E cables.
HP Recommended

Since this is marked with a "Solution" does that mean that the card now works?  If "Yes" was it because the power connections were not correct?

Perhaps offer details so others can benefit from this thread.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Well not entirely. I just appreciate you help.

I have not found the right solution yet. My start-up menu will not allow me to disable secure boot. I can only disable the UEFI and enable the Legacy. This does not have the big impact on the situation, unfortunately.

What else can i try?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC was only shipped with a HP version 7 BIOS so the NVIDIA 970 is not going to work. There is no provision in a version 7 BIOS to disable or enable secure boot or enable UEFI/legacy.  You would see those selections under the security tab in the BIOS if such selection existed.

Try one of these NVIDIA GTX 660 models.  You only need a 450 watt PSU.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.