Question

Intern
hapkiman
Message 1 of 6 (294 Views)
Accepted Solution

Processor upgrade in Phoenix

hw info.pngI just have a question in regard to my HPE Phoenix 1120t (which I absolutely love by the way).  Mine is equipped with a i7 3770 -a MSI GTX 670 Power Edition (that I added of course).  I also upgraded the RAM to 4x4 DIMMs of 1600MHz Crucial Ballistix, and it has a 160GB Intel 320 SSD as boot drive with Win 7 Prem (and a Hitachi 1TB HDD 7200RPM for storage). I also have the HP liquid cooling set-up and the BD ROM drive.  I'm very happy with my computer and haven't had any issues that required any serious repairs/adjustments.  None at all.  It is quite fast and is perhaps one of the best OEM pre-builts you can get, if not the best.  HP has a very good quality system here, although their marketing department sucks, because no one seems to know anything about this rig and its been out for over a year. 

My question is this:  I recently traded for a used but perfect condition i7 3770k in the box for a non working Dell XPS 7100 rig (it had a good Phenom II x6 1090T and a good GTX 560 Ti and PSU-but the mobo's fried and the case was damaged). 

So as I'm setting here looking at this box with a i7 3770k in it on my desk the other day, I thought why not just drop the i7 3770k into my Phoenix's Z75 Pegatron motherboard replacing the non k 3770?  I would get an immediate 100MHz bump in speed.  Nothing huge mind you, but some nonetheless.  Plus the limited overclocking that HP allows. 

Since I'm still under warranty I won't change the CPU if it would void it (does it? I can't tell through all that mumbo jumbo).  But after the warranty expires, then why not?  I know how to do it np (I've built a few rigs from scratch), and while I'm in there I could clean off the old paste, and add some new MX-4 TIM.

But would this proc works without any adjustments or BIOS update or flashes?  Because they are for all intents and purposes the same processor, so I would think no adjustment would be required.  The Phoenix is available with a i7 3770k now, and I see by the specs, the model with the "k" version uses my same Z75 Pegatron 2AD5 mobo, but I can't find any mention of what version the BIOS is (my BIOS is version 7.09 dated 03/14/12).  Obviously there has to be some type of UEFI that I don't have now for the limited OC'ing HP allows on the k version.  So I'm thinking I'd have to update the BIOS (which often causes problems).

So please HP experts, some advice on this matter would be appreciated.  I won't be heartbroken if I can't do it (cause its a great rig already), and I can always sell the i7 3770k, but I'm kind of wanting to try it now if its allowed, or when my warranty is up, if it's not allowed now.  

Thanks - any advice/input is appreciated.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 6 (279 Views)

Re: Processor upgrade in Phoenix

Here are the specs for the IPMMB-FM (Formosa) motherboard that in your HP Pavilion HPE h9-1120t Phoenix CTO Desktop Computer. Based on the specs, this model supports the following CPUs;

Socket type: LGA 1155 (Socket-H2) 
Intel Core i3-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core 35W
Intel Core i3-3xxx (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core  55W
Intel Core i5-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Dual Core  35W
Intel Core i5-3xxxT (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core  45W
Intel Core i5-3xxxS (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core  65W
Intel Core i5-3xxx (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core  77W
Intel Core i7-3xxx (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core  77W
Intel Core i7-3xxxK (Ivy Bridge) Quad Core  77W
Intel Core i3-2xxx (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core  65W
Intel Core i3-2xxxT (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core  35W
Intel Core i5-2xxx (Sandy Bridge) Quad Core  95W
Intel Core i7-2xxx (Sandy Bridge) Quad Core  95W
Intel Pentium G6xx (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core  65W
Intel Pentium G6xxT (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core  35W
Intel Pentium G8xx (Sandy Bridge) Dual Core  65W

There are no BIOS updates listed downloads section for your computer. As far as the warranty is concerned, upgrades don't void the warranty unless the upgrade or process of upgrading damages the computer. If you have installed or changed out a CPU before, go for it.

One other thing I noticed... your Intel SSD appears to be running at SATA2 3Gb/s... should it not be SATA3 6Gb/s??? You may have it connected to a SATA2 port by mistake.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Intern
hapkiman
Message 3 of 6 (274 Views)

[ Edited ]

No.  Good eye, but unfortunately the Intel 160GB 320 series does not run at Sata II 6Gb/s speeds, only at SATA II 3/Gbs.  It's a very early SSD.  But this is still very fast when compaired to a standard 7200RPM HDD like my Hitachi.  The Formosa mobo does have two SATA II 6/Gbs slots (SATA0, SATA1), so I have been thinking about upgrading that as well, to a larger/faster SSD.

I noticed the same thing when I first got the rig, but after researching the 320 series I found out.  It even says SATA II 3Gb/s on the drive's label. 

Any thoughts on the UEFI for the i7 3770k?  I have read on other posts that there is one (albeit quite nerfed), but I don't have one at all.

SSD.png

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 4 of 6 (269 Views)

Please see this HP support document entitled "BIOS Settings for the Formosa Motherboard". Based on this document, I would say the computer already has a UEFI compatible BIOS. UEFI shouldn't be needed to support the "K" CPU.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

Intern
hapkiman
Message 5 of 6 (250 Views)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp61001-61500/sp61282.html

Ok Im gonna try it.  I did find some info (finally) on the UEFI. 

It has a exhaustive list of HP rigs that are compatible, but my HPE Phoenix h9 1120t is not on it!  You've got to be kidding!  Oh well. 

I'm still gonna try it.

Thanks.  Worst case scenario: It wont POST and Ill just have to put the non k 3770 back in and use my system restore disc.

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 6 of 6 (240 Views)

SP61282 that you are refering to has nothing to do with supporting hardware like CPUs, hard drives, etc. It installs a "PC Hardware Diagnostics" package for testing system components. Again, based on the "BIOS Setting" document, your computer uses a UEFI compatible BIOS.

Please send KUDOs

Frank

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation