Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Prodesk 400 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I have an interesting problem that I hope you guys could help me with.

I have a Prodesk 400 G1 SFF and I am trying to upgrade the onboard graphics card to a GeForce 210.

The thing is when I put the card in the slot and then start the computer the onboard card and the new one

comes into conflict.

It seems to boot all the way to the windows login screen but the only thing you can see is the cursor (when you move
the mouse) on a black background. When I remove the new card the computer starts and the screen works fine

I've tried to install the GeForce 210 drivers without the card in the slot but then I get an error message saying that the
hardware is not found and the installation cannot continue. 

I've even tried to insert the new card with windows booted (I know, not a good idea) to see if the installation process
would detect the card then but I got the same message "Hardware not found".

It seems I'm pretty locked. I can't put the card in the slot because then the screen doesn't work and I can't
install the drivers without the card because it needs to be inserted in order for it to be installed.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to solve this problem or do any of you had similar experiences?

Appreciate the help,

Fredrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Fredrik.

Yes, without the new card installed...First go into the bios, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot. 

A non HP video card will not work on any HP PC that comes with W8 or newer from the factory, unless these BIOS settings are changed.

Normally the PC won't even boot with those setting enabled and a non HP video card installed.

Then after you change those settings (without the new card installed), reboot the PC and go into windows, go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device category, right click on the Intel HD graphics, select uninstall and check the uninstall driver box.

Do not reboot as prompted.  Shut down the PC and install the video card. 

Turn on the PC, hope it works, and then install the drivers.

If you run into any difficulties (which I doubt you will) you can always remove the graphics card,  clear the CMOS which will reset all the BIOS settings to their defaults.

Then just reinstall the Intel graphics drivers.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Update: I've talked to the support and apparently the GeForce 210 isn't supported by HP. It could have worked anyway but apparantly GeForce 210 is not one of them that works anyway.

If you want to be sure that you get a Prodesk 400 G1 SFF supported card here is the list.

AMD Radeon HD 8470 Graphics Card
NVIDIA NVS 310 Graphics Card
NVIDIA NVS 315 1GB PCIe x 16 Graphics Card
NVIDIA GeForce GT630 Graphics Card 

AMD Radeon HD 8350 1GB PCie x16 DH Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 8490 1GB PCie x16 Graphics Card

Source: http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04123127.pdf

(Supported graphic cards start on p.25.)

I'm now going for NVIDIA GeForce GT630.

Hope that helps you guys with the same problems.

Fredrik

HP Recommended

Hi, Fredrik:

First of all, I am surprised that the onboard graphics is not automatically disabled when you install a PCIe x16 graphics card.

That is what happens on all of my HP business desktop PC's.

Prior to installing the new video card, did you:

1. Since your PC is running W8 (and I assume it came that way from the factory), did you go into the BIOS and enable legacy mode and disable secure boot prior to installing the new graphics card?  If not, you need to.

2. Uninstall the onboard Intel graphics adapter in the device manager, check the uninstall driver box too, and then shut down the PC and install your new video card?

Those would be the only two suggestions I can think of.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I actualy asked the support personal if there was anything I could do in the BIOS to make it work but they said that there wasn't. I'm glad to hear your suggestion. I will try it out and let you know how it worked.

I did not do the steps you mentioned.

Just making sure. So I should enter BIOS and enable legacy mode and disable secure boot then enter windows and uninstall the onboard Intel graphics adapter in the device manager and also check the uninstall driver box,  

without the new card inserted?

Then insert the card, start computer, enter windows and install the proper drivers for the new card?

Is there any risk that the screen will go total blank and impossible to recover after disabling the onboard graphics card or will it go back to default if these steps doesn't work?

It's my grandparents computer and I don't want to get them too much headache :).

Appreciate your help,

Fredrik

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Fredrik.

Yes, without the new card installed...First go into the bios, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot. 

A non HP video card will not work on any HP PC that comes with W8 or newer from the factory, unless these BIOS settings are changed.

Normally the PC won't even boot with those setting enabled and a non HP video card installed.

Then after you change those settings (without the new card installed), reboot the PC and go into windows, go to the device manager, click to expand the display adapters device category, right click on the Intel HD graphics, select uninstall and check the uninstall driver box.

Do not reboot as prompted.  Shut down the PC and install the video card. 

Turn on the PC, hope it works, and then install the drivers.

If you run into any difficulties (which I doubt you will) you can always remove the graphics card,  clear the CMOS which will reset all the BIOS settings to their defaults.

Then just reinstall the Intel graphics drivers.

HP Recommended

Got it! 

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Looking forward to reading good news!

HP Recommended

Paul, it worked like a charm!

I really appreciate all of your help, couldn't have done it without you.

Many thanks again!

Fredrik

HP Recommended

Anytime, Fredrik.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.