Question

Student
Jack_Sadler_168
Message 1 of 5 (1,340 Views)

Product Key for Microsoft Word Applications

Hello, recently my mother bought a laptop and she is able to use microsoft applications without problems, without having to insert the product key which was on the bottom of her laptop (note this is not a trial version) (when i say mircosoft applications i mean word, presentation, excell ect) when I got my laptop It came preloaded with microsoft applications but It kept asking me for a product key so the product key (just like my mums did at first, she didnot purchase another product key) which was on the bottom it was not vallied I spoke to a mircosoft advisor who advised me to speak to the company that i bought the laptop from, my laptop is compaq and I'm wondering what to do, if anyone could help me that would be fantastic and as my laptop was advertised as free use of microsoft applications you expect to be able to use them for free & I am a student and in need to be able to complete coursework for studies. The question is how am I going to use it without having to purchase another product key? Thank you

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 5 (1,331 Views)

Re: Product Key for Microsoft Word Applications

The product key on the laptop is the OS key, not one for any other application.  Microsoft word is not the same as Microsoft Office.(which has Excel, Presentation, etc) However, I think Microsft Works is a free apllication contained on many new computers.  If the features of Microsoft Office is what is needed but free alternative is OpenOffice: http://download.cnet.com/OpenOffice-org/3000-18483_4-10263109.html

Or LibreOffice: http://download.cnet.com/LibreOffice/3000-18483_4-75337651.html

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
PhD Student
WaseemW
Message 3 of 5 (1,324 Views)

none of the MS office version is free... if you purchased a product it can have office preloaded full version or preloaded trial version. if its a full version, it wont ask for kay. also key pasted on the CD shipped along.

if its a limited period tried offer, you will be asked to purchased the key once its expired. also, if its a trial version with unlimited usage, some features are disabled and ads are seen while you use the product...

now the options for you are 

1) verify if you have the full version and insert the key for activation. - by calling HP or just by checking the box CDs itself.

2) purchase a ket if the office is not full version.

3) choose alternatives such as openoffice from openoffice.org

hope it helps

Regards,
WW
“I am an HP Employee“
***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem***
Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 4 of 5 (1,311 Views)

Microsoft Office is not free. MIcrosoft Works is free.

Microsoft Office:

Microsoft Word ,

Microsoft PowerPoint,

Microsof tOneNote,

Microsoft Excel

MIcrosoft Works:

MIcrosoft Works Word Processor, 

MIcrosoft Works Calendar,  

MIcrosoft Works Database, 

MIcrosoft WorksPortfolio,

MIcrosoft Works Spreadsheet,

MIcrosoft Works Task Launcher

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W Corsair, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Tutor
banzama15
Message 5 of 5 (1,281 Views)

[ Edited ]

If your laptop product is valid to use and doesn't cross  microsoft rules and regulation then you can use this product key which is below in your laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation