Question

Tutor
BrendanZ
Message 1 of 11 (226 Views)

Question about Optical drive

Hello everyone! About 2 months ago I purchased an HP Envy Phoenix 800-060. Ever since I had it, when I turn it on, for about 3 seconds the optical drive makes sort of like a grinding noise. It's not a loud one, though. The noise also happens when I hit the button to open the optical drive (it opens fine) then it happens again when I close it. I don't know what this noise is, and am getting worried about it. The optical drive works fine though, and has no problems. Can someone help?
Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 11 (222 Views)

Re: Question about Optical drive

Hi,

That's is very normal during machine checks its I/O devices when startup and access the device when requested. By the way, it's a mechanical device.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
BrendanZ
Message 3 of 11 (221 Views)

I was curious because I checked a 700-056 optical drive and the sounds it makes today, and it is completely quiet. I also believe it has the exact same optical drive
Tutor
BrendanZ
Message 4 of 11 (213 Views)

Also, I noticed it takes a few seconds to open after I hit the button. In most cases, it would open immediately, right?
Provost
banhien
Message 5 of 11 (207 Views)

Hi,

Just testing my machines around  from 2 secs to 5 secs. Only one of my machine does not show moving sound, it's a 5 years old E6400.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
BrendanZ
Message 6 of 11 (203 Views)

I'm not talking about when it's moving. I'm talking about when it's firm in place inside the box. Sorry for the confusion
Tutor
BrendanZ
Message 7 of 11 (188 Views)

I am talking about when it is fully closed. After it completely closes, it makes a little grinding noise about 3 times. It reads disks fine with no problems
Tutor
BrendanZ
Message 8 of 11 (157 Views)

Let me explain it more clearly:

If I hit the button to open the optical drive, it takes about 1 second to START to open. After it opens, and I hit the button again, it goes back into the case fine. After it's fully in place, it starts a (sort of) grinding noise. It's not loud or annoying. It's barely even noticeable, but it's louder than other pcs optical drives. It will continue on the grinding noise for about two seconds, and will stop. The same goes if I put a disk in, but it will read the disk after that with no problem
Tutor
BrendanZ
Message 9 of 11 (142 Views)

[ Edited ]
Intern
hapkiman
Message 10 of 11 (113 Views)

I have an HPE Phoenix h9-1120t with this Blu-ray drive: [hp  BD  E  DH12E3SHB].   Mine is as quiet as a mouse. 

The only noise made is when I open and close drawer (the same noise yours makes on your video).

But, if yours is working you might leave it alone.  Start messing with something that isn't broke, it soon will be.

And I really don't hear any "grinding" noise in your video.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation