Question

Intern
hapkiman
Message 1 of 9 (305 Views)
Accepted Solution

Question after upgrading processor in HPE Phoenix h9-1120t.

[ Edited ]

Hello all.  I had been debating about changing out the processor (a i7 3770) in my HPE Phoenix h9-1120t after I got my hands on a i7 3770k still in the box.  Due to an injury I've been off work for a few weeks - so in my sheer boredom I went ahead and changed out the proc.

It was relatively straight forward and no different than any other processor I've changed/added other than the tight space inside the Phoenix case.  And once I got the liquid cooler and fan/radiator off, it was easy as a pie.

I've had no problems at all and it booted right up on the first attempt.  Yes I know its a miniscule increase in frequency, and my Pegatron Z75 board just isn't really made for serious overclocking (I had it at 4.1GHz for about four hours using the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, and temps hovered around 45C which is fine, but I don't want to stress out my mobo so I backed it down to default speeds again).  I really don't plan on doing much OC'ing, but it's still kind of nice to have an unlocked CPU.

Interestingly, there was a pretty large amount of TIM on the CPU and waterblock when I removed it.  I've always been in the pea or BB sized camp, and I'm interested to see what the users here think.  I cleaned the cooper plate off real good with some 91% Isopropyl alcohol, and then put my little pea sized spot on the center die area of the CPU (I used Artic MX-4), allowing the waterblock to spread it out when mounted.  My temps really seem about the same though.  I idle about 28-30C, which is what they were on the non k.  I wonder if there have been any good studies about thermal paste, and if someone has proven the entire CPU surface painted on method or the pea sized dab method is best.

I do have a question though.  Warranty related.  Since I still have a year left on my warranty, what if something happens and I need to send the entire rig in for repair to HP?  Do I have to restore the original components and put the old non k 3770 back in?  The reason I asked is that I have a chance to sell the old proc, but I was worried I might need it if something bad happens and I'm in need of repair/service.

screen shot 2.png

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 9 (290 Views)

Re: Question after upgrading processor in HPE Phoenix h9-1120t.

[ Edited ]

As far as thermal compound is concerned... too much is as bad as not enough. Overall there should be a very thin layer of compound... just enough to fill in the voids between the mating surfaces.

As far the warranty goes... return all stock components to the computer and backup or make acomplete image of your hard drive(s). I had received an upgraded graphics card from HP because the specs were incorrect and I relied on them to purchase the computer. The customer support escalations manager told me to keep the original card that matched the correct specs in case the system had to go in for service. I guess this is because the technician may replace components with stock parts... if the tech does, you may be out of an Intel i7 3770k. There are also many forum threads about component being change and hard drives being wiped clean.

Please send KUDOs

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Intern
hapkiman
Message 3 of 9 (274 Views)

Ok - glad I asked.  I'll keep the original processor.  I'll just put it in the box the 37770k came in for safekeeping.  Thanks.

Top Student
LewisCooper
Message 4 of 9 (200 Views)

I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you removed your liquid cooling radiator and fan? It looks like maybe just the four scews on the very back of the case?

I need to remove it so I can access the RAM sockets in order to add two more sticks of RAM.

I was also worried bout the hoses leaking when I move the radiator and fan out of the way? Probably just paranoia but amd am leary of them leaking and ruining the motherboard and voiding my warranty.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lewis

Intern
hapkiman
Message 5 of 9 (198 Views)

Yes, I removed the entire liquid cooling unit and took the opportunity to blow the dust out of the radiator, and I cleaned off the old thermal paste from the copper heatsink end.   Just be careful and you'll be fine.  These units are pretty solid and not prone to leakage unless you handle it roughly by the fittings or crimp the hoses.  I'm not sure why you need to remove the unit to add RAM though.  I completely changed out all of my RAM to Crucial 1600MHz and could easily reach the DIMM slots.

Also, from what I have seen, HP produced two versions of the CPU closed looped liquid coolers for the Phoenix.  Although they both have the same Asetek made pump and heatsink, the earlier models have clear and much cheaper/less durable plastic tubing.  The later models have much sturdier black rubber tubing which is what my model has.  Hopefully you have the one with the black tubing as they are less likely to leak, break, or get brittle with age.

There are 4 long screws holding the fan onto the radiator, and four screws on the back of the case holding the entire unit in place.  Its actually very easy to remove, again, just handle with kid gloves and you'll be fine.  Just be careful not to tug or pull on any of the fittings and connections, and then when you reconnect everything , let it run for a while and double check for any sign of leaks.  Using a flashlight helps.

Top Student
LewisCooper
Message 6 of 9 (196 Views)

Thanks for your quick reply.

1. Yes mine has the new black hoses.

2. I must removethe liquid cooler/fan because they set directly over the two empty RAM sockets.

3. JUst to be clear I can just remove the 4 screws on the back of case to move the radiator and fan as one piece just long enough to insert the two RAM sticks?

4. I will NOT be removing the CPU so I will not have to do anything with thermal paste.

5. One of my concerns was if there is enough hose to actually allow the radiator/fan to be moved, also did youhave to unplug the fan wires from the motherboard?

Of course I will be very careful with the hoses but it does concern me that I could cause a leak and void my warranty but I purchased this PC to do heavy video editting and reall need all the RAM I can get.

Thanks again.

Intern
hapkiman
Message 7 of 9 (189 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well it is certainly possible that you could cause a leak -but its not very likely.  Nothing is a certainty of course.  But I seriously doubt you will, as you sound like you'll be very careful and go slowly (don't forget about discharging your body's static electricity by touching the metal case a few times every 30 seconds or so). 

And yes the four screws on the back of the case will allow you to remove the radiatior and fan as one unit and move it out of the way while you insert your DIMMs.  Yes, that's the scary part, but I think you'll find its very easy once you do it.  

If your cooler is over your DIMM slots you must have the LGA 2011 motherboard with either the Sandy Bridge-E or the Ivy Bridge-E processors (i.e. i7 3930k/i73960x or i7 4930k/i74960x).  That would be why your set up is different than my LGA 1155, Z75 chipset board, as your mobo is larger than mine and is obviously in a different position.  Just carefully disconnect all cables and connections and power from the back of the desktop and lay the computer on its side with the open panel side facing you, and after you remove the cooler unit, carefully lay it aside while you insert your DIMMs.  I often would use a piece of duct tape - taped from  the side of the cooler to the side of the case to hold the cooler securely out of my way for a min. while I was working with the slots and RAM (unless you have a friend who will help you and hold it while you insert the sticks).  You dont need to disconnect the fan header unless the wires are too short.  It plugs right back in so no biggie either way.

Leak test after youre done for peace of mind.  Turn it on for a min. then power down and look all around (a flashlight is a must) for any leaks or drips.  Then let it run for a while with the side panel still off and keep looking for leaks for a minute with the flashlight.

Seriously - I think you'll be fine.  Those black rubber hoses are strong and you'd really have to pull on them hard to cause a leak.  Don't stress. 

Slow and steady, and secure the pump out of the way while you work {dont just lay it down where it could fall or move around too much while you work]. 

Easy peasy.

Top Student
LewisCooper
Message 8 of 9 (183 Views)

Again, thank you for your detailed and calming instructions, wish you were here offering your encouraging words! LOL

Yes I must have a different motherboard and or CPU. I have the i7-4820K and the massive GPU GTX 770.

So now my dilemma is whether or not I want to give it a whirl and according to HP void my 2 year warranty?

20140428_160840.jpg

20140428_160951.jpg

20140428_160830.jpg

Intern
hapkiman
Message 9 of 9 (179 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would go for it for the extra RAM - you'll be glad you did after its over (I like conformity/consistency, and all my DIMM slots filled with the exact same RAM), but its your rig, your money, and your peace of mind. You have to decide. 

But it can be done - and its not that difficult.  Even removing the graphics card isnt that bad.  Just takes a little time and delicacy. 

But...You can always just wait it out until the warranty expires if that is your major concern.

Best of luck!

EDIT- looking at your photos I can't tell how closely the fan sets to the DIMM slots underneath, so you may need low profile RAM.  But that's not a huge issue either.  That's why they make low profile sticks.  They're shorter and don't stick up so high.  I would match them all up if I did that though, and not mix and match diffrent brands/sizes of RAM.  Sometimes things get wonky when mixing RAM like that.  If they're all exactly the same though - you're good to go 99% of the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation