Question

Top Student
laafe
Message 1 of 6 (892 Views)

RAID levels on truckee MB question

I have e9150t.

According to HP, I have IPMTB-TK (Truckee) MB and MB specification says it has Intel ICH10R RAID controller.

RAID modes supported*:

• RAID 0
  • RAID 1

*RAID 5 requires three HDDs and RAID 10 requires four HDDs. While the hardware can support other RAID modes, only RAID 0 and RAID 1 modes are supported on models that include this motherboard.

I still need a bit of clarification.

My question is:
On Truckee MB, is it possible to use RAID 5 or 10 ?

(ie, Does "not supported" mean the Intel-ICH10R features are specifically disabled so that it can not be used or HP does not provide support for RAID mode other than 0,1, but still can be used at your own risk ?)

Thx!

PhD Student
cnfrisch
Message 2 of 6 (875 Views)

Re: RAID levels on truckee MB question

Words to the wise: Why RAID is (usually) a Terrible Idea

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
EScout209
Message 3 of 6 (716 Views)

The e9280t also uses a Truckee MB.  I too want to do RAID 5, and want to know if it’s possible on that board.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 6 (707 Views)

Most of the HP mini-towers if not all only provision for a maximum of two sata hard drives which is one reason for not supporting RAID configurations requiring more that two sata hard drives. I doubt whether the motherboard and bios would support anything other than RAID 0 or RAID 1. 

Actually, large commerical shops frequently use RAID configurations with "hot sparing". So when a drive fails, a spare is automatically brought online and rebuilt on-the-fly without any performance degradation.  Of course these large capacity RAID storage controllers are fully redundant in every way possible. Lots of $$.

You could buy an add-in card and then build an external storage array for data and then use your two internal drives for a RAID 1 configuration.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
EScout209
Message 5 of 6 (665 Views)

I can vouch for Dave on both counts.

1. Yes, the case itself will only support two hard drives.  Theoretically, you could by a conversion kit to turn the one empty 5.25” bays into a place for a 3.5” drive.  Or you could do what I did, which was to buy an external case for the third drive.  A note for others, an external drive connected to the eSATA ports on the MB, won’t RAID with the internal drives.  It will, as Dave pointed out, allow a second, external RAID group.  The external case I bought actually had a bracket that went where the cards go that allowed you to bring the one free internal SATA port out.  Problem one solved.

2. The second, I learned the hard, but definitive way.  The Truckee MB will only support RAID 0 and 1, really.  Allow me to support this statement with a narrative.  I took a snapshot of my system and then tried everything I could think of within Windows to get RAID 5 to work. 

• Installing the Intel driver over the HP one.
  • Uninstalling the HP Driver and installing the Intel driver.
  • Installing Intel’s Rapid Storage Technology over to of the “HP” one.
  • Uninstalling “HP’s” Intel Rapid Storage Technology and installing Intel’s.
  •  

None yielded an option of RAID 5.  So, since the hard drives were imaged, I went into the pre-boot RAID controller interface (the one you can get by hitting “Crtl + I” when told to before Windows launches.) and told it to delete the array.

655i05FF28DFCB8F43DD 

Then, with three unassociated physical drives, I set up an array.  Unfortunately, it became “definitive” to me when in the RAID controller’s ROM (Read ONLY Memory) interface;

656i126970DC8307CF83

there was only the options for RAID 0 and RAID 1, with no combination yielding any different result. 

657iF2C5208E9727544C

So, since I just wanted the third drive for RAID 5, not for the space, I first set up a RAID 0 array of just the disk that came with the PC.  Unfortunately, the Window’s restore tool was “too smart” and said that it was expecting to see a larger disk and would not restore on a smaller drive.  So, I added the third drive back into the array and restored my system.

3. A third bonus lesion for others.  After you add a third drive to a RAID 0 array, you ain’t getting it back.  It gets “absorbed”/”assimilated” into the array and becomes an unremoveable part of it.  The only way to get it back is a clean install, not a recovery.

Student
    AFarenci
    Message 6 of 6 (515 Views)

I've also got the 9280t. First off the case easily fits 4 drives, without adapters, modification or using the 5" expansion bay.  You just have to remove the dead weight first.

Dead weight?  No one is going to buy an over-priced, under-sized "Pocket or Personal Media Drive", so yes, dead weight.

Removing the "Pocket Media Drive" receptacle frees up a 3 1/2" bay for HD #3.  HD #4 goes into the "Personal Media Drive" cage.  Pull off the USB/power connector from the back and feed a SATA & power cable in.  I suppose you should put rails on your HD to fit the 5" space, but I just hung it from one side.  Be forewarned though, the HD cage will snap back in easily enough, but with a HD installed in the Media Bay, the release lever will be blocked. You can get it out again, but you'll either have to access the release from underneath or unscrew  the drive (assuming you didn't screw it in from both sides to begin with) to move it out of the way.

As a side benefit, you gain back two more USB ports on the motherboard, but you’ve already got 7 external USB connections without them.

Alas, all filled up and nowhere to go.  The whole point of course was to have a RAID 5 system, but as been said, it's not an option.  Besides being limited to RAID 0 or 1, you're also limited to a max of 2 volumes to a RAID.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation