Question

Student
Akeech
Message 1 of 3 (1,179 Views)

RAM detection problem

Hey,

I have  HP Pavilion Media Center TV m7571a Desktop PC and was trying to upgrade my RAM. I understand that the PC comes installed with DD2 - 533 PC2 - 4200 1GB RAM. Hence i ordered the same specification RAM but of KINGSTON make from the local computer store and trying to install, but the problem is that my computer now only detects new RAM but not the old RAM. Even if i swap the slots between the old and the new ram the final result is that it only detects new ram but not the old. If i test the old & new ram individually in the 2 available slots they perform without any dramas. but when i use them together it detects only new ram. I have checked over and over again that i have installed them properly and i don't get any error beeps during boot. and with both rams in the slots and with just one ram being detected windows does boot. Any solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks

AK

Master's Graduate
samschilling
Message 2 of 3 (1,168 Views)

Re: RAM detection problem

I would suggest you post this in the desktop PC forum.
Provost
erico
Message 3 of 3 (1,123 Views)

Re: RAM detection problem

Rules of thumb for successfully upgrading memory:

1) Do not mix brands of memory modules.

2) Do not mix single sided memory modules with double sided memory modules. All memory modules should have the same amount onboard.

3) Do not mix differing speeds (i.e. 533mhz and 400mhz)  of memory modules (memory modules will default to the lowest speed of installed RAM). 

The reason you are having your issue is probably because the chips on the new memory modules are not identical to the OEM modules.

Install two more identical Kingston RAM and your issue should go away.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation