Recovery disc too full. (2129 Views)
Honor Student
RonJay
Message 1 of 8 (2,129 Views)

Recovery disc too full.

Some jerks have been using my family Compaq without permission and have saved programs to the 'D' (recovery) disc.  It now is jam packed and I constantly get a warning window.  I'm a beginner and I have tried to access the drive to delete the additional programs with no success.  It won't let me into the drive to explore.  How can I clean up this drive by deleting the files that aren't necessary for recovery
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 8 (2,128 Views)

Re: Recovery disc too full.

That is a scary thing especially if you are not a tech person.  The Recovery Partition "D:"  is set to be very limited on space other than what is really supposed to be there.  I do not have Vista, so if you do, then someone else will have to help you but on WinXP the Recovery Partition has very few files.  On My Computer,  bring up the screen where it showes C: and D: drives, then right click on D: and then "Explore"  When you see the next screen, there will be a padlock that says Recovery, another file that says configuration, and a USER file.  That should be all that is supposed to be there.  You should be able to move any other file to the C: drive.  Do not delete anything in case you may need the file.

Hope that helps

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Provost
erico
Message 3 of 8 (2,081 Views)

Hi,

Take a read of this HP web document. You can remove some files from  the recovery partition. The following excerpt, taken from the document, is the section that pertains to your specific issue.

Delete files from the Recovery Partition
To reclaim the drive space on the Recovery Partition, locate and delete the unneeded folders and files, as follows:
  1. Click Start , type explorer in the search field, and click on Windows Explorer when it appears in the program list to open the explorer window.
  2. Click Computer in the left panel to display the names of the drives in the right panel.
  3. Double-click on the Recovery Partition, which is normally named the (D:smileyhappy: drive, to display the folders and files in the right panel.
  4. Highlight all the folders and files on the Recovery Partition, except the RECOVERY folder, and press the delete key.
The files will be removed and the space will be available to the Recovery Manager program.
regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
RonJay
Message 4 of 8 (2,059 Views)

When I double-click on the 'D' (recovery) drive, I get a window with a single file that says 'RECOVERY'.  When I try and open that file, I get a warning window that says that all files are recovery files and any changes etc.   I can't go any farther.  A few days ago, I backed up the drive to my exterior drive (My Book) hoping to see what was in there and I watched as the files transferred.  I saw a lot of extraneous files relating to my Cakewalk Sonar 8 program that were wrongly saved to 'D' by someone who doesn't know diddly shxx about computers.  These are probably WAV files and quite large.  I built a new computer and designated it to Sonar and erased all the related files from my compaq and made it a family computer.   I still need to dump at least some of the excess files on my recovery partition  Anyone got any other ideas?  Thanx for trying.
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 8 (2,043 Views)

Like I said before "On My Computer,  bring up the screen where it showes C: and D: drives, then RIGHT click on D: and then "Explore"  When you see the next screen, there will be a padlock that says Recovery" After you get that far report back as to what is there besides the Recovery file.
{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Provost
erico
Message 6 of 8 (2,003 Views)

Hi,

In Windows Explorer to view your files, you will need to set your Windows Explorer view to show full paths and file extensions.

You can do that by selecting Folder options--> View. In Advanced settings you will have toput a checkmark in the box next to "Show hidden files and folders and drives".  Then click on the "Apply to folders" button above.

That is probably whay you are seeing only a single file.

regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 8 (1,978 Views)

TheOldMan wrote:
Like I said before "On My Computer,  bring up the screen where it showes C: and D: drives, then RIGHT click on D: and then "Explore"  When you see the next screen, there will be a padlock that says Recovery" After you get that far report back as to what is there besides the Recovery file.

This is the correct way to see what is on the Recovery partition, try it and report back about what you see.

You might also check to be sure System Restore is not mointoring this partition. Right click My Computer, select Properties..go to System Restore tab.If the D: drive is set for monitoring turn it off.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
jphilip
Message 8 of 8 (1,852 Views)

I just encountered this problem and couldn't find a fix anywhere so I figured it out myself. 

Install winrar (rarlabs.com), then open winrar, and navigate to the partition, you can then see all the files that have been put in there outside of the recovery files. You can basically use this as your "explorer" and delete right from there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation