Question

Honor Student
Propnut
Message 1 of 7 (17,701 Views)

Reinstalling USB Root Hubs

Having no luck in getting a WD MY Book ext hard driver to work on my 2005 XP system, I uninstalled the USB root hubs as that was one of the recommended ways to get the device to work. I have since returned the HD as there was no way it was going to work.  But I find that the Root hubs that I uninstalled ( 2 )  just will not come back. I had not uninstalled all of them ( about 6 I think) as I wanted to be sure I would still have my USB mouse to use. The ones uninstalled are are for the rear 2 ports on my system. My front 2 ports still work fine. When I reboot, they seem to start the reloading process but in the " new hardware found" box no drivers can be found and the hubs end up as "other devices", with 2 entries showing. ( unknown device). When 'details' are looked at I see they are the USB root hubs.

Should I try a hard restart? Any other suggestions. I miss my rear USB ports!  

HP Media Center m7170n on XP
Intern
Tanton
Message 2 of 7 (17,634 Views)

Re: Reinstalling USB Root Hubs

Hi Propnut

Please disconnect all the external peripheral devices connected to the PC and then install the chipset drivers from the following web link and restart the PC for the changes to apply.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/16023/a08/infinst_autol.exe

This should fix the issue.

HP Technician

Honor Student
Propnut
Message 3 of 7 (17,621 Views)

That obviously should have worked but absolutely no difference.    
Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 4 of 7 (17,617 Views)

Did you try uising Microsoft System Restore to go back to time before all this mess occurred?
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Intern
Tanton
Message 5 of 7 (17,617 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Propnut Please perform the following steps.

1. Click on start and click on My Computer.

2. Click on Tools on the menu bar and click on Folder options.

3. Click on the View tab.

4. Select show hidden files and folders in the list to enable it.

5. Click apply and click ok.

Follow the steps given below to update the USB drivers in Windows XP:

1. Go to Start -> Run

2. Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter

3. A window will pop up named as 'Device Manager' You will find the list of hardware attached in the computer.

4. Click on the (+) sign beside "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

5. Right click on "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller" -> Click on Update Driver ->

6. Select "No. Not at this time" -> Click Next ->

7. Install from a list or specific Location (Advanced) -> Click Next ->

8. Select "Don't search, I will choose the Driver to install" -> Click Next ->

9. Select the "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller" -> Click on "Have Disk" button ->

10. Under "Look in (inf)" -> Locate the "USBVideo" and select it -> Click Open -> NOTE: Make sure that the "Show Hidden files and folders" option is selected in folder options. The INF folder would be listed in C:\Windows\INF

11. Select USB VIdeo file from the list and press OK

12. Click Ok -> Click Next -> Click Finish.

Once done with "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller" ->

Follow the same steps for all the USB drivers listed under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" section in Device Manager.

Note : If "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller", please perform the above steps for USB Universal Host Controller, USB Root Hub and USB Mass Storage Device.

Restart the computer. This would update the USB driver.

Following are additional links on USB troubleshooting.

General USB troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310575&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

314634 - Windows XP Does Not Detect Your New USB Device
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314634&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

USB device does not function after connecting device to a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer or to a Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870893&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

A USB 2.0 hub may stop working when you disconnect a USB 2.0 printer from your Windows XP-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;895962&FR=1&PA=1&SD=HSCH

In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings(Reset BIOS to Default by pressing F5 in BIOS and then press F10 to save changds and restart the PC), and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

Sometimes this action may solve USB problems.

HP Technician

Message Edited by Tanton on 12-01-2008 03:08 PM
Message Edited by Tanton on 12-01-2008 03:08 PM
Honor Student
Propnut
Message 6 of 7 (17,601 Views)

tanton,  I thought things were working fine until after I was able to update the drivers for the contollers there were no drivers available in the inf file for anything else, like the root hubs and mass storage.  

also, did you mean "if no "Standard......."   I could not find any Standard Enhanced.....and the closest thing was a usb2 enhanced host controller.

Note : If "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Controller", please perform the above steps for USB Universal Host Controller, USB Root Hub and USB Mass Storage Device.

Student
JonnyBoy1234
Message 7 of 7 (4,790 Views)

There's another way to reinstall drivers in this kind of situation. 

Since you "removed" the driver in Device Manager, Windows didn't actually remove the files. They're still right there in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS, and the corresponding .INF files are in C:\WINDOWS\INF.

Windows, however, will refuse to install from the \INF directory, claiming that it couldn't find a matching driver. So you have to copy all the .INF files from that folder that begin with "usb" to another folder. Using the Command Prompt (CMD.EXE), you could do this:

CD \WINDOWS\INF

MKDIR \USB

COPY USB*.INF \USB

The files could also be copied using Windows Explorer (EXPLORER.EXE), but it's more work.

Then, in the Device Manager (DEVMGMT.MSC), right-click on the Unknown Device and choose to "Update [the] Driver..."

Install from a "list or specific location", and choose the option "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." When it asks for the Hardware Type, that's "Universal Serial Bus controllers," and once you click that, the "Have Disk" button finally appears. Click that, and tell it to copy the manufacturer's files from C:\USB (the directory you copied the files from earlier).

You'll finally see an option to install a USB Root Hub, but when you select it, it'll ask for files it claims must come from the Windows XP CD. That dialog box also gives you the option to install from a directory on your hard drive. That directory is C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS

The installer will ask you for the location of each and every driver file. They're all in the same place.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation