Question
Top Student
Message 1 of 6 (12,240 Views)
Accepted Solution

Removable devices still show on My Computer after removed

Running Windows 7 on new HP desktop. Wife loaded data from several thumb drives and took them out without unmounting them first. I now have 4 or so drives taken up even though  devices are long since removed and PC rebooted. They are listed on the window as "Devices with Removable Storage" as "Removable Disk (h:smileyhappy:", etc. How do I get rid of them and open those drive letters up for use again?

Accepted Solution

Re: Removable devices still show on My Computer after removed

I did some more testing and found you were right. Those are card readers, not thumb drives. I created a new logon and they weren't there until I used one of the front USB ports, then all 4 appeared. Wierd, but then I've never had card readers attached to my PC. [Used to use key punch machine to create card decks, but that's another story.]

Thanks for helping me even when I didn't know what I was talking about.

Solution accepted.

View solution in context
Associate Dean
Message 2 of 6 (12,212 Views)

[ Edited ]

What you describe maybe your card readers.

Add a single thumb drive, and record it's drive letter. Remove.

Add 2 thumb drives, and record their drive letters. Remove.

Report back your findings.

Here is "My Computer". An inserted thumb drive would show up as Letter J.

Added hard drive.jpg

I am a volunteer. I am not an HP employee.
To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. You can render both Solution and KUDO.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me KUDO and/or Solution, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t E8400,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (12,201 Views)

Before adding thumb drives I show

DVD RW drive (E:smileyhappy:, Removable Drives (G:, H:, I: and J:smileyhappy: [none of which really exist]

After adding 1 thumb drive it shows above with CD Drive K: U3 System [Sandisk Thumb drive  with U3 installed] and Removable Drive L:

When I open U3 and click on Eject, both drive K: and L: disappear when thumb drive removed. This is as it should be.

Add 1 thumb drive without U3 and get Removable Drive K:

Add second thumb drive without U3 and Removable Drive L:

When I right click on one of them andclick on Eject,  it disappears after I pull it from USB connection. When I right click on the other, it is removed as well, leaving me with the setup I started with:

DVD RW drive (E:smileyhappy:, Removable Drives (G:, H:, I: and J:smileyhappy: [none of which really exist]

The problem is the G, H and I drives were thumbdrives that were pulled from USB slot without being ejected. I can't seem to remove them from the display when I click on "Computer".

Associate Dean
Message 4 of 6 (12,193 Views)

The 4 in my example (M,N,O,P) are the card reader in my machine.

I suspect that (G.H,I,J) are your card readers. Try a camera card in one of those slots, and see if it changes.

All actions with the thumb drives are correct.

I am a volunteer. I am not an HP employee.
To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. You can render both Solution and KUDO.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me KUDO and/or Solution, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t E8400,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Top Student
Message 5 of 6 (12,184 Views)

I tried a camera memory card as you suggested. It showed as my I: drive. I accessed it and verified that it had my photos on it. I then right clicked on the I: drive and selected Eject. Got the message that it was safe to remove and did so.the drive still showed on Computer. I then Rebooted and the I:drive is still showing on Computer along with all the others.

Besides, I KNOW (she told me) the extra Removable Disks  were caused by my wife removing a thumb drive after copying data from it to the new PC without ejecting it first and putting in another one to copy stuff from it.

Top Student
Message 6 of 6 (12,171 Views)

I did some more testing and found you were right. Those are card readers, not thumb drives. I created a new logon and they weren't there until I used one of the front USB ports, then all 4 appeared. Wierd, but then I've never had card readers attached to my PC. [Used to use key punch machine to create card decks, but that's another story.]

Thanks for helping me even when I didn't know what I was talking about.

Solution accepted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation