Removable devices still show on My Computer after removed (10818 Views)
Top Student
David_St
Message 1 of 6 (10,818 Views)
Accepted Solution

Removable devices still show on My Computer after removed

Running Windows 7 on new HP desktop. Wife loaded data from several thumb drives and took them out without unmounting them first. I now have 4 or so drives taken up even though  devices are long since removed and PC rebooted. They are listed on the window as "Devices with Removable Storage" as "Removable Disk (h:smileyhappy:", etc. How do I get rid of them and open those drive letters up for use again?

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 2 of 6 (10,790 Views)

Re: Removable devices still show on My Computer after removed

[ Edited ]

What you describe maybe your card readers.

Add a single thumb drive, and record it's drive letter. Remove.

Add 2 thumb drives, and record their drive letters. Remove.

Report back your findings.

Here is "My Computer". An inserted thumb drive would show up as Letter J.

Added hard drive.jpg

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, HP Deskjet F4135

Top Student
David_St
Message 3 of 6 (10,779 Views)

Before adding thumb drives I show

DVD RW drive (E:smileyhappy:, Removable Drives (G:, H:, I: and J:smileyhappy: [none of which really exist]

After adding 1 thumb drive it shows above with CD Drive K: U3 System [Sandisk Thumb drive  with U3 installed] and Removable Drive L:

When I open U3 and click on Eject, both drive K: and L: disappear when thumb drive removed. This is as it should be.

Add 1 thumb drive without U3 and get Removable Drive K:

Add second thumb drive without U3 and Removable Drive L:

When I right click on one of them andclick on Eject,  it disappears after I pull it from USB connection. When I right click on the other, it is removed as well, leaving me with the setup I started with:

DVD RW drive (E:smileyhappy:, Removable Drives (G:, H:, I: and J:smileyhappy: [none of which really exist]

The problem is the G, H and I drives were thumbdrives that were pulled from USB slot without being ejected. I can't seem to remove them from the display when I click on "Computer".

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 4 of 6 (10,771 Views)

The 4 in my example (M,N,O,P) are the card reader in my machine.

I suspect that (G.H,I,J) are your card readers. Try a camera card in one of those slots, and see if it changes.

All actions with the thumb drives are correct.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, HP Deskjet F4135

Top Student
David_St
Message 5 of 6 (10,762 Views)

I tried a camera memory card as you suggested. It showed as my I: drive. I accessed it and verified that it had my photos on it. I then right clicked on the I: drive and selected Eject. Got the message that it was safe to remove and did so.the drive still showed on Computer. I then Rebooted and the I:drive is still showing on Computer along with all the others.

Besides, I KNOW (she told me) the extra Removable Disks  were caused by my wife removing a thumb drive after copying data from it to the new PC without ejecting it first and putting in another one to copy stuff from it.

Top Student
David_St
Message 6 of 6 (10,749 Views)

I did some more testing and found you were right. Those are card readers, not thumb drives. I created a new logon and they weren't there until I used one of the front USB ports, then all 4 appeared. Wierd, but then I've never had card readers attached to my PC. [Used to use key punch machine to create card decks, but that's another story.]

Thanks for helping me even when I didn't know what I was talking about.

Solution accepted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation