Question

Honor Student
ljt207
Message 1 of 4 (3,167 Views)

Replacing Mobo on HP Media PC m7000

I had a computer repair tech look at my HP m7000 because it wouldn't start (no fans, no nothing). He checked power suppy, I had already replaced video card and he said he could smell the burned moterhboard as soon as he opened the case. I wanted to replace the motherboard, which he said is ASUS-PSBW-LA, but we couldn't find anywhere locally.  I have used a sata adapter to check my 2 500gb hard drives and they appear to be fine. I realize I may have to replace memory, but that I can do. My question is this: is it worth replacing the mobo in this pc (which I love when it works and has everything I need)? If so, is it reasonably be something I can manage myself (I've replaced optical drives, RAM, but don't have fundamental knowledge of most inside the box stuff) and what board would be best to use for replacement?  Thanks so much. 

Tutor
PaulSr
Message 2 of 4 (3,163 Views)

Re: Replacing Mobo on HP Media PC m7000

[ Edited ]
It would be a waste of time to ressurect your pc, get a new one and throw your old hard drive in for extra storage space.  You could even get a barbones pc and put your leftover hardware in it (if they're fairly new)
Message Edited by PaulSr on 11-29-2009 12:02 PM
Honor Student
ljt207
Message 3 of 4 (3,157 Views)

Thank you. That is the advice the repair tech gave me. The video card is brand new (nVideo8400GS) and I just put a new Plextor DVD writer in it. I got discouraged when I priced new systems with the same specs as my old HP, which cost about $1400 3 years or so ago. I don't know enough, or think I don't to rebuild bare bones - any good resources you could recommend to learn about doing this myself? Is answer in general that it is hardly ever worth replacing a mobo that goes bad?

One more question. If I rebuild or get someone to rebuild with bare bones system, will I be able to restore my c: drive using HP restore on drive or with disc I bought as precaution? TIA.

Tutor
PaulSr
Message 4 of 4 (3,144 Views)

If you paid that much maybe HP can get you a replacement mb?  DONT use any restore cd's or you'll wipe your files.

check this site:

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/HP,Media-Center-Elite-Desktop,m8200,GN689AA,Computer,Parts.aspx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation