Question

Honor Student
reynolds97
Message 1 of 3 (10,939 Views)

Replacing Network Adapter?

Three days ago, the network adapter on my a1710n desktop shot craps.  Ive been on chat support four times since then with HP - once they told me to do a system restore, which I did and it didnt work, then they sent me the driver for the 6to4 adapter.  I installed that, didnt work.  Now Im getting an error message that says I have no network adapter installed.  Someone at Microsoft forums said it sounds like I need to replace my network adapter altogether.  So where do I get one and is it easily installed?  I no longer have a warranty and Im guessing this is something that isn't covered by the $50 one time support fee they told me about when I called them initially.

Any info is appreciated!

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 2 of 3 (10,934 Views)

Re: Replacing Network Adapter?

Double check your BIOS settings for the NIC, make sure it`s ``enabled``.

If it is then most likely the onboard NIC is dead.

You can install a PCI NIC adapter or a USB NIC adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
Provost
erico
Message 3 of 3 (10,897 Views)

Re: Replacing Network Adapter?

[ Edited ]

Right-click the My Computer icon and select properties then Device manager. If you do not see your network adapter in the list...right click any device and select Scan for hardware changes. If Windows sees the adapter, the driver will be installed automatically or Windows will ask your permission to do that.. If not then try adding a network adapter device via Control panel. If you are unable to do so, then your motherboard has a Southbridge problem. That means that your OS or your motherboard is going south. You can test this buy typing sfc /scannow in the search box and then enter. Windows will check your system files and replace them if they are corrupt. I would not expect this to be the case considering you have done an HP Systen Restore. Your system files should not be corrupt.

At this point you will have to add a PCI network adapter as your motherboard has no PCIe X1 slots.

Here is a link to a video to Youtube on how to do it yourself. What you will see in the video is a generic installation method that applies to virtually all PCs. 

Here is a link to Newegg that shows what you will need to purchase. You can purchase one at any electronics/pcrepair store. The PCI network cards are inexpensive, with prices beginning at @ $7.00 USD.

Message Edited by erico on 05-17-2009 03:54 AM
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation