Question

Honor Student
andyingram
Message 1 of 4 (113 Views)

Replacing my graphics card in a HP Pavillion H9 Series

I'm running windows 8 on a pavillion H9-1101ee.

I've been having grapical glitches with my stock Radeon 7950. had tried all avenues including formatting and re-installing the operating system to no avial. so had decided to get a new graphics card for the system.

I've purchased a Geforce GTX760 and i dont seem to be able to get the system up and running using the card. when i put the card in it will start up to the HP introduction page but it will never get as far as even the bios. I've done cmos resets including the battery out to see if that changes anything but nothing seems to help. I'm not getting any error beeps, therefore i assume its recognising the card is there (it is showing the HP page afterall). i can put the old AMD card back in and it will boot with that.

not sure if i'm missing a trick, or if there may be a fault with the new card. I've been through all the forums and google searches, tried a number of things, including uninstalling all the prev drivers for the AMD card, but nothing seems to help. but given that it will not get my to the bios my feeling is there could be a problem with the new card, but would appreciate any advice if there is something that i've  missed.

Cheers

Andy

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (107 Views)

Re: Replacing my graphics card in a HP Pavillion H9 Series

Hi,

It's very possible that the video bios in the NVIDIA 760 is not compatible with the BIOS in your PC.  Your PC has a non-UEFI BIOS. I wouldn't expect HP to release a BIOS update for your PC.  Check with the video card manufacturer for a remedy.

BTW -- The 7950 has a 25% bandwidth edge verses the 760.

-------------------------------

Do you know a Larry Ingram?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
andyingram
Message 3 of 4 (104 Views)

thanks for the quick reply. yes would love to keep the 7950 but i've been getting increased graphical glitches over time, think the card is on the way out.

so does that mean that all pc's prior to the UEFI will struggle to be compatible with the newer graphic cards?

thanks

andy

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 4 (93 Views)

Hi,

"so does that mean that all pc's prior to the UEFI will struggle to be compatible with the newer graphic cards?"

Will the video card manufacturers struggle to manufacture video cards that are backwards compatible with non-UEFI PCs? For some yes, for others no.

Some video card manufacturers have developed a more sohpicisated video bios that will allow the card to work with non-UEFI BIOS PCs. Some video card manufacturers offer a dual video BIOS which might make it possible to offer support for both non-UEFI and UEFI PC BIOS. Some video card manufacturers may offer patches for backwards compatibility but then in some cases only with their own motherboards. Some video card manufacturers have designated their video cards UEFI supported and other indicating backwards compatible with legacy PC BIOS. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation