Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm repairing an HP Pavilion S5120Y Slimline. I've been searching for a Slimline Case Wiring Diagram to help identify the correct front panel compnent wiring to install onto my ASUS P5G41T-M LX Plus motherboard. I have the diagram for the motherboard but I want to insure connecting the wires corectly to prevent damage to the board or the components.

Anyone have a link to this would be much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Your 4-pin cable from the HP 6-in-1 reader is a USB 2.0 connection.
WATCH POLARITY -- POWER, GROUND.
You can damage motherboard USB IC, Surface mount; OR 6-in-1 Reader.

HP had a bad habit of using various Cable Kluges on their Front Panel wiring
to support a variety of motherboards.
Largely due to lack of USB 2.0 headers on motherboards, a decade ago.

** You should see their a000 computer case wiring ! ** (I have one, retrofitting to Intel standards).
===
The Optical CD/DVD may be an LED or a simple switch. Did it originally connect to Drive or Motherboard?
May not be supported on Asus motherboard ...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

ASUS P5G41T-M LX Plus motherboard

Product Support Page

ASUS P5G41T-M LX Series motherboards include P5G41T-M LX V2 and P5G41T-M LX PLUS two models.  The layout varies with models. The layout illustrations in this user guide are for P5G41T-M LX PLUS only.

TURN to Page 1-24 of the Asus motherboard manual.

This shows the motherboard internal headers LOCATION for USB connections.

This motherboard uses the Standard 2x5 header (with pin 9 missing for correct alignment)

for USB front (or back) panel connections.

usb_header%20pinout.jpgUSB_2x5.png
--

Your HP Pavilion S5120Y formerly used the Pegatron M2N68-LA motherboard.
HP/Compaq Code Name: Narra6-GL6
The motherboard uses 2 in-line 1x5 headers (with pin 5 missing), as well as the 2x5 headers.

cpx101_2p2.gif

===

READ the FRONTX web page (link below),

they have best Illustrations for proper USB header usage.

http://www.frontx.com/cpx101_2.html

This is likely the intenal connection that you will need to make for your USB front header case cables.

indexp3.gif

cpx101_2p12.gif

HP Recommended

Thanks Beatgr,

Unfortunately the images you attached do not display/open. The usb headers were no problem. it's the cable for the multi-card reader I need and the twisted 2-wire connector that lays flat in the case, under the mobo.

HP Recommended
Using and Troubleshooting Memory Card Readers (HP Support)
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07910

GO TO the FrontX web page (I provided you that web page link), IF you can not see attached images.
--
HP S5120Y Slimline Desktop uses a 6-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader.
This Card Reader is a USB 2.0 device.

I have DIY assembled a proper USB interconnect cable for internal headers,
since the OEM suppliers to HP used a variety of connection methods at card reader PC board.
--
I do not understand your 2-wire cable reference, which could be front panel LED for ON/OFF or Hard Drive operation.

Unless you can post a photo (Pictures says a thousand words), I can not advise you.
YES, I could address this issue -- BUT your computer is not on my electronics workbench.
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for all the info you provided already (more than I expected). Also my appology for not providing pictures earlier as I was hoping to find a wiring diagram for the S5120Y showing identification info.

unknown s5120y connectors.JPG

Per your instruction, I connected the larger 4-pin connector to an available USB header. The two connectors still in question are the small 4-pin and the small 2-pin plugs pictured. The 4-pin cable comes from the 6 in 1 Reader. The 2-pin cable is from the Optical Drive Eject Button activated by the actuator on the front panel. The card reader isn't important but the DVD eject button is.

HP Recommended
Your 4-pin cable from the HP 6-in-1 reader is a USB 2.0 connection.
WATCH POLARITY -- POWER, GROUND.
You can damage motherboard USB IC, Surface mount; OR 6-in-1 Reader.

HP had a bad habit of using various Cable Kluges on their Front Panel wiring
to support a variety of motherboards.
Largely due to lack of USB 2.0 headers on motherboards, a decade ago.

** You should see their a000 computer case wiring ! ** (I have one, retrofitting to Intel standards).
===
The Optical CD/DVD may be an LED or a simple switch. Did it originally connect to Drive or Motherboard?
May not be supported on Asus motherboard ...
HP Recommended

beatgr, Please ignore my latest post. I've decided to just buy a new case. This particular slimline isn't a good case for the P5G41T-M LX Plus. The power supply covers too much of the mother board. Sorry for wasting your time. I was just trying to save someone some money.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.