Question

Student
fireonhigh
Message 1 of 3 (1,480 Views)

SD card slot problems on hp m8400f

I'm having troubles with the combined SD/mini/MMC/RS/Plus/Mobile card slot reading my SD card.  It will recognize the card the first time I insert it after turning on the computer, but after doing the safe removal and taking out the card, it won't recognize the card again unless I restart the computer.  When I put the SD card in the slot without restarting, nothing at all happens except that the green LED by the slot comes on.  In addition, if I restart the computer so that the card actually reads, when I do the "safely remove," the message that pops up saying that I can safely remove it calls it a USB device instead of an SD card.  None of the other computers or devices I use have either of these problems.  Anyway, I would at least like to get it so that I can use the card more than once without restarting.

Thanks,

Luke

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 2 of 3 (1,457 Views)

Re: SD card slot problems on hp m8400f

It's just a buggy board.  Also could be caused by a funky card reader.  You could swap the card reader to another PC and retest.  If okay, then the MB is at fault.  BIOS update may fix a buggy board.  Course don't hold your breath cause this is an OEM HP board.
Tutor
mave_rick
Message 3 of 3 (1,428 Views)

Re: SD card slot problems on hp m8400f

Hi fireonhigh,

Perform the following steps and check if the issue is resolved or not.

• Unplug all USB devices connected to the computer. If you are using a USB mouse and keyboard, temporarily
    use PS/2 devices if available, otherwise leave them connected.Click Start , right-click Computer, and select Properties .
  • Click Device Manager.
  • Click the ( + ) plus sign next to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
  • Select USB Root Hub,and then click Uninstall icon. Continue until all USB Root Hubs are removed.
  • Close Device Manager and restart the computer.

For more info related to USB device troubleshooting you may visit the following website:

Vista:HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Troubleshooting USB Connections in Windows Vista

XP:HP Notebook PCs - USB Device Troubleshooting in Microsoft Windows 98, Me and XP

- an HP employee expressing his own opinion, not HPs.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation