Question
Sandy Bridge (Cougar Point mobo) on p6780t - which SATA ports?
Replies (12)

Tutor
ledoc254
Message 11 of 13 (349 Views)

Re: Sandy Bridge (Cougar Point mobo) on p6780t - which SATA ports?

It appears I don't have to do anything to take advantage of the 6Gbs SATAIII ports except to connect a 6Gbs drive but after a little research I have come to the conclusion that it  might not be worth it to do so. I found out that no mechanical hard drive can actually even take full advantage of the 3Gbs transfer rate. They just can't spin fast enough!  Also all the 6Gbs models I have researched seem to be quite loud when they re running. I am most impressed by my present configuration in how quiet it runs and will not sacrifice that for a higher number on a bench mark which probably will be the only place I actually see a difference between a 3 Gbs and a 6 Gbs mechanical drive.

I'll be darned if i am going to shell out  for  a solid state drive large enough to have even half the capacity of my present 1 Tb hard drive because i could almost literally buy two  p6780t units for the amount that  that size SSD would run me.. I guess the 6Gbs ports are forward looking additions to keep me poised for the future when the prices of SSD come down to earth!

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 12 of 13 (344 Views)

ledoc254,

You might want to consider a compromise between your current 1TB hard drive and use a hybrid hard drive to achieve a greater data transfer rate.  Since you have been researching the subject then consider the following possibilities:

1. Two 500GB hybrid hard drives in a RAID 0 configuration.  There are some downsides if one HD fails.

2. Two 640 GB SATA III hard drives with 64mb cache in a RAID 0 configuration.  Same down sides as #1.

I haven't seen a SATA III hybrid hard drive yet but that doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

Large caches on hard drives tend to help improve throughput but will not eliminate all mechanical delays (rotational delays and actuator movement delays) if there is a "cache miss". Obviously a "cache hit" will bring the data back at the speed limitations of the SATA controller on the PC and the imterface on the hard drive.  It's fairly typical for new technology such as SATA III to not reach 60% of the theoretical rate of 6 GB/s.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
ledoc254
Message 13 of 13 (319 Views)

Big_Dave,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am a bit too leery of the Raid 0 configuration to spread my data out between  two drives . I suppose as long as I back up each drive regularly if a failure did occur I could recover just as easily  as if only one drive had failed. I am more interested in the  Hybrid drive solution you mentioned.  Just out of curiosity I looked up a few of these drives at Newegg and found that the drives in the price range I would consider  combine 2 to three humdres Gb of mechanical storage with 4 Gb of solid state memory. I am now wondering how more effective that setup is compared to the Windows ReadyBoost using a USB flash memory drive of comparable size to the SS portion of the Hyberid drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation