Question

Honor Student
Chiyome
Message 1 of 6 (5,644 Views)

Some buttons on my keyboard don't work anymore

Hi. This is a problem that's been driving me crazy for months but I still can't find the solution. I've had my new HP for about a year now, but about two months after I started using it, all of the media buttons on the right edge of my keyboard stopped working, and, except for the hibernate button on the top left ledge, none of the internet buttons are working either. It's gotten to be really infuriating, but I can't fix it. HELP ME!!!!
Teacher
MrFixIt
Message 2 of 6 (5,636 Views)

Re: Some buttons on my keyboard don't work anymore

Chiyome:

I had the same problem with the PS2 enhanced keyboard attached to my m9400t system. I am running Vista x64 and here are two possible solutions to your problem.

1. Not sure of your OS, but go to Start, Control Panel, Keyboard, and select the Buttons tab. Click on the "Restore Defaults" button and then click "Apply"  This will reset your quick action keys back to their default state.  One thing I've learned is that on initial bootup the quick action key driver will NOT load immediately, there is a delay of a minute or two before the keys become active. If the key(s) don't work immediately on boot up wait a minute or two and maybe they will.

2. Go to this URL HP Keyboard (P/S2) where you will find a link to download a new driver for your keyboard.

I've learned to live with the 1 to 2 minute delay in getting the quick action keys to work.

Good luck. Hope I've helped and if so KUDO's are greatly appreciated.

CAUTION: I may not always be right, but I'll always give advice.
Kudo's gratefully accepted if I was of help to you.
Honor Student
Chiyome
Message 3 of 6 (5,624 Views)

Thanks for the help, Mr. Fixit, but I did everything you suggested (plus some new things I found on the site) with the same results. I've been wondering if my keyboard is defective, but in the end, if there is absolutely no way for me to fix it on my own, I guess I'll just have to suffer with it. :smileytongue:

Meanwhile, there still two other problems that need correcting (one just started today), and I don't know if you could possibly help with either one. The first problem is that since about last August when my screensaver was running, a black bar about 1" wide has appeared on the left side of the screen and has shoved everything over to the right. I don't know what happened to cause it. The other one started late this afternoon. I use custom icons for my files, but when they're on the toolbar the images are replaced by a folder with a green arrow sticking up, like it's going to be burned to disc. I did a lot of burning yesterday to back up my papers, so I guess that's were it's coming from. Nothing's prepped like it's waiting to be recorded, it just shows the icon on all the folders that are on the toolbar. I know I'm sounding **bleep**, but it's just irritating me. I'd appreciate any help or any recommendations where to go. Thanks again!

Teacher
MrFixIt
Message 4 of 6 (5,598 Views)

Chiyome:

This willl be a short answer.

First, sorry about the keyboard fix not working. I'll try and provide more tips on getting it fixed.

Next; you have some new problems, so I'll have to take them one at a time and try to help you solve them.

I do need to know some things to help you:

1. What model/type HP are you using?

2. What Windows OS are you using; XP or Vista? What SP level do you have installed?

3. If Vista what version, (32 or 64 bit) and do you have Administrator rights on the system?

When you provide me some more detail information I'll do my best to help you.

Honor Student
Chiyome
Message 5 of 6 (5,496 Views)

Hi Mr. Fixit. Sorry for getting back so late, but I lost the internet for few days and couldn't get back on (I fixed the icon thing--don't ask me how, because I'm still not sure myself.) I'm using a HP Pavillion Slimline s3400f PC and am running Vista. I think it's a 64 bit and I do have administrator rights. I hope that clears some things up!
Teacher
MrFixIt
Message 6 of 6 (5,488 Views)

[ Edited ]

Chiyome:

Welcome back.

Glad that you resolved your icon issue. Now that I have more specific information on your system configuration I'll work with you on the keyboard issue.

FYI: I had some teething problems with my new system running Vista x64 SP1. On reboots it would randomly lose settings that I had set for my desktop and/or file folders. After installing the Vista x64 SP2 update from Microsoft it has been better, but it still gets Alhzeimer's sometimes and "forgets" the settings. It's not a big thing, but it can be a pain.

I'll look into your specific system config and see it I can help with the keyboard. Hang in there. I hope we can resolve it for you.

Just looked at your s3400f config on the HP site.

From that you have Vista 32 bit OS and the following keyboard/mouse:

Keyboard and mouse
  • HP multimedia keyboard
  • Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
  • HP PS/2 optical mouse

My question is do you have the Quebec Keyboard Kit?

I'm in the US and maybe you are in Canada with the Quebec Keyboard Kit?

Let me know.

Message Edited by MrFixIt on 09-15-2009 04:40 PM
Message Edited by MrFixIt on 09-15-2009 04:41 PM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation