Special keys/buttons on enhanced HP keyboard no longer do anything (4584 Views)
Tutor
mikenowo
Message 1 of 8 (4,584 Views)

Special keys/buttons on enhanced HP keyboard no longer do anything

The special keys/buttons on my keyboard no longer do anything. ALL ,except for the Mute and Volume Up/Down buttons, do nothing when pressed. The Eject 1 and Eject 2 buttons used to Open/Close upper and lower the drive trays, but now do not.  I tried downloading the drivers from teh HP website but they are older than the ones I got with the computer. I tried installing them anyways but the install keeps crashing with error "If (OSLangDec=="1028" || OSLangDec=="2052" || OSLangDec=="3076") Then".

Any idea why these special keyboard buttons are non-functional at this point? 

--

System info:
 Product HP Pavilion a6200n Desktop PC  

Model #: a6200n
 Enhanced Multimedia PS/2 Keyboard
 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic 32

Grad Student
lmann
Message 2 of 8 (4,577 Views)

Re: Special keys/buttons on enhanced HP keyboard no longer do anything

Try this keyboard driver from hp:  sp40886.exe, for 32 bit vista.  I had a problem with the special keyboard buttons on my system approx the same vintage as urs, and that driver worked for me.

Barring that, have u tried a windows system restore back to a point of time before you noticed the problem?

I don't know why the buttons stopped working.  Do u have other problems with system stability?  Maybe just that one file took a hit? 

Is this a  usb wireless keyboard?  Have u looked to see that the dongle is firmly seated in the usb port?  How about the batteries in the keyboard, when was the last time they were changed?  Lots of questions, eh?  :smileyhappy:  Let us know how it goes.

Tutor
mikenowo
Message 3 of 8 (4,547 Views)

I already tried installing that driver as I mentioned above but the version is actually older than the one that came with the computer. In any case I tried installing it anyway but partway through get the error I also mentioned above, here is a more detailed snapshot:

Error installing driver

So I can't get back to that version either. Also, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the PC but same issue. All the other keys work fine as you can see with my typing working. ONLY the special keys do nothing now.

Since I don't know when this happened having not used the keys in a while I wouldnt know which restore to go to and don't want to inadvertently remove something that I have applied in the interim. I have had no other issues with the system and the keyboard is a regular wired keyboard connection to the keyboard port on the PC so no batteries to speak of.

Very odd that these keys should just stop working as the rest of the keyboard is fine.

Grad Student
lmann
Message 4 of 8 (4,579 Views)

Hi mikenowo, sry I haven't got any more ideas on this one. 

In an effort to bump this back up toward the top of the list, here's a couple more questions for you:  Is ur Vista current with updates i.e. SP1 and/or SP2?  And have you, by chance, disabled the "kbd" services from start up?  (KBD.exe runs the special buttons on the keyboard.  Needs to have a check mark next to it, like this.) 

And an observation:  I googled ur error message and, from my brief survey, this oslangdec thing appears to be an hp specific issue with windows operating systems, both xp and vista, a compatability/emulation conflict of some type?  I even found one thread where someone posted a pic almost identical to the one u posted.   Here's the link to that forum thread.   And here's the pic *he* posted (almost two yrs ago).  You will see in that thread that he's not even talking about keyboards; he is having a problem with audio drivers.   This tells me that the problem is not specific to the keyboard driver - but to certain 3rd party driver installation in general?  Unfortuantely noone every followed up with any solution either in this thread or any others I found.  But I bring it up now in case someone else in these forums has any idears.

Good luck.

Tutor
mikenowo
Message 5 of 8 (4,522 Views)

lmann wrote:

... have you, by chance, disabled the "kbd" services from start up?  (KBD.exe runs the special buttons on the keyboard. 

Bingo! Genius!!

That was it! I had inadvertently unchecked it in the startup, rechecked it and now the special keys work fine...

And Tech support was suggesting I get it 'fixed' or get a new one .. BAH!!

Thanks alot Imann! I'll remember this one next time!

Honor Student
CINDYck09
Message 6 of 8 (3,681 Views)

You are a good and gracious person to share your knowledge with the struggling masses. It worked. Thank you.
Honor Student
CINDYck09
Message 7 of 8 (3,662 Views)

lmann:

The part about helping is still true. The part about it working, not so much. Thanks anyway.

Grad Student
lmann
Message 8 of 8 (3,639 Views)

Hi CINDYck09.  So the special buttons on ur wireless keyboard aren't working?  wat's going on?  Which hp computer do u have and r u using the keyboard that came with or another one?  MOdel # of the computer and keyboard?  Oh and what operating system are u using on the computer? 

I don't know if i have any more idears on this but can give it a try :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation