Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi there. I've spent quite some time searching for a remedy for this but no luck.

I replaced the rear exhaust fan (and the entire case) on my HP p6110uk PC and now get "System Fan Failure... press F2 etc" on system boot. Possibly one of the three fan pins on the mobo is not receiving the right RPM.

The fan is running OK. I tried 2 new case fans and they both work but give the same error upon boot-up. The original fan is detected OK and the error disappears when placed back attached to the same system fan port on the mobo. There are no fan options in the bios settings.

I have tried both resetting the CMOS jumper on the mobo and pulling the battery out to see if this will remedy the error, but again, no luck.

I was wondering about possibly updating the BIOS, but the official HP update will not work. This is I presume because I'm running the official windows 7 upgrade (originally from Vista). Win7 x64 is not listed for the intaller provided.

The Asus site also has a bios driver for that kind of board, but I'm not clear on the version required.

Details:

M2N68-LA rev 5.00 Mobo

(Pegatron) Bios revision 5.38

Possibly you can advise me, the error is quite annoying every time I boot up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Booji,

Thank you for affirming my suspicion.  As you changed the case, you might have other options. What case?

Thinking (1) re-attach old SYSFan  (2)  create a new exhaust (TOP).

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Booji,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you are getting the error "System Fan Failure" when you start up your HP Pavilion p6110uk Desktop PC. I am providing you with some steps for you to follow below:

Step 1. Boot into your BIOS

Step 2. Navigate to the Advanced Tab

Step 3. Navigate down to Hardware Monitor

Step 4. Disable ONLY System Fan Check

***WARNING!!! DO NOT DISABLE CPU FAN CHECK!!!

Step 5. Save and Exit the BIOS

***NOTE: I am only getting you to disable the System Fan Check this way because you cannot update your BIOS with the operating system you are running and you stated that "The fan is running OK".

Please re-post if you require additional support. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hi there. Many thanks for getting back. There is no 'Hardware Monitor' option in the bios.

Are there any hidden options that can be accessed?

Bios Info, if that's any help to you  -

Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility

Bios Revision 5.38

Core Version 6.0

HP Recommended

Hello again @Booji,

Thank you for the feedback on the steps I provided. The only thing I can think of at this point aside from a full factory recovery of the computer is to load the setup defaults in your BIOS. You can do this by following the steps I have set out below:

Step 1. Boot into your BIOS

Step 2. Navigate to the Exit Tab

Step 3. Navigate down toLoad Setup Defaults

If the steps above to not work we can try a backup and recovery of your system. To do this I would first like you to follow the steps set out in the HP Support document: Backing Up Your Files (Windows 7), which will ensure that your personal files are backed up before we recover the computer and loose everything.

***WARNING!! If you want to keep any emails or bookmarks/favorites you will want to back those up as well as I do not believe they are backed up in the HP Backup process.

The next step is to follow the steps set out in the HP Support document: Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7), which will now walk you through recovering your computer back to factory settings.

*** IMPORTANT - Your personal files such as libraries, personalization settings, user accounts, and desktop themes are permanently removed. As well the computer settings are returned to the defaults (the way it was when it came from the factory). All apps and software that were installed on the computer when it came from the factory are reinstalled, and their settings are reset to the defaults. Additionally, software, apps, programs, and everything that you have installed or saved on the computer are permanently removed.

If after all this you still have the error then I think it would be best if you contact HP Technical Support for repair options.

I would like to thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hi there. 'Load Setup Defaults' doesn't work. Can you explain what steps to take after I back-up the my important files? Cheers 🙂

Sorry. To add to my above comment. I guess I wasn't too clear. A full system recovery might be awkward as I'm using a windows upgrade already. I'll have a think about this. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

HP Recommended

What RPM fan did you install for a system fan?

As the original fan works, without error,  it's apparent the new fans are not the same minimum RPM.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Yes. I agree this is most likely the issue. The fan is a 120mm Cooler master. So I imagine the RPM is different. I want to change the defualt speed in the bios, but there is no option to. And the bios update on the HP site which I understand could fix this issue will not work with Windows 7 (Upgrade from Vista version, a disk that HP sent me for an additional fee).

Also if I remove the system fan completely I get the same error message, press F2 etc..

To explain myself here... I got a new graphics card and updated the PSU . The airflow in the HP case was not too healthy. So I updated the entire case. You can why now why there is now a fan issue! This isn't a terrible problem, but is a little annoying when starting up the PC.

HP Recommended

Booji,

Thank you for affirming my suspicion.  As you changed the case, you might have other options. What case?

Thinking (1) re-attach old SYSFan  (2)  create a new exhaust (TOP).

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply. You are an intuative chap. Are you Doctor Who? Seriously, this technically doesn't solve the issue, but as solving the problem may be more trouble and time than it's worth I may just do that. I guess the life-span of this motherboard will be another year or two for what I need it for.  Unless this error can be solved easily by one of you techie geniuses, I will just buy a top fan (slim only for this N200 case). And put the wee system fan back at the rear again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.