System Fan error (7779 Views)
Student
1972wsu
Message 1 of 5 (7,779 Views)

System Fan error

Upon start up of my HP Pavilion a6157c Desktop PC, I sometimes get this message: Error "System fan has failed-press F2 to avoid damage". 

The following are observations:

Air flow is always coming through the system fan grill (would seem to indicate fan is working).

I have removed the side case cover so I can see the actual fan. It seems that the fan starts very slowly and takes several seconds to get up to speed.

I have worked with HP Support and together we have: reseated all cables, reseated the CMOS battery, reset BIOS defaults and completed a "power supply drain" procedure -but the problem still persists.

Any additional ideas/help would be appreciated before I replace the fan itself.

Student
CyberAmazon54
Message 2 of 5 (7,708 Views)

Re: System Fan error

I am getting this message on my HP Pavilion m8517c:

ERROR: System Fan Has Failed.

Service PC to prevent damage to the system.

Press <F2> to continued

I followed the instructions on hp.com/support for checking the fan up until directed to 'press <F11> repeatedly at the first logo screen until a BIOS screen appears.' Rather than being directed to the BIOS, this opens a recovery. Following the instructions if this happens only loops me back around to the original ERROR: System Fan Has Failed routine [on a black screen].

Since I dismantled the CPU to view the fan and check all connections and was able to see the fans (there are two) turning effortlessly and quietly, I am assuming that my fan(s) is functioning properly. Unfortunately now something in my system's configuration is not allowing it to boot.

My inclination is to run the recovery to an earlier checkpoint in which the system was functioning in an attempt to just 'get back in', and see if I can then gain access to the BIOS for the purpose of a CPU Fan Check.

I should also note that late last week something was making a loud noise... a roaring hum of a sound... though I have not heard it this week.

Does getting this message necessarily mean that a new fan is needed? 

Does getting this message and being unable to access the BIOS on a clean boot corrupt the system's configuration to the point of complete dysfunctionality?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 5 (7,684 Views)

The error that is showing up is meant to warn the owner that the motherboard has detected a change in the sensing circuit that monitors the system fans.  If you took the side covers off and both fans are running, that is not the cause for the boot failure.  You may indeed need a new fan but there is now another problem if the computer will not boot up.

The F11 prompt can lead to the recovery screen on some HP computers.  When the boot process is first starting, the first screen will show what key to press for BIOS entry.  Look along the bottom of the first splash screen for the BIOS key.

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
5c00t3r
Message 4 of 5 (7,660 Views)

I too am getting the "System Fan ~ Press <f2>" message on my HP Media Center m7467c, After hitting <f2> the machine runs fine and apparently normal. I've opened it up and all 4 fans inside power up and seem to be running fine. I stupidly upgraded to Windows 7 before checking to see if my machine was compatable. I don't have the original Vista disks for it. I have an old XP disk but it won't let me install XP over 7. gives me some 000x error code. So I have no sound and limited keyboard functionality (drivers for 7 and my model don't exist at this time). I have been told that the temp sensor for the chip may be at fault, but have no idea if this is fact or fiction. Or even where it is or how to check it. I know this isn't a Software problem. It's a Hardware fault. But just where do I start to track it down and fix it.

As for the BIOS. WHERE ARE THEY IN OS-7?

<esc> gives me Boot Menu and <f1> is Setup. Recovery won't work because I did a Clean Install of 7, none of which lets me get into anything even faintly resembling the BIOS I'm used to seeing and tinkering with.

Honor Student
5c00t3r
Message 5 of 5 (7,625 Views)

I got my >>Fan Error<< problem SOLVED!!!!!

After reading the prior posts and having them sink into my Poor Oxygen Deprived Brain, I tossed the M7467C onto the kitchen counter and pulled it apart. I removed the CMOS battery and unpluged ALL of the connectors from the MOtherbaord, one at a time and reseated them. I removed ALL of the RAM and PCI cards, cleaning and reseating them as well. After which I powered up the machine...

And What To My Wondering Eyes Did Appear... (no not St. Nick and 8 tiny raindeer)

A NORMAL BOOT, sans <F2> Fan Error Warning.

I also, after much searching, found what looks to be BIOS setting in 7. Now if someone could point me in the direction of where I might find out IF or WHEN, HP may or will release updated drivers for the Media Center Series and Windows 7.

Thanx all, even though I got this solved by just reading and thinking.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation