Question

Honor Student
fernief
Message 1 of 4 (991 Views)

TSST TS-H653N issue

I'm running Vista Business 64 bit SP2 on an HP xw8600 workstation.  Up until a few days ago I could burn DVD's on my HP Lightscribe DVD/CD burner.  The burner reports itself as a TSST TS-H653N.  Now I can't burn disks and I've tried memorex DVD-R and HP lightscribe DVD+r blank media.  I looked at the properties of the drive and found that vista reports it as a DVD/CD-ROM drive with driver date of 6/21/2006, version 6.0.6002.18005.  I've tried updating the drivers to no avail, response is that the driver is current.  I've looked all over the web and have found other articles on flashing the firmware with the Samsung firmware with the "equivalent" S203N" firmware.  I'm a bit leary to do this as even the samsung autoupdater tool says it doesn't recognize this drive.

I think a MS patch or two was loaded recently and possibly an Adobe reader patch.  Other than that I don't remember loading any other software.

Has anybody seen this problem recently? 

Is there a way to flash the drive with the proper firmware( I have looked at the HP drivers site but only see really old information there)?

Any other recommendations?  I'd hate to rebuild the system and if I do I'll just throw Win 7 64 bit on and be done with it...Hopefully.

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 4 (959 Views)

Re: TSST TS-H653N issue

[ Edited ]

Hello fernief, Usually the CD\DVD drivers are furnished by Micrisoft and care quite old.

Here is the listing for my CD\DVD drives.

Microsoft

6/21/2006

Microsoft Windows

These are generic drives and normally work on all standard CD\DVD drives. I actually have a BlueRay drive that uses the same drivers. 

There are, from time to time, some releases of new firmware for certain CD\DVD drives. If I had one of these firmware updates, I would update the CD\DVD firmware. These usually correct certain issues with these drives.

I checked the specifications for your system and did not see a firmware update for your CD\DVD drive, however I did see a BIOS update released on December 8, 2010.

Here  is the link for the latest BIOS update for your system.

It is possible the CD\DVD drive has become faulty. At times, the lazer diode that actually does the burning process fails and the drive will not burn a CD or DVD. There are two lazers, one for CDs and one for DVDs. You might try burning a CD and see if you can successfully burn a CD. This would verify that the DVD lazer diode has failed.

These CD\DVD drives can be easily replaced and are quite inexpensive now. Some of these drives can be found for less than $21.00 USD in the US. Here  is a link to NewEgg where these drives can be found.

Here  is the link where information can be found on how to replace the CD\DVD drive.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Honor Student
fernief
Message 3 of 4 (932 Views)

Thank you for your quick response Hanspuppa.

I suspected the possibility of a faulty drive so I connected an HP DVD640 lightscribe drive which works fine on my work laptop running win 7 64 bit. 

No Joy...  The system refuses to identify these as writeable drives.  I will next test with a different software package, Roxio, once I get it installed.  The application I'm trying to burn with is Pinnacle Studio.

I still think this is related to something installing on the system and impacting my drivers or registry.  I have reviewed the registry in the hopes of using a solution I read about.  That involved the removal of two registry keys, Upper and Lower boundary specifications( don't remember the exact nomenclature).  Problem is, those keys were not in the registry so I can't remove them.  Bummer.

If Roxio doesn't work then I'll probably have to re-install the OS and move on to cut my losses and stop wasting time.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 4 of 4 (925 Views)

Hello fernief, The registry fix "removal of two registry keys, Upper and Lower boundary specifications" would not apply with your version of the operating system. It could be an issue in Windows XP, but I think Microsoft has corrected this in later versions. I have made those edits in some Windows XP systems when the CD\DVD drives were not recognized.

You may have already tried this, but you might go to the Control Panel, Device Manager, and locate the CD\DVD drive(s) and delete the drive(s), close out to the desktop and reboot and see if the operating system will locate the new hardware and reinstall the drivers. Sometimes this will work.

You might enter the BIOS and see if the BIOS recognizes the DVD drive(s).

It is rare that a properly working CD\DVD drive will not be recognized and work.

I have never used Pinnacle Studio so I can't say whether this software would be the cause. I have used Roxio, Nero, UltraISO and some others and never had issues with any of them. I prefer Roxio, since I write quite a few DVD-RW disk for test purposes and can erase them with Roxio in about 30 seconds, where the other Software takes several minutes.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation