TV tuner card not working on Media Center pc m1050y (1336 Views)
bv4 Top Student
Top Student
bv4
Message 1 of 9 (1,336 Views)
Accepted Solution

TV tuner card not working on Media Center pc m1050y

I have a Haupauge TV tuner on a Media Center m1050y desktop computer.  I hasn't worked for quite a while.  The TV tuner (analog) doesn't work, which is understandable) but also I can receive no input from the front panel connections for audio and video.  I read something about an incompatibility with Windows XP Service pack 2.  (I'm now at SP 3)

Is there any way I can resurrect this device and make it work?  If not, do I need a new video card? a new TV tuner card?

Thanks.

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 9 (1,331 Views)

Re: TV tuner card not working on Media Center pc m1050y

The front video ports are linked to the TV Tuner. However, your analog tuner should still work... just because America and others have switched to digital does not mean that your tuner stops working. You should still be able to use the video editing software that came with your PC to capture home videos from a VCR or analog camcorder. IT's a matter of having software that properly recognises the tuner and prots and allows you to select those inputs.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00186689&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=u...

This document only shows a digital connection, but see if it works for analog.

If you want to install another tuner and get digital broadcast, make sure it will work first. Read this:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01589549

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
bv4 Top Student
Top Student
bv4
Message 3 of 9 (1,328 Views)

Thanks, RasterBlaster.

Actually, I could care less whether I can get a TV signal or not.  What I want is to be able to get input through the front panel inputs, which are connected to the Haupauge tuner card.  I've seen the link that you mentioned about configuring the software so it recognized the ports, but my problem is that anytime I access the video software or the Media Center control panel, I get a message that says "Tuner not found" (or something similar).

My main goal is to feed video input through the front panel and record it on my hard drive, but since the front panel inputs go through the TV tuner card and the computer won't regonize it, it seems like this is where the problem lies.

Does that clarify the problem?  Thanks.

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 4 of 9 (1,324 Views)

OK. Yes, that does help.

You should be able to reinstall the TV tuner driver through the HP Application Recovery software to reconnect everything back up.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07142

Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
bv4 Top Student
Top Student
bv4
Message 5 of 9 (1,314 Views)

I'll try that and report back.  I did reinstall drivers downloaded from the Haupauge site, (with no success), but not from the HP Recovery software.

Are you aware of issues with the Haupauge card and Service Pack 2?

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 6 of 9 (1,306 Views)

no.

bv4 Top Student
Top Student
bv4
Message 7 of 9 (1,296 Views)

Well, heck.  I've reinstalled the drivers and the TV tuner cards appears to be working.  It doesn't get any channels, but the screen on several of the programed channels is snowy and the sound is white noise.

However, the front panel inputs still do not work.  I've sent an analog signal from a camcorder into both the front and back video composite inputs, configured those ports in WinDVD Creator and still do not see a thing on the screen.

I suppose my TV tuner card is bad?  Any suggestions on replacements?  Is it an actual TV tuner card that I need or another graphics or video card?

Thanks, again.

bv4 Top Student
Top Student
bv4
Message 8 of 9 (1,288 Views)

Weel, I spoke too soon.  I realized I needed to restart after installing the new driver.  Analog video capture from the front panel now work!

Kudos to you, Raster Blaster!

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 9 of 9 (1,260 Views)

Glad to hear it. If this happens again, you can use this same process to recover it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation