Question

Intern
GoGuard
Message 1 of 12 (319 Views)
Accepted Solution

Time 40 mins behind and 2 days boot menu comes up

I have an HP Pavilion All-In-One PC, Model M 227 - Windows 7, 4 GB Ram

I noticed the other day that the time is about 40 minutes behind and twice, once yesterday and once today, when I woke it up, it brought up the boot menu for me to choose.

Suggestions would be appreciated, especially before the computer goes down. Thank you!

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 12 (316 Views)

Re: Time 40 mins behind and 2 days boot menu comes up

[ Edited ]

When the time does not stay as set it is an indication that the desktop's RTC battery has gone flat and requires replacement.

All PCs  have RTC batteries. The same battery supplies power to the BIOS eeprom so all the BIOS settings remain as you have them set, including the real time clock date \time.

Have the battery replaced and the issue should go away.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Intern
GoGuard
Message 3 of 12 (286 Views)

Thank you for the information! Makes me feel much better but had an idea it was the CMOSS battery. I do have an external HD that I believe has lost all it's data. You open directories and nothing there. :-(

I did some searching around but came up empty handed but it has been a busy couple days but I could not find anything specific on my machine. I found a another thread that gave a battery number but had no clue if it was the same kind I would use.

And if it was a regular CPU, I could change it out but i've never been inside one of these All-in-One Computers, will I just open the back and see it? 

Any further guidance would be appreciated!! I've had computers since 1992 and guess I have been lucky...never lost a power supply or this particular one. Thanks again!

Lori

Intern
Anius
Message 4 of 12 (282 Views)

Is your computer always plugged in ? or do you unplug it from the wall when not using it?  

Computer used to have trickle charge circuitary built in which you could use to recharge the CMOS battery by starting up the computer and leaving it at the BIOS screen for a couple of days( using another setting by which it doesnt  turn off ).  Not sure if thius is a method still followed .

Intern
GoGuard
Message 5 of 12 (275 Views)

My computer is never unplugged. Never even turned off unless I'm leaving for 3 days or more. But I might try that or do some Google searching on that to see if it still applies.

Right now I have 1 browser (Chrome) open with 29 tabs open and last week before Windows restarted it, I had 2 (Chrome) brower windows open with about the same number of tabs open. I've always kept a bunch of tabs open but never really this many, so maybe that is the reason the battery is dying for the first time ever. I just discovered CRAFTING, PINTEREST and BLOGS on the same. 

Question: would this battery issue affect my mouse. It's been a little sick, well A LOT sick, so bad, I've gotten off the computer until I could get another some of the times, but I thought I might wait until I can replace the battery and see if the mouse goes back to normal. 

Thank you for your reply. These "All-in-One" machines are cool because so little footprint but not a lot out there on the web about them. :smileysad:

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 12 (253 Views)

What is the product number on the service tag on your All-In-One PC?

You can also get the product tag by opening the HP Support Assistant. Look in the bottom of the window that opens.  I do not need the serial number so please do not post that.  

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Intern
GoGuard
Message 7 of 12 (243 Views)

[ Edited ]

BK232AA#ABA    (MS227)

I reset my clock about 2 days ago and it is still to the minute with my cell so seems it must be a slow, very gradual decline, but I still want to change the battery. This was probably the reason I was late going to several appointments over the last month. Sounds good anyway, but I'm usually sitting here until I get ready to go somewhere, especially in the AM.

Any help on whether it is affecting my mouse, before I go out and buy a new set today (hopefully), what battery I need to purchase for it, and any tips on replacing it, would be appreciated!

erico, I just reinstalled the HP Support Assistant the other day to see if I could do the battery check, but I never found how to do it, but the time wasn't 40 minutes behind because I set it that way so seems obvious it is. All the stickers are on the back and I looked the other day with a mirror but didn't see anything that stood out like Dell's service tag #'s, so I can do some searching too now that you told me where to find it easily. But will be gone for most of the day and was going to try to pick up a new wireless mouse/keyboard set at Ft. Campbell today at the PX. Not that big of a deal because the keyboard had already stopped working but this mouse issue is driving me crazy. Thank you for your attention and posts.

Intern
Anius
Message 8 of 12 (239 Views)

During the time the computer is turned on the Clock is synced via the internet so you wouldnt see a time difference.  

The system clock wouldnt affect the keyboard or the mouse, as the battery is only used to retain tiume while the computer is turned off.  If its a wireless keyboard and Mouse perhaps you may want to replace the battery in that for starters to see if it makes a difference.  Or plug in a wired set ( keyboard and mouse) to terst if its actually the keyboard mouse combo or the actual computer that is causing the issue.

To me more serios is the issue of missing files on the external hdd. Have you tried to see if there is an option to restore previos versions of the folders? If the drive has become entirely blank than it muist have suffered a physical shock causing a malfunction.

Provost
erico
Message 9 of 12 (235 Views)

It is a standard CR2032 computer battery that can be bought most anywhere that sells batteries, including drug stores.

mobo battery1.png

mobo battery2.png

Intern
GoGuard
Message 10 of 12 (225 Views)

Anius wrote:

During the time the computer is turned on the Clock is synced via the internet so you wouldnt see a time difference.  

The system clock wouldnt affect the keyboard or the mouse, as the battery is only used to retain tiume while the computer is turned off.  If its a wireless keyboard and Mouse perhaps you may want to replace the battery in that for starters to see if it makes a difference.  Or plug in a wired set ( keyboard and mouse) to terst if its actually the keyboard mouse combo or the actual computer that is causing the issue.

To me more serios is the issue of missing files on the external hdd. Have you tried to see if there is an option to restore previos versions of the folders? If the drive has become entirely blank than it muist have suffered a physical shock causing a malfunction.

Thank you for the extra info about the clock and mouse and all. I had changed batteries because I've learned it mis-behaves when they are going down, but I just bought a new one today. That one had served me well, and if one of my pet peeves is an extra, unnecessary one click to do something online, you can imagine how frustrating a mouse that you couldn't move would be.

The external HD has been flaky for quite a while. It's it or miss if it will register so I can see it or now and right now it's got a blinking green light, as it had last week. but I have turned it on in between and it wasn't blinking and it would pop up. I have to unplug it to turn it off or on, so I knew that wasn't good, and no, I saw the restore option and I didn't see any restore points.

I have another one, about as old and have had a TB drive for 2 years that I haven't put anything on, so guess I need to try to set a restore point on the other WD. Could someone with more experience, such as a shop perhaps get the data for me off that drive?

Appreciate your post!! Thank you! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation