Question

Honor Student
rmmd76
Message 1 of 5 (6,083 Views)

Tower has power (light is on) but doesn't turn on

To start, I went out of town for 5 days and forgot to shut my desktop down (Compaq SR2011WM), so it was in sleep mode that entire time. I normally always leave my desktop on and haven't had any issues. However, when I got back in town and attempted to use my computer, the power was on but it wouldn't even attempt to "wake up". I unplugged the tower, plugged it back in (made sure the green light was lit and that it was getting power, and it was), and now when I press in the power button, even though it lights up, nothing happens. No startup "rev up" noise, no fan noise, nothing. I even left it unplugged for 2 days and tried again, same result. Does anyone have any suggestions or have any ideas on what exactly could be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.
Master's Graduate
bwolper
Message 2 of 5 (6,075 Views)

Re: Tower has power (light is on) but doesn't turn on

This is just a guess.  Try this.  Unplug the computer and leave it unplugged for about 60 seconds.  Plug it back in.  Push the power switch.  If the power switch lights up and the computer does the same thing it has been doing, press the power button and keep it pressed until the computer appears to shut off.  Once it shuts off, push the power button once more to turn it back on and see if this makes a difference.

Let us know what happens either way.

Good luck.

In this forum, clicking on Kudos is a great way to say thanks.  :smileywink:

In this forum, clicking on Kudos is a great way of saying thanks.  :smileywink:

Honor Student
rmmd76
Message 3 of 5 (6,070 Views)

Yeah I actually already tried that and unfortunately it doesn't respond when I hold the button in either. The odd thing is when I unplug the power cord, the green light around the power button stays lit for about 10 seconds, and I know it didn't used to do that.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 5 (6,063 Views)

Disconnect all devices except for mouse, keyboard, and monitor.  Reseat RAM and all connectors inside the PC.  Disconnect the hard drive.  Clear CMOS.  Hit power switch and go to BIOS.  If you cannot access BIOS, then the power supply or MB may be defective.  The board is a cheap entry-level ECS.
Provost
old_geekster
Message 5 of 5 (6,056 Views)

MMD, this sounds like a power supply unit (PSU) problem.  There is enough power for the led's to light up, but not enough to boot the computer.  I recently had a similar situation with my computer (not a HP).  I replaced the PSU and it is working great.

Here is a link about testing your PSU:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/f/powersupplytest.htm

At the bottom of the page in the link, there is also a video on replacing the PSU.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!