Question

Tutor
ron987
Message 1 of 4 (6,780 Views)

Try this quick solution for CPU cooling fan excessive noise and speed

[ Edited ]

Last year I bought a HP Pavilion Elite and 3 weeks later I started it and it sounded like a jet taking off with the CPU fan running full speed. It wasn't hot, I just turned it on. Call HP and was told to clean the computer (it was 3 weeks old!) then finally I was told to send it to factory. I wasn't going to do that I just spent a week loading all my business files and software on it. I read other posts of people being told to reinstall windows, check for new bios version etc. Others have replaced the CPU fan or motherboard.

Any way I decided to call HP back got someone who knew what he was talking about. He told me to turn computer off, take side panel off, then unplug connector that goes from the cpu fan to the motherboard and plug it back in. That sounded almost to simple but what the heck.l I tried it and it worked. It took 5 minutes. I could have spent hours reinstalling software and it wouldn't have worked or weeks if I would have sent it to factory.

I sure hope HP has finally advised it's techs about this simple fix. It could save people a lot of grief.

Today I've had the computer 10 months and it happened a 2nd time.  I unplugged the CPU fan connector and plugged it right back in. Powered up the computer again and all normal again. Peace and quiet.

I hope this quick fix works for others.

Ron

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 4 (6,768 Views)

Re: Try this quick solution for CPU cooling fan excessive noise and speed

Thanks for the info!

Student
Collingwood202
Message 3 of 4 (3,639 Views)

No way that just worked.  I have tried everything.  I simply unplugged the machine, unplugged the fan, and then plugged everything back in immediatly and zap, quiet as church. 

Student
Peterbone
Message 4 of 4 (2,053 Views)

please and please im still having problem with the fans in my hp dc7100. i unplug the fans and re-plugged them but still. please and please help me out because its maing me to feel uncomfortable when im using it. thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation