Question

Honor Student
CaptKirk
Message 1 of 4 (304 Views)
Accepted Solution

Trying to install USB 3.0 PCI x1 card in an HP Pavilion Elite e9290f

TryiIng to install USB 3.0 PCI x1 card in an HP Pavilion Elite e9290f.   There is supposed to be one PCI x1 slot and one PCI x4 slot available for expansion.  I do not see either of these.  However, there is one very long slot just above the video card (x32?).  It looks like that slot would accomodate the card, but I do not see any power cables available with a male plug.  There appears to be 2 female power plugs (red/blk/blk/yel).  May need to find an male/male adapter if these are power plugs and the large slot is one I can use.  I'm setting up to use an external 3TB drive and need to transfer about 2TB of data.  Speed will really help.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (288 Views)

Re: Trying to install USB 3.0 PCI x1 card in an HP Pavilion Elite e9290f

[ Edited ]

Hi,

There should be a number of PCI-E slots on the motherboard.  Any open slot should work.

Review the information posted in this thread.  If you look at the image that I posted then you will see two different types of connectors that you a tap into using a Y splitter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Honor Student
CaptKirk
Message 3 of 4 (284 Views)

Yes, it was as I thought, but it was not as my HP data sheet had shown it to be.  I ended up calling the card manufacturer to be sure I was doing it right.  The slot looked larger than an x16 slot, so I wanted to be sure.  It's been much too long since worked on PC's.  This was a good exercise for me.  Thanks for your input.  It's up and running, and the 3.0 is amazingly fast.

Honor Student
CaptKirk
Message 4 of 4 (255 Views)

I actually had a picture of the motherboard showing all of the pci slots.  The problem was that the video card actually covered 3 slots, maybe not using all of them, but covered so that they could not be used.  The only open slot looked like an x16 slot, but looked even longer than an x16, particularly since I haven't worked on computers in years.  It was an x16 slot and I used it.  The cabling problem was my fault because the card manufacturer sent the cable and I had not read all of the instructions.  They were for 2 different cards, and when I read about the card I did not have, it said the cable was only for that one.  Read everything first, even if you don't think it applies to your situation.  This time I did not follow my own rule.  The power cable was long enough once I cut the strap holding all of the excess cable lengths together.  Everything working fine now.  Just an aside for anyone else doing what I'm doing by using an internal hard drive in an external case.  HDD manufacturers don't warrant the hard drive if it is used in an external case.  I did this because my IT Tech guy suggested I do it.  If you want the warranty, better buy an actual external drive.  Thanks for the input.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation