Question
Turning on Cores
Replies (17)

Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 11 of 18 (1,373 Views)

Re: Turning on Cores

You can overclock a processor by changing things such as Multiplier, FSB,voltage, etc in the BIOS but that's not possible with brand name computers because the BIOSes are locked; you don't have those options available for regular brand name desktops unless the BIOS is unlocked or flashed or hacked.

Besides that you have quad core running at least 2.3 per core or more and that's a lot of processing power. More than enough to run your stuff for years to come.

You could overclock if you buy your own compatible motherboard and there's a limit on how far you can overclock because of instability or heat problems that could occur.

I'm sure there's websites out there you can find on yahoo that would give you a better answer.

Top Student
ahernia911
Message 12 of 18 (1,360 Views)

well i know all that but the reason i ask is because i have a ati radeon hd 3450 with 512 mbs gddr2 and it can keep up with crysis on medium graphics but my processor can't. it runs at 1.8 ghz i think its the base a6700f
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 13 of 18 (1,350 Views)

1.8GHz will present a bottleneck with some high-end games.  That said, you need to upgrade to a better GPU.  9600 GSO or 4830 would be a minimum starting point.  You can overclock these GPU by at least 15% core speed.  To run Crysis well, you will need to increase the CPU core speed to about 3.0GHz (45nm Intel/AMD quads).
Top Student
ahernia911
Message 14 of 18 (1,333 Views)

so to do that should i buy a better cpu or what? i am stuck with amd cpus because of the motherboard. i really have no interest in upgrading that because when i go to college i am going to buy either a mac pro or an ibm blade server
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 15 of 18 (1,321 Views)

Get a better GPU.
Top Student
ahernia911
Message 16 of 18 (1,310 Views)

nvidia or ati?
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 17 of 18 (1,300 Views)

Depending on your budget for around $200 I would go with either an Nvidia 250, 260 or 280 card or an ATI 4870, 4870x2, or 4890 card. These are the newest high end video cards. Off course there's cheaper cards that perform really well or close to these cards such as Nvidia 9800GT or 9800GTX+.

I prefer NVIDIA cards and drivers over ATI yself.

To answer the overclocking question. Most or all HP or brand name pc motherboard BIOSES are locked and you can't overclock things as you want. So in that case you need to get your own compstible motherbord which in return HP won't support and there's things of that nature to worry about.

I would say build your own computer if u wanna get into things such as overclocking your CPU.

Overclocking your video card is easier and you can use programs like EVGA Precision Utlity, ATI Tool or RivaTuner and adjust the clock speeds of any agp or pci-e video card out there that are supported.

This doesn't require switching motherboards or cpus.

Top Student
ahernia911
Message 18 of 18 (1,293 Views)

well thankyou everyone who helped me out. i just went out and bought a 700 watt power supply and two nvidia 9800gtx's and set up basically the equivalent to two cross fire ati graphics cards. i gave the ati card i had before to my little brother who has a compaq presario sr5710f and i also gave him the 300 watt power supply that came with the a6700f i was talking about. the funny thing. his computer is now responding faster than mine.

any ideas why that could be. i know it is not the graphics card. he can play crysis on medium with now shaders at 45 fps and i can run it at full graphics full dx10 1920x1080 resolution at almost 60 fps. hope it doesn't sound like jibberish

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation