Turning on Cores (3074 Views)
Student
Brycges
Message 1 of 18 (3,074 Views)

Turning on Cores

Hello, I have a HP Pavilion a6700f desktop PC it comes with quad cores. I bought it at OfficeDepot and the guy told me that the Cores are not on by default. so how do I turn them on, I looked in the bios and couldn't find anything.

help?

Top Student
pcnerd
Message 2 of 18 (3,000 Views)

Re: Turning on Cores

Your kidding right??
Professor
1badGuard
Message 3 of 18 (2,993 Views)

[ Edited ]

Uh ? Hmmm   That's funny. Someone else had asked that same question before. Take it back to Office Depot and ask the idiot to turn them on/off for you. LOL

They're already on.

It uses them depending on stress and need. For example, if you're computer is idle and no programs open, it'll use maybe 1 or 2 cores. If you have several games/photo (or video) editing programs open, it'll maximize to 4 cores.

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 02-06-2009 01:44 AM
Provost
erico
Message 4 of 18 (2,987 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is an interesting thread.  :smileyvery-happy:

Right-click on Computer icon --> select Properties -->select Device Manager --> select Processor device and click on the + --> count the number of processors. If you see four, they are on and active. :smileywink:

Message Edited by erico on 02-06-2009 04:36 AM
Message Edited by erico on 02-06-2009 04:36 AM

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 5 of 18 (2,965 Views)

If the BIOS is up-to-date, then make sure that you also have the AMD processor driver.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_15259,00.html

PhD Student
Rixander
Message 6 of 18 (2,954 Views)

ok that particular office depot salesman did not know what he is talking about

all the cores are being used and why would the manufacture set the cores by

default not using all the cores

it would not benefit any one HP and why you think the manufacture made the

quad cores __ well there is a reason all the cores active some may become

more or less depeding what you are doing and the only way the cores

not all active would be the sleep mode or power management to conserve

when not in use

other than that all cores will work while you are using the computer

Please provide Kudos to whom has provided answers or
good points or advice..
Aslo if the questions or issues solved please check it
"Accepted"
Thanks and you are welcome _____ Rick
Grad Student
lmann
Message 7 of 18 (2,942 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hihi.  Not trying to hijack this thread BUT regarding RoyalSerpent's reply and link above, I don't see a driver there for vista based systems.  I see Linux, XP, and Server 2003 - but not Vista (as came with Brycges's a6700f). The reason I am bringing this up is because I was looking at the amd drivers page for the processor in my tx1217cl which has the amd TL-60 (AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology) and it's the same thing.  http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_14098,00.html I don't see a driver for Vista.  What am I missing?

btw, I don't 'need' to update my processor driver, that I am aware of.  Jes curious..  and probly going to get in trouble :smileywink:

Thanks

Message Edited by lmann on 02-07-2009 03:48 AM
Top Student
ahernia911
Message 8 of 18 (2,282 Views)

hey i bought my a6700f at officemax too and believe that guy just was blowing hot air out his mouth. like many of the other members replied they are turned on as needed. plus was this guy just using sarcasm sir. he might have been just pulling your chain
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 9 of 18 (2,274 Views)

That guy must only know sales and not much about the world of technology.

If you check Device Manager there's a category known as Processor(s) and you click on the plus sign to expand that ctaegory and shows four entries with the same name. There are your cores.

That means your Operating System recognizes all four cores and they can be used meaning it's great for running multiple programs/apps at the same time and gives you a boost in performance when running multi threaded optimized applications/games.

You don't need to worry enabling anything on the cpu. Leave it as is. It's enabled. All 4 cores are enabled.

Top Student
ahernia911
Message 10 of 18 (2,266 Views)

well since we are on the topic of 4 cores anyway. i did not start this thread but i know in previous years i was faced with the same question myself. before i was "learned" , but anyway my question for anyone reading this thread still is it possible to over clock this cpu?

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation