Question

Honor Student
rziulek
Message 1 of 11 (2,631 Views)
Accepted Solution

USB 3.0 card

I have a Slimline S5310F with Win7-64bit.  I'm looking for a USB 3.0 expansion card for this system.  I can't find one on HP's website.

Does anyone know if such a card exists ?   Will this system even support a USB 3.0 expansion card ?

Thanks.

Rick

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 11 (2,602 Views)

Re: USB 3.0 card

Hi,

Based on its specs, it has:

Expansion Slots:

•  
     1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
  • 2 PCI Express x1 slots
  • 1 PCI slot

Yes, you can buy PCIe-USB3 like this one

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4143

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Provost
erico
Message 3 of 11 (2,597 Views)

This half height USB 3.0 card will fit in your slimline PC.

regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
rziulek
Message 4 of 11 (2,587 Views)

Thanks for the feedback.  However, HP does not include the s5310f as one of the machines that is compatible with this card.  It shows the following as compatible machines -

Business Desktop PCs

HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower PC HP Compaq 6000 Pro Small Form Factor PC HP Compaq 6005 Pro Microtower PC HP Compaq 6005 Pro Small Form Factor PC HP Compaq 6005 Pro Ultra-slim Desktop PC HP Compaq 8000 Elite Convertible Minitower PC HP Compaq 8000 Elite Small Form Factor PC HP Compaq 8100 Elite Convertible Minitower PC HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form Factor PC

Point of Sale SolutionsHP rp5800 Retail System

WorkstationsHP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation HP Z200 Workstation HP Z210 Convertible Minitower Workstation HP Z210 Small Form Factor Workstation HP Z400 Workstation HP Z600 Workstation

HP Z800 Workstation

This makes me wonder if there is something with the s5310f that won't support this card ?

Honor Student
rziulek
Message 5 of 11 (2,586 Views)

Thanks for the feedback.  I have found several pci-e cards available, but they don't indicate which machines are compatible with this card.  Do you know if any machine with the proper expansion slot will be able to utilize this card ?   Or are there other hardware requirements also ?  Thanks.

Provost
banhien
Message 6 of 11 (2,579 Views)

rziulek wrote:

...Do you know if any machine with the proper expansion slot will be able to utilize this card ?   Or are there other hardware requirements also ?  Thanks.

Hi,

As mentioned above, because your machine is slim therefore you need half height card. The higher ones are for "bigger" machines.Please refer to this link for more info.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Provost
erico
Message 7 of 11 (2,576 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

rziulek wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  However, HP does not include the s5310f as one of the machines that is compatible with this card.  It shows the following as compatible machines -

Business Desktop PCs

HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower PC HP Compaq 6000 Pro Small Form Factor PC HP Compaq 6005 Pro Microtower PC HP Compaq 6005 Pro Small Form Factor PC HP Compaq 6005 Pro Ultra-slim Desktop PC HP Compaq 8000 Elite Convertible Minitower PC HP Compaq 8000 Elite Small Form Factor PC HP Compaq 8100 Elite Convertible Minitower PC HP Compaq 8100 Elite Small Form Factor PC

Point of Sale SolutionsHP rp5800 Retail System

WorkstationsHP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation HP Z200 Workstation HP Z210 Convertible Minitower Workstation HP Z210 Small Form Factor Workstation HP Z400 Workstation HP Z600 Workstation

HP Z800 Workstation

This makes me wonder if there is something with the s5310f that won't support this card ?

Here is how it works. You purchase a USB 3.0 PCI Express x1 ( it must be half height/low profile type so it will fit in the case) adapter card that comes with driver software. Install it in an open PCI Express x1 slot. Install the software(driver) and then use it. Once the adapter card is installed you will be able to use USB 3.0 thumbdrives at their full speed.

Otherwise buy a USB 3.0 PCI Express x1 adapter card and pay someone else to install it for you

That is all there is to it. It is really not as difficult as you seem to think it is.  :smileyhappy:

Kind regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
foyle3
Message 8 of 11 (2,240 Views)

My slimline 3230.uk  only has a PCI slot (not PCI express)  card I have sourced (and a lot of PCIexpresscards) require power supply via 4 pin socket .  Anyone know an easy way of hooking into power ? Cheers

Honor Student
rziulek
Message 9 of 11 (2,237 Views)

Most of these cards have power hookups.  I found that you only need to provide power to them if the USB 3.0 accessory you are connecting to it doesn't have it's own power supply.  I'm using my card for a Seagate 3.0 external drive with it's own power supply.  So I did not power the 3.0 card.  It works great. 

Search the web.  There are USB 3.0 card for PCI slots also.

Honor Student
screnn
Message 10 of 11 (1,021 Views)

USB 3.0 PCI-e card for HP Z210 Convertible Mini-tower workstation

I have an HP Z210 CMT workstation running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit as an OS.  I am trying to find the correct PCI-e USB 3.0 expansion card to install in this system so that I can upgrade to USB 3.0.  I cannot find the answer on HP's website.

Does anyone know what would be the approprite PCI-e USB 3.0 card to use in order to upgrade to USB 3.0 for a Z210 CMT workstation?   

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Steve Renn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation