Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I ordered my usb 3.0 pci express card from HP recently to upgrade my HPE 460Z build to order machine.  It was an option that I didn't take at the time of ordering. 

When they sent it to me, it did not come with a driver cd.  I've been in multiple tech support chats and phone calls trying to find someone at HP who can get me the drivers I need to use my new usb 3.0 card.  Can someone here help me?

I am running WIndows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Jerry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FIXED!

I found this document: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02534104/c02534104.pdf

I feel stupid now.  Page 5 and 6 were the key.  I had thought the cable that came in the package was just in case you wanted to tie in other internal usb devices so they would be 3.0.  Not so!  The cable provides power to the card via a SATA connection.  Once I did that, it works perfectly!  Probably would work with just about any driver I had downloaded.  Currently using the one in SP51756 just because that is the one tech support had initially recommended. 

P.S.  The actual speed is not proving to be 10x faster, at least with that driver, but it is twice as fast in my initial test, which is a big improvement.  It could be that it will be faster with a newer driver, some tweaking, or a different set of data to copy. 

Have a great day! 

jt

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi Jerry,

Did you install the card?  Can you provide us the hardware IDs?  Find the device in Device Manager, double click on it, select the Details tab and then under Property select Hardware IDs.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I see that this card is sold in the Small and Medium Business Store. It is also sold at retailers outside of HP. I have done a search and have not been able to find the driver for it by its name "HP USB 3.0 SuperSpeed pcie x1 card (BM867AA)".

I wonder who makes the card for HP. Does device manager possibly show the OEM? Sometime Speccy will show OEM info.http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard  (freeware). And then it's possible that the Original Equipment Manufacturer's has a driver available for download that will work.  It a shame that you can't download the driver easily, if at all, from this site. 

I jumped into the thread as I have a HPE-460z also and will be curious how well the card works out.

Good luck.

Larry

HP Recommended

Card is installed, but Win 7 could not find the drivers automatically online.  The hardware id's are: 

PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0194&SUBSYS_80051B5B&REV_03
PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0194&SUBSYS_80051B5B
PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0194&CC_0C0330
PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0194&CC_0C03

HP Recommended

The device appears to be made by I/O Interconnect.  I tried calling their number and got a sales guy on the east coast.  Later in the day will try their head office in California, but I couldn't find drivers on their website. 

The HP packing slip says it's part 613253-001 but I think that is a hybrid part number that includes the extension cable.  I think the actual part number is 608151-001. 

Here's the rest of the information off of the card's various labels and imprints:

N14939

CH1314PCB-2 Reve 2.3

USB 3.0 Host Add in Card

PCIe2x1 10W + EXT 10W

I/O Interconnect Ltd.

HP

Assy PN 607782-001

SPN 608151-001

IOI PN: RHA314-5

CT: PB6QD0CAB0C3C1

HP Recommended

Specci did not help identify the card, but it's a pretty cool utility!

HP Recommended

1033  is the vendor and 0194 is the device ID in the hardware ID from device manager. I went to pcidatabase.com and found that vendor id 1033 is NEC and device 0194 is  Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller. Renesas and NEC are happily married. http://pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=0194&device_search=Search Could this be the chipset on the I/O Connect card?  I think so.

So with a little googling I found this -->http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob-84456-1 HP says it's for notebooks. Is it worth trying? Could you get blue screens at boot time with this. Take an image copy first.

Larry

FYI how to find unknown device drivers by vendor id and device id : http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-find-unknown-device-drivers-by-their-vendor-device-id/

HP Recommended

Following Larry's lead, I have now tried the following driver packages from HP:  sp51756, sp48923, sp51644, sp50564, sp51820, representing various versions of renesas drivers from 1.0.something up through 2.0.20.0. 

I also tried a Renesas USB 3.0 driver version 2.0.32.0 that I found here.

With some of the earlier driver versions, immediately after installing I get a power surge on usb port warning, and the port is disabled.  The newer version drivers do not give that result. 

Once installed, in device manager the usb 3.0 host controller and root hub show up with no flags, as well as two ports showing running at "high speed."  However, when I plug a device into either of the ports, nothing happens.  I tried pulling the card out and putting it in a different slot on the motherboard. 

No difference.  I'm just getting nowhere it seems, even with drivers that were created as recently as within the last month. 

Any more advice?  Anyone with an HP Elite AMD based desktop and a working usb 3.0 driver?

HP Recommended

FIXED!

I found this document: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02534104/c02534104.pdf

I feel stupid now.  Page 5 and 6 were the key.  I had thought the cable that came in the package was just in case you wanted to tie in other internal usb devices so they would be 3.0.  Not so!  The cable provides power to the card via a SATA connection.  Once I did that, it works perfectly!  Probably would work with just about any driver I had downloaded.  Currently using the one in SP51756 just because that is the one tech support had initially recommended. 

P.S.  The actual speed is not proving to be 10x faster, at least with that driver, but it is twice as fast in my initial test, which is a big improvement.  It could be that it will be faster with a newer driver, some tweaking, or a different set of data to copy. 

Have a great day! 

jt

HP Recommended

Jerry,

Good to hear you got it working. Keep on  tweaking and let us know what speeds you come up with.

Larry

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.