Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Recently I upgraded my old GTX 550ti with a new Radeon HD 7850 from powercolor.  After I install the new card, there is no display, and there is no post, so I don't think it's even booting.

The old GTX worked fine, so the pci slot is ok.  The GTX 550ti uses a 6 pin connector to the power supply, so I think the psu is fine too.   I uninstalled all nvidia drivers, and tried to install the new card.  No boot.  The onboard vga works, so the cable is fine. 

The powercolor website indicates, "mainboard could not detect UEFI bios of display card correctly during booting" and recommends a bios update. Referenced from this link (http://www.powercolor.com/us/support_faq.asp)

Here are my specs.

Product Name p7-1240

Serial [edited]

Product Number H2L70AA#ABA

OS         Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

Processor        AMD A10-5700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

System Memory       10GB

Memory slot 1   4GB DIMM Hynix Semiconduc 1600MHz

Memory slot 2    2GB DIMM Hynix Semiconduc 1600MHz

Memory slot 3     4GB DIMM Hynix Semiconduc 1600MHz

System board     2AE0 1.0

System bios      7.07

PSU      Rosewill 650W

Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE! I am very (very) pleased to report this issue has been resolved.  After building up my courage (and saying a quick prayer) I decided to use the Bios Update that is only for windows 8 on my board.  And success!

After the Bios update, which only took like 2 minutes to complete, my PC is running the powercolor card!  In the end a bios update was indeed necessary, and I accomplished it successfully.

Caveat! If you have the same problem, I still recommend that a bios update is a last resort.  I may have just gotten lucky, do what I did at your own caution.

Now in closing I have a few questions.   Why was this update so hard to find?  I personally used a bios update on my p7-1240 desktop PC with the MSI Jasmine Ms 7778.  If it worked, why is it not on my PC's update page?  Why does the documentation say clearly the OS must be windows 8, when in fact that is false.   I am running windows 7, and the update worked. 

Does my new bios update support the Richland AMD processors?  Before I bought the graphics card, I bought a new Athlon II X4 760K Black Edition, but had to return it. Even though the chipset supports all FM2 sockets, the bios would not.

I just can't believe I am the first, and possibly only person to try this solution. 

Thanks for all the advice.  This problem is solved.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39
HP Recommended

Hello SmnMagus0,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that after installing a newer graphics card in your computer there is no display. I would recommend that you follow these steps to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS.

1. Use one of the following methods to open the Computer Setup Utility.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.
  3. Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F10 .
    Figure 1: Startup menu
    Illustration: Startup menu
    To navigate the menus, choose menu screens by pressing the left or right arrow keys. Use the up or down arrow keys to move through the list of items on the menu screen. Press the Enter key to select an item and open a submenu. Then use the left and right arrow keys to modify the settings. Press the F10 key to save the changes and exit from a submenu, or press the Esc key to exit from a submenu without saving the changes.
  5. Use the right arrow key to choose the Security menu, use the down arrow key to select Secure Boot Configuration , then press Enter .

Figure 2: Security menu
    Security menu
  6. Before you can use this menu, a warning appears. Press F10 to continue to the Secure Boot Configuration menu.

Figure 3: Secure boot warning
    Secure boot warning
    The Secure Boot Configuration menu opens.

Figure 4: Secure Boot Configuration menu
    Secure Boot Configuration menu
  7. Use the down arrow key to select Secure Boot , then use the right arrow key to modify the setting to Disable .
  8. Use the down arrow key to select Legacy Support , then use the right arrow key to modify the setting to Enable .
  9. Press F10 to accept the changes.
  10. Use the left arrow key to select the File menu, use the down arrow key to select Save Changes and Exit , then press Enter to select Yes .
  11. The Computer Setup Utility closes and the computer restarts. As soon as the computer starts, a message appears indicating that the boot mode has changed.

Figure 5: Boot mode change message
    Boot mode change message
  12. Type the four-digit code shown in the message, then press Enter to confirm the change.
    NOTE:No text field displays for the code. This is expected behavior. When you type the numbers, the code is logged even without a text field.
    The computer starts Windows 8.
 These steps were taken from the HP Support document: Computer Does not Start After Installing a Video Card (Windows 😎, but address the issue that you have described so I would recommend you follow them.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply! Unfortunately, my bios does not have the secure boot configuration sub menu.  The secure tab shows the system security submenu, but not the secure boot configuration under it.

After a little digging, (ok, more than a little), I discovered there is a bios update for my mainboard.  My motherboard, the Jasmine 7778 model 2ae0 ver 1,  has a bios update that is only approved for windows 8 OS. (searching 2ae0 on the hp site yielded the result).  Do I need to apply this update even though I have windows 7?  I am curious why there is a bios update for my motherboard, but not compatible with my OS, however I am hesitant to update my bios unless absolutely necessary.

I have actually found that I have the same problem as other users on other forums, but no resolution was ever found.  Maybe this motherboard conflicts with the graphics card.... for some reason.

HP Recommended

In the details it mentions a fix for Win 7: 

Fix/Enhancement
- Resolves system black screen issue.
- Resolves system hang during "Shutting down" screen when selecting Shut down->Restart in Windows 7.

I wouldn't jump the gun and install the update till you hear from somebody with more knowledge than myself because I have been also curious if a bios update for "Windows 8" would work on a pc running another version on windows either 7 or 8.1?

I have the same MOBO, MS 7778 (jasmine), but I'm running windows 8.1. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC doesn't have full UEFI BIOS and if the graphics card expects full UEFI BIOS then you need to contact the graphics card manufacturer for a remedy.

BTW -- most if not all HP motherboards will not run Windows 7 in UEFI mode.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

No gfx card requires a full uefi bios, sometimes you have to tweak bios settings for a gfx card to work with a uefi bios, never with a non uefi bios, when a gfx card is uefi compliant (which isnt many as of yet) it will also be backwards compatible with non uefi motherboards.

HP Recommended

Jamiehavok,

Your post is technically unsound.  Do you even know what full UEFI bios is?

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

i've been through lots of different gfx cards with an old socket 1366 motherboard dating back to 2008 with a 9800 gtx. newest being the radeon r9 290 on the same motherboard, never had to tweak anything, never had compatibility issues. know plenty of people with similar setups and varying gfx cards. thats proof enough for me and some basic googling. uefi is basically a newer form of bios. an interface between the os and the motherboard firmware.

HP Recommended

Jamiehavok.

Your explanation may be plausible for non-HP consumer motherboards with UEFI enabled graphics cards but not for most if not all all HP consumer motherboards.  There have been many GTX 7xx posts out here and these cards will only work in HP consumer PCs with full UEFI BIOS.  I have first hand experience with a leading GTX 7xx graphics card manufacturer that an UEFI video BIOS update to the card would cause it to not boot using a motherboard (non-HP for example) that didn't have full UEFI BIOS.

As far as the new AMD R9 cards, some are UEFI enabled and some are not.

HP Recommended

So from what I can gather from the previous posts, it seems like a bios update is indeed needed.  For my particular PC, the bios update is not available from the update page. 

Although it sounds like a very bad idea, I am tempted to try to update the bios using the update that is for windows 8.  Does anyone know if a different OS will affect a bios update?  Admittedly, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to this, but updates on the motherboard should be independent of the operating system, right?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.