Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Media Center t3630
Windows 7

hi

I added 3Gb Ram and installed Window 7 Ultimate 64bit on HP Pavilion Media Center t3630.it, I can not use all the RAM that I added. (6GB visas / 3.5GB usable)

Searching the HP website is only updated bios for XP and Vista.

On this forum recommended to make a partition with XP or Vista (no installs no system) what can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The motherboard was designed to function with four 1GB modules. It does not allow more.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @DEX91,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are not able to use the RAM you have installed on your notebook computer, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

According to the Product Specifications for your computer, the memory modules installed on your computer must meet the following requirements:

1. Maximum allowed - 4GB* (4 x 1GB) *Actual available memory may be less.
  2. Speed Supported - PC204200 MB/sec
  3. Type - 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

If the RAM you have installed on your system meets the requirements above, and your system still cannot recognize roughly 4GBs of memory, I recommend contacting the manufacturer of your memory purchase to determine if there is an issue with the modules.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you for welcoming me in the forum and thanks for the reply.

The ram installed 6GB detects them, but are used only 3.5GB and post on this forum said to update the bios but it only updates to version 3.19, but does not detect the additional ram

There is no solution to activate the ram for windows (7)?

if there is no solution through the same, will report back the ram and I get 3gb I had before.

hp.jpg

HP Recommended

The motherboard was designed to function with four 1GB modules. It does not allow more.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I have the same motherboard and I installed 8Gb of RAM (4x2GB). If I go into BIOS it recognizes all the RAM, but not Windows or Linux, both are x64. Did you get a solution?

HP Recommended

The BIOS has a bug in it.  While the BIOS can READ and figure out what size DIMMs are installed, it can not actually USE all that RAM. I tested my P5LP-5 motherboard (BIOS 5.23) with a 2GB DDR2 DIMM and it boots and runs fine.  Ditto with 2 x2GB DIMMS.  But it can NOT use any RAM past 4GB.

The motherboard has an Intel  945G chipset on it.  The MAX RAM that the chipset can handle is 4GB.  That's why Win7 64 & Linux can see only 4GB.  It's a 32bit motherboard so 4 GB is the Max. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/27720/intel-82945g-memory-controller.html

If you want to use all your RAM you need to find a motherboard that uses DDR2 DIMMS and is a Socket 775.  My 775 motherboard can handle 16GB RAM and it runs a Quad CPU Q9650.  Yes, I loaded it up with 16 GB RAM.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.