Question

Honor Student
Johan1334
Message 1 of 7 (992 Views)

Upgrade PSU for HP compaq elite 8300 CMT

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I got a Hp Compaq Elite 8300 CMT, and i bought a new graphics card a ASUS GEFORCE GTX 760, i fitted perfectly in my computer but its a bad PSU in it like 320W, and i cant get a new one because its some weird connections from the PSU to the mother card that ''normal'' PSU doest have.  So i need a new PSU with HP standard connections two of the 8 pin one of the 4 pin and one of that weird connection that its written p2 on (the first and the last pic)I need atleast a 500w PSU. Thanks for help!

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0064.jpgDSC_0070.jpgDSC_0074.jpg

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (984 Views)

Re: Upgrade PSU for HP compaq elite 8300 CMT

Hi:

The P/S are proprietary, and you will not find any that I know of for any HP business desktop (dc, Pro or Elite).

Many have looked for these and come up empty handed.

Honor Student
Johan1334
Message 3 of 7 (979 Views)

ok, but can i by an other PSU and by some wire's to connect it?? i already bought the graphics card, if not the only thing to do is to get a new mothercard where i can use standard connections and a new box for the computer, that really sux...

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 7 (976 Views)

Hi:

I am not a PC repair tech or an electronics technician. 

I'm sure it can be done, but I have no idea how to do it, or what you need to do.

I have seen pictures from a few folks on the business support forum, that have cut open the backs of the cases to fit a conventional power supply on some of the business models. Not on the 8300, but on older models.   But then they also know how to rewire the things.

I am sure they have the technological experience and knowledge of circuitry to be able to do that.

You should have bought a workstation if you wanted a business PC with a bigger power supply.

Otherwise, you should have bought a HP consumer desktop where you can install any standard power supply you want.

The Elite PC's are for standard business work and can accomodate low end video cards.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6670 in my 8200 Elite CMT and it works fine for my needs.

Honor Student
Johan1334
Message 5 of 7 (975 Views)

OK, yes but i got it as a birthday present from my father, it a very good computer and its a great mothercard and processor its just the graphics card that is bad, yes i use it the most for gaming but,  my dad is an electrician and im work a lot with welding and so on so it wont be any problem with that part. can you please link the site where you saw this??

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 7 (973 Views)

Hi:

You can do a search on the business support forum.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/

There would be no way for me to find what specific threads I may have saw those in.

I would do a search on power supply upgrade.

Good luck.

Tutor
LightOfReason
Message 7 of 7 (114 Views)

Use an adaptor for your 2nd power supply, that's what worked for me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111284841995?lpid=82
5.00 after all my searching I found the answer, it's not pretty but it works.

Plug one of your SATA power plugs (from your current power supply) into the cable that comes with it, plug in your new ATX power supply ATX plug into the adaptor and you are good to go. When your old power supply turns on the adaptor will turn on your new one, it's awesome.

Add2PSU is another popular adaptor http://www.add2psu.com/

You could buy a dedicated power supply if you can find one but I don’t recommend it, they are expensive, make a lot of heat and noise.

This was a nightmare for me and I don’t want other people having to go through what I did.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation