Question

Top Student
josephfeng
Message 1 of 8 (1,867 Views)

Upgrade hard drive in Compaq Presario SR5505F Desktop PC

This computer only has 2 SATA ports.  One goes to the hard drive, and the other goes to the DVD drive.  I cannot add a second hard drive, so I have to replace the c: drive.  I want to preserve all of my personal stuff that is filling up the c: drive.

I made a cloned copy of my original 160GB drive in a new 1TB drive.

The cloned drive does not boot.  It asks for the Windows installation disk to be put into the DVD drive.  This computer did not come with that disk.  Can I used the recovery disk that I burned?  (Based on othere posts, I anticipate that this will wipe out all of my personla stuff from the hard drive.}  Or do I have to get a real Windows Vista installation DVD from Microsoft?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 8 (1,855 Views)

Re: Upgrade hard drive in Compaq Presario SR5505F Desktop PC

More than likely, it would not be a good idea to proceed with anything on the cloned drive.  I see no explanation on how the drive was cloned but would have to assume it was not done properly.  Try recloning, as the successful clone should work without asking for anything.  What method was used to clone the drive?

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
josephfeng
Message 3 of 8 (1,850 Views)

It was cloned using the "Copy My Hard Drive" function in Norton Ghost.  The box to copy the Master Boot Record was checked.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 8 (1,831 Views)

You might be running into bios limitation on the hard drive size.  I have seen it happen. Also, do not do a sector by sector copy as the new hard drive geometry is probably different compared to your old drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 8 (1,818 Views)

Assuming that both hard drives were connected in order to make the clone, did Norton work in Windows or was the clone made in "a DOS-like" mode?  I have not used Ghost in a while but I think the newer versions work in a Windows environment.  If Windows was allowed to "see" the clone, many times it will mark the drive and then it will not be bootable.  I have used the utility that comes with the retail version of the drive or one can download the utility from the manfucaturer's site to clone the drive and do it in a non-Windows environment, disconnect the cloned drive and then allow the computer to boot with the original drive.  Power down, pull the power plug, and then replace the original drive with the clone.  Reconnect the power cord and boot from the clone.  All should be well.  One could also use Clonezilla, found here: http://clonezilla.org/

That will clone the drive for use, even works with Windows 7 ( I tired a Windows 7 clone to verify)

If the computer in question has the ability to boot from an USB stick, see the part about Clonezilla Live:

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
josephfeng
Message 6 of 8 (1,804 Views)

I ran my Norton Ghost in a Windows Vista environment.

Thanks for the pointer to Clonzilla.  I don't know if it will work because there is no available SATA port for the target drive, and I had to connect it using a USB adapter.    Or do you think that Clonezilla will see the drive when it is attached through a USB adapter (I thought it was a Windows function to recognize USB devices).

I was able to format the 1TB drive through the USB adapter, and afterwards, Vista seemed to recognize its full capacity.

After cloning using Ghost, and then putting the cloned drive in as my C: drive, it asked me to put my Windows installation DVD into the drive so it could get one missing file.  This looks like Microsoft's piracy deterrence scheme, and I am guessing that everything would have been happy if I could comply.  Unfortuantely, this computer did not come with an Installation DVD (and I am not sure that I know how to find the license number); it just came with about 10GB of the hard drive devoted to the image of a recovry DVD, and I had to burn my own recovery DVD from this.

The obvious moral of the story is: do not buy another computer from HP/Compaq, since the hardware, firmware, and operating system will be crippled to keep you from upgrading components and to force you to buy a new computer.

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 7 of 8 (1,803 Views)

Situations will vary from PC to PC.  I cloned my HP laptop to a larger drive without issues.  Some models of Compaq/HP have a hard drive tattoo and some cloning software can't handle the tattoo.  A lot of these cloning issues are related to the OEM operating license restrictions (the OS is tied to the PC it was installed).  Some are tied by motherboard and some by hard drive.  The newer PCs are more likely to be using the motherboard technique.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
josephfeng
Message 8 of 8 (1,725 Views)

The work around was to install a SATA/IDE-to-PCI adapter card, and install the new drive as a second hard drive.  The el cheapo adapter card from eBay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250606866608 ) seems to work fine with my Hitachi 1TB drive.  No thanks to HP/Compaq customer service who would provide no guidance at all ("we never tried anything larger than 500GB, so we cannot tell you anything).  One problem is that I still have not figured out how to get the new drive into the cage for the hard drives, nor how to free up the cage from the chassis, so my new drive is "loose".  I would really prefer to use my new drive as my C: drive and have it mounted securely, but this will do as a stop gap measure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation