Upgrading Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300. (2286 Views)
Honor Student
rish_raj2
Message 1 of 5 (2,286 Views)
Accepted Solution

Upgrading Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300.

I have Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300  (2M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB).
Its quiet old, so my  questions are:

1. Whether I should upgrade my processor or buy a new one (either desktop/laptop)?
2. And if there is a possibilty of an upgrade, then can this processor be upgraded to 2nd genration i3/5/7?
3. I love playing games, and I have only 256mb Nvidia Graphics card. Can I upgrade that also? If yes, then how much?

Thanks in advance!

My desktop details: Compaq Presario SR1932 IL
(Added 2.5GB RAM) 

Dean
old_geekster
Message 2 of 5 (2,262 Views)

Re: Upgrading Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300.

rish_raj2 wrote:

I have Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300  (2M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB).
Its quiet old, so my  questions are:

1. Whether I should upgrade my processor or buy a new one (either desktop/laptop)?  My rule of thumb is not to upgrade the processor unless the speed is nearly doubled.  I don't feel that the performance will be increased enough to justify the cost.

2. And if there is a possibilty of an upgrade, then can this processor be upgraded to 2nd genration i3/5/7? Here are the CPU upgrades supported by HP:  See below.

3. I love playing games, and I have only 256mb Nvidia Graphics card. Can I upgrade that also? If yes, then how much?  The first thing that has to be determined is the wattage of the power supply unit (PSU).  I believe that it may only be 250W.  You can open the case and read the tag on it.  The newer mid-level cards require at least 400W.  Therefore, if my guess is correct, you will have to upgrade the PSU, also.  I like XFX, BFG, EVGA, Sapphire and PNY video cards in that order.  I like OCZ and Corsair PSU's.

With this information, you can make the determination if you should upgrade or buy a new computer.  If you decide to buy a new computer, I suggest a desktop for gaming.  They run much cooler.  Make certain to buy one with the PSU with the most wattage possible.  The PSU is the backbone of the computer.  If you have more questions, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

My desktop details: Compaq Presario SR1932 IL
(Added 2.5GB RAM) 

Rish_raj, welcome to the forum.

Socket type: 775
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6x00 with Dual Core technology (Conroe)
  • Pentium D 9x0 series Dual Core (Presler)
  • Pentium D 8xx series (Smithfield)
  • Pentium 4 6x1 series (Cedar Mill)
  • Pentium 4 6xx (Prescott)
  • Pentium 4 5xx (Prescott)
  • Pentium 4 LGA-775 HT (Prescott)

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 5 (2,241 Views)

Thankyou for your amazing support.
I would just like to ask few more questions:
1. Technologies like "Conroe XE", "Kentsfield", "Kentsfield XE", "Yorkfield", "Yorkfield-6M" & "Yorkfield XE" ( Core2 extreme, Core2 Quad) also have socket type 775. So, can't my processor be replaced by one of them?

2. Actually, I'm kind of low on budget, so now upgrading the processor would be fine or buying a new one will still be the best option?
3. Seeing the advancements in technology, which graphic card should I prefer (even if I buy a new Laptop/Desktop): NVIDIA or Intel HD graphics (which I guess comes in-built)?

Student
lfraga
Message 4 of 5 (1,449 Views)

May I add a video card to the computer, do I change the video settings before adding card?

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 5 of 5 (1,430 Views)

Upgrading Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6300.

Hello lfraga,

What computer do you have?

If you have any available PCI slots then you should be able to add a video card to it just fine.

Normally when you add a video card the on board video auto disables itself so that you don't have to change any settings.

You will have to add the drivers for the video card to the computer, but that would be about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation