Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

RasterBlaster - I'm trying to add 4GB modules to a Z600 and am having no luck.  I'm using the HP part no. FX621UT and installing them in pairs, trying two at a time, for this dual CPU setup and I keep getting 5 beeps every time.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Hey Raster, thanks for the post. I do CAD work for a company and they have me working an xw4100 with 2 MG RAM.  It struggles to run CAD alone and siezes for minutes at a time when another program is opened.  In an attempt to upgrade, the IT tech purchased 4 - 1 gig sticks of memory.  After installing these, the computer seems worse than before.  The old memory was PC 2700 DDR 333.  The new ones are PC3200 DDR 400.  The IT guru said these should be interchangable and shouldn't be a problem.  But clearly something isn't right.  Does the BIOS need tweaking???

I anticipated a snappy, responsive computer able to multitask with ease with the memory upgrade. But that's no the case. I really need to get this figured out.  Please advise.

Thank you

HP Recommended

DrJenki,

I think you have the wrong RAM. You purchased 4 GB (1x4GB) DDR3-1333 MHz ECC Registered DIMM. Your Workstation requires unbuffered in all cases. The Ram you purchased is specifically for a z800.

Here is a list of your supported memory modules : http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13277_na/13277_na.HTML#Supported%20Components

joeschmuck,

If they are all the same DIMMs, then memory might not be the problem. You shouldn't have to change anything in the BIOS either.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv30153/lpv30153.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

If you are working with large files, additional memory normally helps. But generally going from 2 GB to 4 GB will not show much of an impact at the system level - you will roughly get the same performance... unless you are loading large files into memory.

Other things to try:

• Check the Cad's web site to see if there are known compatibility issues. These days there are way too many background tasks that interfere with other processes.
  • Increase system resources... Vista document, XP.
  • Go into the Advanced tab of System Properties and adjust Virtual memory and cache settings. 
  • Updated the graphics driver? You can have all the system memory in the world, but if you can't pipe it into the graphics card you'll get choppy frame rates. Don't see that this is a big part of the problem though as you mention things bog down severely as soon as you open the CAD program.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
hi everyone currently my PC is a Compaq Presario SG3570D desktop pc. it has a 1gb ram and i wanna upgrade to a 2gb ram. My 1gb ram specs is DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-6400 / 800 MHz), CL6 . Can i buy a kingston ram that is pc2-6400 cl6 with model KVR800D2N6/2G? Will it fit into my PC? reply is appreciated thanks
HP Recommended

Looks like you can. But if I am reading the memory part number right - that is a 2 GB stick? So... if your PC is only using 1 GB stick (not 2 512 MB sticks), you can can add it to the one that's in there to get 3 GB. I believe your motherboard only has two slots... but even if you do have 2 512MB sticks, you can stll keep one in there to get 2.5 GB.

http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR800D2N6_2G.pdf

From your motherboard spec:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supported DIMM types:
    • PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
    • PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
  •  

CL is something I don't think I covered. It is basically just latency values to represent "lag" at a given FSB speed. That is, the smaller the number the better - CL5 is better than CL6. I am seeing it more and more from memory manufacturers. However, FSB speed is MUCH more important if you are looking to help speed up your memory. In your case, all the memory in the banks should be PC2-6400 @ 800 MHz (which your new stick is rated at). According to the SG3570D product specifications, the other stick(s) are also PC2-6400 - so they should be a good match.

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
    HP Recommended

My question is directed to the first Author and perhaps anybody who may be able to help. Recently I posted a question regarding changing the hard drive on my PC. In response I was told that I only need to change the hard drive but then I started reading this tread and some others and kind of realized that I may be able to optimize the performance and not just upgrade. As instructed in your directions, I looked up my computer specifications online.

I have a 8000T-8LSXE1. I already have a 40GB 7200RPM UltraDMA but I am thinking to replace it with a 80GB or 120GB.

I only have 256MB RAM, but I am also thinking to increase that to 512MB. I can only see 2 slots for RAM so I think I can not take advantage of dual processing that you mentioned.  

I have three questions: 

First, I have a 256 MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM. Is it better to go with the exact same DDR SDRAM for the next one that I am getting or perhaps does not make much of difference and I can get any DRAM? Is SDRAM better than DRAM? What does 2100 specify (speed)? (I noticed you mentioned that for DDR2, it is better to get from the same factory,...) By the way, would it make sense now that I am upgrading, I change the other 6 year-old RAM too?

Second, I was looking on the specification and it is said that for this series, the cache can be either 256KB or 512KB L2 depending on build date. How would I find this out? And with the goals I mentioned above, does the storage of cache matter to my selection? ( I kind of thought the the speed of cache matter but do not know how I can find it and,...)   

At last, does the motherboard limits the speed of processing (for hard disk/RAM), if so how could I find that?

Thank you,   

HP Recommended

Donya,

Here is the product specifications you refer to:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00009125

1) Your system uses DDR memory so it must be 184pin, 2.5 volts. Other than that you should be able to mix and match sizes. You will benefit if the DIMMs are equal size and manufacturer. Based on the information in the spec, to get the most from your motherboard, this would be two 512 MB PC2100 DDR DIMMs from the same manufacturer. Memory prices for memory this old should be dirt cheap. I would upgrade both to make it 1 GB since you are planning on sticking with this computer.

2) I'm really not sure. The specification doesn't list the chipset. Intel Added cache size to is P4 line with the Northwood chipset - this is probably why that statement is in there. Compaq probably soft rolled the processor given to them by Intel onto the assembly lines - not sure though. L2 cache is referring to a temporary storage area specifically for your processor and does not directly relate to your main memory. You can normally find the processor cache size from the Advanced page of the BIOS Setup Utility (turn on the computer and press F1 repeatedy to enter BIOS Setup).

3) Yes. The motherboard and chipset play a part of the memory upgrade equation and contribute to what you can and can't do. Normally, thier part has already been worked out for you and the spec simply lists the upgrade requirements (memory type, max amount, and speed). I looked. I can't find a motherboard specification for your PC model. Apparently Compaq did not post one in 2002.

I would install two 512 MB PC2100 DDR DIMMs from the same manufacturer.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. I enjoyed learning about the details.

HP Recommended

Hi I have a hp m8095a pavilion and have purchased a 4 gb ddr2-800 kit. The hp specifications says that my motherboard can run ddr2-800 6400

Memory
    • Dual channel memory architecture
    • Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
    • Supports PC2 4200 (533 MHz), PC2 5300 (667 MHz) and PC2 6400 (800 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
    • supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
    • Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
    • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs

Question is, 2 days ago I purchased PNY 4 gig (2x2 DDR2-800) ram and tried it and pc started beeping and only one stick would work with BSOD occurances and the other didnt so I returned it as a faulty good , and replaced it with the G Skill 4 gig kit. Will I have any issues? thanks

Message Edited by skua on 09-01-2009 10:13 PM
    HP Recommended

I am using a dx2200 micro tower PC. And I bought a new TRANSCEND 1GB 800Mhz ram. When I installed it in to the pc, Gives a error report before boot

like "Memory mistmatch". I think the ram frequency is not supported to the Mainboard. Is there a way to update BIOS to remove this error report?

Please help me.

Thanks for your help. I tried to boot the pc inly with new ram. But i can't. There is nothing in the screen instead of "BEEP" sound in PC. What can i do. In the bios the ram value is showed correctly. It's 1536MB. But inside windows it is not showed correctly. Plz help me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.