Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I don't have enough information to determine if the memory is compatible or not. However, you can double-check all of the requirements for the type of memory you installed. This is from your dx2200 Hardware guide. I highlighted the items that might be making your memory incompatible.

>>

Installing Additional Memory - dx2200
The computer comes with double data rate 2 synchronous dynamic random access memory (DDR2-SDRAM) dual inline memory modules (DIMMs).

DIMMs  The memory sockets on the system board can be populated with up to two industry-standard DIMMs. These memory sockets are populated with at least one preinstalled DIMM. The sockets are labeled DIMM1 and DIMM2. To achieve the maximum memory support, you can populate the system board with up to 2GB (2 x 1GB) of memory.

DDR2-SDRAM DIMMs For proper system operation for a dx2200, the DDR2-SDRAM DIMMs must be:

■ industry-standard 240-pin
unbuffered PC2-5300 667 MHz-compliant
■ 1.9 volt DDR2-SDRAM DIMMs The DDR2-SDRAM DIMMs must also:
■ support CAS latency 4 (CL = 4) for PC2-5300 667 MHz
■ contain the mandatory JEDEC SPD information

In addition, the computer supports:
■ 256Mbit, 512Mbit, and 1Gbit non-ECC memory technologies
■ single-sided and double-sided DIMMS
■ DIMMs constructed with x8 and x16 DDR devices; DIMMs constructed with x4 SDRAM are not supported

The system will not start if you install unsupported DIMMs.

<<

Message Edited by RasterBlaster on 09-02-2009 08:45 AM
I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
Hi Raster, can you please help me with my HP Pavilion M8095a issue. I Installed 4 Gig ram (DDR2-800) into the slots 1 and 3 *blue slots*, and when i turn the pc on it will at anytime just restart by itself. I placed the RAM into the black slot and so far It hasn't restarted, and i left it on overnight to see if it would, but it didnt restart. Here is my problem. When I remove the power cable after shutting down the PC, and plug the cable back in and I turn the PC on it wont boot or display anything, but the actual pc is on. When that happens I have to turn it off and turn it back on a few times to get it to work. What is the problem? Please Help.
HP Recommended

Your m8095a product spec lists:

Memory Installed
2 GB

Maximum allowed

• 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)
  • 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)
  • Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
  • Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
    *Actual available memory may be less

Your motherboard spec...

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supports PC2 4200 (533 MHz), PC2 5300 (667 MHz) and PC2 6400 (800 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
  • supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
  • Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
  • Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
  •  

So... if you installed two 2 GB modules into the blue slots and the DIMMs meet the requirements listed above - it should work - unless you got a bad stick of memory. If you installed one 4 GB module into each blue slot, it will not work - as the max per slot appears to be 2 GB.

What happens when you stick one DIMM in blue slot 1? If it doesn't work, swap with the other DIMM... this should help tell you if one of the sticks is bad. If neither work, you probably have the wrong memory or something bad happened to the mobo.

Do you still have the memory that you removed? What happens if you replace the original DIMMs back to their original positions? Memory is very fragile and the circuits can be easily blown by ESD - just by carrying them in your hand and then inserting into the slot.

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
    HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I installed 2 x 2 gb sticks. When the  sticks are in slots 1 and 3 (blue) I will have some problems booting or constant restarting. When I tried the black slot yesterday it was working, but as im at work I will have to wait to re test it. When I place 1 2gb stick by itself in  the blue slot to see if they work they do, I tested both and they work. It could be the blue slots I'm not entirely sure, but I'm more concerned over the pc booting issue, could it be because of the power supply?

Here is what exactly happens (with new ram)

I shut down my Pc and remove power cable, after that I will plug it back in and press the power button and it will turn on, the pc wont display anything. I have to turn it off and turn it back on again (if that dosent work have to retry again untill it works). What is the problem?

HP Recommended

I don't know for sure, but I doubt a memory upgrade would necessitate a new power supply. More likely would be the motherboard architecture and the way it interacts with your exact memory type (and chipset too).

You can see if the problem is related to dual channel mode but installing into blue and black.

Another thing you try is to move a few other components into other slots to try and change the power up behaviour occuring on the mobo - but I have much lower expectations that this will help.

I checked, HP has not released a BIOS update for your product and other models that use the same motherboard.

Gotta run, I'll check back tomorrow. Best of luck.

HP Recommended
    Raster, I have been using my pc all night now and have not experienced any problems regarding the ram so far (touch wood). Now, the problem is, that, when i turn off the pc and turn it back on it will appear as it is booting up, the memory card reader light stays green and nothing happens on the pc. Now this is a problem, and it takes me multiple goes to get it to boot. Any solution for this? Thanks.
    HP Recommended

First off, when you are testing for boot issue, make sure all external media and devices are unplugged - exept for monitor, mouse, and keyboard. 

Based on all the information you have given me, it sounds related to way the PC is warming up ... if it is the PC. You mentioned that the PC appears to be on - does that mean you are simply not seing anything on the monitor... if you leave it, Do you hear the Windows startup sounds? If so, and you are using an LCD monitor, the monitor might be the issue as they can behave this way after they have aged a while - eventually the ccds for the backlight will not be able to startup at all. If you have a spare CRT monitor, connect it to see if the problem goes away or is related to the graphics hardware.

Also, the problem started happening after you changed your memory config. If it were me, I would replace the original memory, for testing purposes - being careful when handling the dimms. Just to see if the problems go away. If the problems do go away, then you might want to try a different brand of memory or the power supply upgrade. If the problems don't go away... Then I am not sure what the heck is going on.

Since we're kind of getting off the topic of memory ... you might want to send me a personal message if you have further questions.

HP Recommended

First post here, looks like some great solutions.

I have a Compaq Presario SR5501P, and I added a 2 gb memory stick to the 1 gb stick already installed. Everything seems to be working properly, but the diagnostic tool (PC-Doctor) says "Maximum Supported Memory 2.00 GB" in the detailed info page for memory.

Why does it say that? If it's right, how do I get the machine to support the additional memory? If it's wrong, where is it getting that?

Control panel system shows 3 gb, Bios shows 3 gb, PC-Doctor shows 3 gb. Spec sheet says the motherboard should support it.

Should I go ahead and replace the 1 gb  with a 2 gb to match the other, even though Vista Home Basic will only support 3.3 gb or so?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Usually, it's the other way around. PC-Doctor can report a max memory limit that is higher than what HP is recommending in support specifications.  Key word - recommending. If an HP spec document states a max of 4 GB, then you should be fine. And you already know about the 3.x limitation of 32-bit OS.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response, but could you address my main concern, please.

Why does PC-Doctor say that the max supported is only 2 gb? If it's right, how do I get the machine to support the additional memory? If it's wrong, where is it getting that?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
    † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.