Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The HP website gives no instructions for updating specific BIOS's - I searched for updating BIOS . It also advises you not to update the BIOS unless it is (absolutely) necessary.

You do not need to update BIOS to upgrade memory.

I have always understood that the vaues shown in the BIOS are what is already installed in your computer, not what you like to be there.Thus the 1333MHz listed is the speed of the memory already installed in your PC (I would think). There a number of different speed parameters associated with memory DIMMs, see wikipedia on 'DDR3'.

If you have DIMMS of different specifications in your PC, specifically different speed specification, whatever the fastest speed is you only get a memory speed of the slower of (the slowest memory DIMM) and (your computer's memory speed limit).

Also you could load and run a program such as Speccy (I don't have a download link to hand, it's freeware by I think Piriform available from their website) which give you detailed analysis of your computer parameters including usually the memory DIMM manufacturer and P/Ns (for some manufacturers anyway) and these can often be looked up on the internet if their parameters are not immediately obvious.

I hope this all coreect and also that it helps.

I understand where you're coming from, angryHPcustomer (but think all the the computer suppliers are similarly frustrating)

Woodwood

20.December.2012

HP Recommended

My desktop computer HP Pavilion p6245d which has a motherboard of Foxconn H-I41-uATX gives a error beeping code of one short-one long beep after i install a 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM on it. The RAM's code is KVR1333D3S8N9/2G, manufactured by Kingston. My system had a original RAM of 2GB installed, but i would like to install another 2GB as it is stated that the motherboard can support up to 4GB of RAM. I've tried cleaning the slots, reseatting the RAM, resetting CMOS, etc, but non of them works. I've also checked through the internet and i found out there are plenty of people having the same problem. Hope someone can help on this issue. Thanks!

HP Recommended
What o/s do you have ? I assume it is 32bit Win7.

Which combinations of DIMM have you tried ? In fact, what RAM do you have, 1 x 2GB or 2 x 1GB ? Does your PC wrk with with just the original RAM in ? Does it work with just the new RAM in place ? Does it matter which slots different RAM is in ?

It may be that that your new K\ingston DIMM will not work in that model of PC (Kingston do not guarantee their generic DIMMs to work even if the spec is nominally correct [which I see that it is]; you need to buy their system specific DIMMs to get thart guarantee). Or it may be that that the two types of RAM will not work together. It's often recommended that you use DIMMs from the same mnfctr. (I don't in my old PC and doesn't seem to be a problem)

Which beep codes you get mean smething different, and helps classify the type of problem. Obviously you cannot find the meaning of your beep code; unfortunately neither can I (the HP website is useless).

If your PC is under warranty get in toch with product support

I hope these suggestions are helpful. Please keep s updated with any new findings/progress/solution.

Woodward
14.January.2013
HP Recommended

document describing beep codes fr HP and Compaq computers is http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07107 but unfortunately it only says that one short and one long beep are symptomatic of a 'memory problem' !

Woodward
14.January.2013

HP Recommended

My computer: HP P6623W, Win764 OS

I bought a 16 GB kit of DDR3 memory, 10600, 1333 mhz (see the link for product details) to increase the memory capacity.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OSYW1S/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

According to the HP website, everything about this memory product matches the description given on this page

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c02560084

so there should be no reason it will not work, but...it does not. I get one long and one short beep, whether it is one module or all 4 or just 2, whatever.

The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is that this memory is 9-9-9-25, which has to do with latency and things like that.

The HP website says nothing about it, so should I just return this memory or is there something else I can do to try and make it work?

Already tried: 1) cleaning any dust (my original memory works fine; the new memory is dust free as far as I can tell)

2) the BIOS has no settings that I can change

3) I can't find any information about whether the new memory is unbuffered

4) The new memory is non-ECC, so there should be no issues there.
5) the new memory voltage is 1.5, so shouldn't be any issues there either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Billyoldster,

First, I should say that I am not an expert !

You have done everything I believe I would have done. Thanks for posting such comprehensive information. If the RAM is buffered then it probably wouldn't work, but I think this is unlikely.  The beep pattern, as I have noted above is symptomatic of a memory problem - we knew that.  The latency is probably standard for this speed of DIMM (check it with one the one the memory configurators for your system that are available).  Amazon typically do not provide very comprehensive technical details, HP are better (but not that much).  This product has some poor reviews (actually the best way to describe  the reviews is 'mixed').

Memory is often designed for specific systems, which is why manufacturers have seemingly  so many different parts with the same spec. Often the 'value' spec will work just aswell as the pukka part, and mayy for all I know be the same part with a different number, but most manufacturers have tested the pukka part in the system they are selling it for, whereas the 'value' part is untested in your (or any particular) system.  Hence it may be that the DIMMs from that supplier do not function in the P6623W fr that spec, even though the the the spec seems to be the same. This might be eg because of small differences in the timing details.Anther unlikely possibility is that you have been  supplied with four defective modules. 

So, what I would do (and this is only what I'd do) is return them to Amazon and get a full refund.

Woodwood

15.January.2013.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your feedback! I was planning on it, but it's such a shame to return what are probably perfectly good modules that don't work because of something little thing that shouldn't be.

HP Recommended

Dear Community,

a bit of help on this please :

O/S : Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

Motherboard : IPISB-CH2 (Chicago) in a H8-1070uk system

issue : additional memory not recognised

As per description this motherboard should support 16gb of RAM in 4 slots (4x4gb), the O/S should also be able to address this amount.

I had already 8gb (2x4gb) installed, now I bought additional 8gb (2x4gb) . All 4 modules (old and new) have the same capacity (4gb), same manufacturer (Samsung), same specs (PC3-10600 DDR 1333MHz)

Original configuration : old modules are in slot 1 and 3 = 8gb recognised as per design

Testing done :

- old modules in slot 1 and 3, new modules in slot 2 and 4, fits perfectly, Windows boots, no error beep but only 8gb displayed in Windows instead of 16gb

- old modules removed, new modules in slot 2 and 4, no boot, error beep (likely because the system does not see any memory)

- old modules in slot 2 and 4, new memory removed, Windows boots, 8gb displayed

- old modules removed, new modules in slot 1 and 3, no boot, error beep (likely because the system does not see any memory)

- old modules in slot 2 and 4, new modules in slot 1 and 3, fits perfectly, Windows boots, no error beep but only 8gb displayed in Windows instead of 16gb

Any ideas ? If the new memory would be faulty, I would expect an error beep if old and new memory is installed together. Maybe a BIOS upgrade needed ? Or maybe there are more specifications additionally to PC3-10600 DDR 1333MHz, if I look on the modules it says PC3-10600U on the two old modules and PC3-10600R on the two new modules.

Ove Haithabu

HP Recommended

Hi Haithabu,

You may not get 1600 using a "Sandy Bridge" Intel processor.  The Intel "Ivy Bridge" processor has the 1600 default.

However, you can try the below suggestions and see if you can get all the memory to be recognized.

There is a bios update posted for your PC so you might consider installing that update.  Contact HP Support to see if the update applies to your issue.

You may not get all of the dimms to work correctly together is the SPD (serial presence detect) information contained inside the dimms is not the same.  This a prime reason why manufacturer's want matching dimms to be used.

Download CPU-Z and use it to inspect the SPD information within each of the four dimms.

The procedure that I would use is to remove all of the dimms then:

1. Install one dimm in a blue slot and clear the CMOS. Now boot up your PC and use CPU-Z in inspect the SPD information.

2. Repeat the process for each of the four dimms.

3. If the SPD information is matching for all four dimms then proceed with the following steps.

4. Install another dimm in the vacant blue slot and clear the CMOS. Boot up your PC and make sure that all of the memory is recognized.  Additionally, use CPU-Z to make sure that dual channel operation is being used.

5. When you install the third dimm, boot into the bios and make sure that the third dimm is being recognized.  Look under system information in the bios.

6. Now repeat step 5 for the fourth dimm.

Post your observations.  Thanks.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I think HP has done a poor job of documenting how their pc's actually work. See my previous posting about adding 16 GB of memory to my computer. The P6623w is supposed to also handle 16gb of memory, but in my experience, the only 4 GB memory that will work is special HP memory that is only available from HP. After trying in vain to find suitable alternatives on the web, I finally called HP's memory "department" or whatever it is, and they informed me that yes, there are 4 GB memory modules for my computer, and they gave me a part number, saying (by the way) that they had some for sale.

But I checked elsewhere on the web, and that part number DOES NOT EXIST anywhere. Usually a google search of the part number will yield a wide variety of different places to buy that memory part, but not this one. So I finally gave up trying for 16 and settled for 8 gb of Crucial memory (four 2 gb modules), all the same part number and brand, and now my computer runs reall nice. I didn't really need the full 16, but it would have been nice, not necessary.

The moral of the story is that yes, in theory, your computer probably can support 16 gb of memory, but it is more likely only going to support 8 gb, like mine, unless you call HP's memory "store" and ask for the specific part number for the 4 gb memory module that your computer will actually run on. Otherwise, you will probably never find a compatible memory module elsewhere.

Why HP would only allow customers to upgrade to 16 gb of memory, if they buy THEIR memory, is puzzling to me. It seems to me that this practice will turn off more customers than it is worth in any additional memory sales they might make. I like my HP pc. It works great, and I've not had any hardware failures in over a year since I bought it. This memory thing is a big negative though. I hope they reverse their ideas in this area.

Sorry, I don't have that phone number, but if you contact HP via a chat window, they can direct you to it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.