Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Rob,

Use CPU-Z or PC Wizard to pull the exact specifications when each stick is installed.  Look carefully at the CAS latency and timings.   Typically memory manufacturers want matched pairs to avoid compatibility issues.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi All

I've searched some but must admit I haven't read this complete thread.

I have a Pavilion a6654, Vista 64 bit.

It came with 4 x 1 GB of memory DDR2 PC2-6400, one in each available slot.

Specs say it can be upgraded to 8 GB which I tried ... to no avail!

I bought 4 x 2 GB PC2-6400 (Corsair CL5 XMS2).

As soon as I put in more than 4 GB, it either BSOD's after a while, get corrupt graphics, wont start up or whatever.

I tried just about every combination: 2,2,2,2 - 2,2,2 - 2,1,2 - 2,1,2,1 ...

I updated the BIOS for the IPIBL-LB (Benicia) motherboard  to 5.43

I ran Memtest86+ to test the memory and it fails but only in one of the above combinations!

When I put in 2,0,2,0 (4 GB) it's OK, the 2 others also.  Then I tested each memory card each in different slot to make sure they're all OK AND all slots are still OK and they all pass.

It seems the memory itself is completely OK and can be used by the MoBo (I'm running it now) but no more than 4 GB ... 😞 :HalfEyes:

Now I'm all out of options!  Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks a lot in advance!

HP Recommended

It seems that you did the right thing by buying all matching dimms.  What are the CAS and timings for the old memory?  The model search for a6654 brings back a different model (a6654de) with a different motherboard.

Try Clearing the CMOS when the new memory is installed.  This is the motherboard for the a6654de but the procedure is the same.

The have the Benicia motherboard installed in one of my PCs but it only has 6 gb.

Try a 6 gb configuration. Use the highest density dimms in the first slot of each channel bank then use 1gb dimms in the other two slots.  Does that work? 

Review these posted articles that would apply to VISTA 64 bit and the Benicia motherboard.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi Dave

Thanks for trying to help out.

The old memory worked at CL6@400 MHz and can work on CL5@333, CL4@266.

Sorry I didn't mention the complete model number which is a6554.be; I thought the last part was the country I bought it in and would have been irrelevant but I guess I was wrong.  But it's the same as your link.

I did, as per your advice, try to clear the CMOS.  Memtest still fails when all mem  (4x2) installed.

I cleared it again and tried 2,1,2,1 but it didn't even come up to the boot screen so I removed the 1 GBs again.  As I said in my original post, I did try that before so I'm not sure if this was a combination of CMOS clear and this memory config though.

Am I also correctly interpreting that this combination of the old CL6 and the new CL5 lowers the complete set (bus?) to 333 MHz and therefore a much lower memory speed? (on earlier tests the 2,2,2,1 gave a speed og 2907 MB/s instead of 4215 MB/s for 2x2 GB or even 4529 MB/s for 4x2 GB obviously only during testing).

Thanks also for your info about the Vista 64/Benicia but I already saw that and upgraded the BIOS to 5.43 accordingly.

I'm hitting a brick wall here ... do you have any other aces up your sleeves?

B.t.w. I may not have mentioned that I bought 2 sets of 2x2 GB, not 1 set of 4x2 GB.  I sure hope that won't be a problem?!  As I understood this would only really matter for gamers who wish to draw every last speed advantage out of it, not that it would be mandatory.

Thanks!

Patrick

HP Recommended

Patrick,

I am running out of aces. You did all the right stuff buying 4 matching dimms.  The installed processor will generate the memory clock speed.  The faster processors installed in the Benicia mobo will therefore clock the fastest.

I am using the PC2-6400 dimms with my Intel E8400.  When I graded the memory, I made sure the dimms matched exactly to the specifications of the other dimms.

HP Recommended

I got a hp m8330f that I upgraded from 3gb to 8gb ram and from 32bit to 64bit os.  The ram I bought was this and according to this chart  it looks like it should work. windows 7 64 crashed a few times durring install but eventually took. Now it blue screens rather frequently. I think the issue is the ram speed settings. In my BIOS it's showing as pc2-6400 when I think it should be pc2-5300. That option is greyed out so I don't see a way of changing it. admitantly, I have never updated the bios and the hp website doesn't have one listed and I cant find the asus sister board name.

I know it's silly to upgrade a 3 year old machien but I'm taking it to afganistan to work on my portfolio and don't really want to bring something worth alot.

Thanks

-Ryan

HP Recommended

Hi

I'm new to thins forum and I didn't read the whole topic yet just scanned it, forgive me if this question was already answered.

I think I have a problem:

I added 6GB of RAM to my computer (HP s5360f, Windows 7, 64) which too it to 12gb of RAM total . After that I noticed that the fan started spinning every 2 minutes for 30-35 sec. It seems to be working really hard. I'm not sure at all if it's connected but adding the ram was the only change I made to my computer. Apart from it being really loud and frankly annoying I'm not sure it's safe. If anybody has any suggestions or maybe knows how to stop this - your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

HP Recommended

I may have fixed my own issue... I took one of the sticks out and all issues went away... maybe a bad stick, maybe a bad mobo... I dunno. gunna try it with 3 2gb and 1 1gb. while the extra gig would have been nice, I can still do my work without it.

HP Recommended

I have already upgraded a HP Pavilion RZ554AA to Window 7 64 Bit.  The HP site and system specs are clear as to whether the memory can be upgraded beyond the 4 GB if 64 BIT os is uitlized.  I've put 5.5 GB memory in and various utilities clearly show that 5.5 GB is installed, however, Windows Control Panel "System" states that Memory - 5.5 GB Installed (3.5 GB Useable).

What is the restricting factor for more memory ? The chip set, the motherboard, the BIOS version or settings or the OS being 32 or 64 Bit ??

The motherboard by the way is ASUStek Leonite 5.00, Bios is Phoenix 5.17

Any assistance on this appreciated.

HP Recommended

its been about a yr since i installed the memory sticks, now my cpu just locks up, stops working, screen shuts down but the cpu still runs, it also works as long as it wants then goes on vacation for a day or two?!! sometimes when i reboot there are corrupt graphics on the screen.....Since i last posted i tried removing the norton that came with it, my internet provider gave free MacAfee & when i left them i took that off & installed avast (free version)....Added skype but that's all, is it a memory issue?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.