Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Thanks to everyone for all the great feedback. -Sticky?
Message Edited by RasterBlaster on 04-24-2009 11:33 AM
I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi, Great Sticky! I have 4 GB (4 x 1 GB) DDR2 PC2-6400 and a 32 bit Vista OS. I'm not sure what frequency they run at but if I wanted to rplace them for larger sticks of faster ram I would first have to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Vista? And which dual channel ram do you recomend OZC or Corsair? I'd like to go up to 8 gigs , Heck 16 gigs if the price is right. I've never seen ram this cheap. Man I've been gone too long.

HP Recommended

tinmann840,

I don't think upgrading to Vista 64-bit will make your RAM upgrade faster, but it does enable you to stuff more RAM into a PC  - *IF* - the motherboard also allows more memory. Having a wider data stream (from 32 to 64) can speed things up when the software programs (and OS) take advantage of the wider data paths... such as declaring bigger variables or compiling code using 64-bit options.

Anyhoo, I don't know which product model you have, so I don't know what motherboard you have, so I don't know how high your system can go. Essentially, if you look up the motherboard specifications for your PC model number you should be able to find the memory upgrade information you need - including the speed. One thing you should know is that you don't want to go over the speed rating that the system can support and you don't want to mix the sticks... for example a 667stick and an 800 stick - all sticks will run at the slowest speed.

Best bet for all mem upgrades is to make all sticks the same speed, same size, same manufacturer.

I have had good luck with all the memory brands I have installed from different - Samsung, NEC, Corsair, I don't think I've ever had OZC... perhaps someone else might want to chime in.

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

nHi, I just bout 2 GB of RAM for my HP Pavilion Slimline s7700n PC and I was looking around for a tutorial or video to help me get to the actual RAM slots because i dont want to pay $50 to do something easy, so if someone could please just help me out it would be appreciated 🙂

Colt

HP Recommended

The ram slot should sit right under the back of the DVD drive. Here is a support document with a video that show you how to remove the drive to gain access to the slot. Seems pretty easy to follow.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00619462

The slots in the image on HP's web site are blue:

HP Recommended
I own a HP Pavilion a1228x computer, and I want to upgrade my memory to 1GB, but I'm having trouble finding compatiable memory sticks, can you help me?
HP Recommended

Memory Installed 512 MB (2 x 256)

Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) requires the replacement of the installed 256 MB DIMMs

Speed supported PC3200 MB/sec

Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM DIMM slots Four

Open DIMM slots Two

You should have two open slots. You should be able to purchase and install 2 x 256MB DDR SDRAM

HP Recommended
I've tried several RAM configurations in my Pavilion m7840n desktop, but each time I go over 2GB of RAM, the PC goes into a reboot repeat cycle. I've tried just adding 2 additional 1GB DIMMs, as well as installing 4 new 1GB DIMMs (1 in each slot) and installing 2 new 2GB DIMMs in place of the original DIMMs, but no combination seems to work except for 1GB DIMMs in two of the slots. Any suggestions?
HP Recommended

How can you find out the max of memory per slot you can use

HP Recommended

Find the max memory specification from your PC models product specification or motherboard specification and divide it by the number of memory slots on your mothermoard. I believe HP has already done this for you (if you have a desktop PC) if you look on the motherboard specification - the motherboard specification can be found in the product information category on you PC model's Customer Care support page.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.