Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, I just asked about my hard drive when I saw this thread. My memory is next to be upgraded so I may as well do it the same time as the hard drive.This computer has been sitting for almost a year when the drive crashed and I miss it. It's a great computer with alot of bells and whistles even if it is old. I hate the thought of another computer in the computer trash heap of the world. So I'm trying to fix it myself. Thru this forum and HP I think I can do it.

I have a HP Media Center m1095.

Ram: 512 2x256

Max:4GB I have to replace the installed 256 DIMMS

Speed: PC3200 MB/sec

Type:184 pin,DDRI-400SDRAM

DIMM slot: 4 Open slots: 2

Can I go to the 800 speed with this.Says mx approved memory module 1GB and max approve memory is 4GB. It does say Front side bus 800MHz is this what I need for that speed? Hope I'm not taking on to much!! Thanks

HP Recommended

You need PC3200 or DDR 400 memory.  Add another pair of 2 x 512MB.  No need to dump the old memory modules unless they will not boot with the new sticks.  The newer DDR2 800 memory is not compatible with your PC.  Unfortunately, older RAM will cost a lot more $.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146577

HP Recommended

Thank you again for the quick reply and the correct link to order at Newegg also. I'm ordering my hard drive from there also.

HP Recommended
No problem.  Uncheck all non-essential applications from MSCONFIG's STARTUP tab so that you don't waste memory on applications that you don't need to run at each boot.  You'll probably don't need more than 1GB RAM running XP.
HP Recommended

Hi,one more question I'm alittle confused. I CAN add the 2 512's with the 2 256's that are already there  OR do I have to get 4 512's Which means I will buy 2 of the 2packs at the link you sent me from Newegg. Sorry to sound so dumb but I was reading something about it will only run as fast as the slowest speed installed. Am I confusing that with the hard drive. (I'm trying to do this with 3 little kids running around UGH!)

Thanks again,

HP Recommended

Remove the two 256s and replace them with the two new 512s (same slots).  Make sure the modules are fully seated into the motherboard.  Reboot and check for problem.  If okay, then shut down the PC and add the two old 256s to the other empty slots.  Reboot.  Hopefully, the old RAMs will run well alongside the new RAMs. 

One of my rig runs WXP Pro very well with 1GB RAM.  I don't think you will need more than 1GB!  If you have the need to spend $, then order another memory kit if you cannot re-use the old 256 sticks.  All of these modules are PC3200s, so there will not be any speed drop.

One other note.  HP motherboards don't have an option to adjust memory timing.  The default timing for a pair of PC3200 is 1T.  If you add another pair (even the same identical matching kit), the PC may not boot unless you drop the timing to 2T.  I don't think you can manually change this setting on your motherboard.  The best case is that the motherboard will AUTO adjust the timing from 1T to 2T when it sees four sticks of RAM.

I think you will not see any problem with four sticks.

HP Recommended

Thanks so very much. I think I can do this. You all are awesome for all the time you put in helping people like me. I would love to know all this stuff it fascinates me. I learned alot today just reading the different threads and HP site.

Sincerely,

Campgirl1224

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion a6100y and want to upgrade the memory, right now it had 2gb and I want to go to 4gb. the HP site says max memory is 2 gb, but when I got the the manufacture website it says max is 4gb... I'm running windows vista 32bit. I would like to know for sure if I can upgrade before I spend the money.

Thank you!!

HP Recommended
Thanks - Great post.  Did not know about the specifications sheet. 
HP Recommended

Thanks!

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.