Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I don't know why PC-Doctor is reporting 2 GB when all other media tells you that is 4. I am not a programmer, but it looks like a glitch or it is pulling oudated data from a DMI table. According to your original post you already proved that the system can physically accept more than 2 GB. PC-Doctor's report does not equal "system support". It is only a reporting and testing tool.

If the BIOS showed 3 GB after you put in a 1 GB stick and 2 GB stick, then the system can handle 4 GB... and you should preferably use 2 x 2GB sticks of the same make and manufacturer.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended
I have an HP Pavilion a257c 

According to the product specs the maximum allowed RAM is 1GB.  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00026092

However, when I check the motherboard specs for this system, the maximum RAM is listed as 2GB. http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00019945

Which specs should I go by? 

HP Recommended

so what happends when you run a A.R.C. system ( Agressive Ram Configiration ) like mine . the a1723w Hp pavilion desktop pc product specifications ask for pc2 4200 533Mhz  with a 4x1gb lemit  for a total of 4gb ,i am running 4x2gb pc2 5300 677 Mhz with a 4x2gb total 8gb .

the system will not run with 2gb chips in slots 1 and 3 primary ,because of heating issues . yet the computer runs stable and 8 gb fast with all 4 slots full ..?

HP stated it could not run over 4 gb . they were wrong ..

under these conditions it can not only run 2gb chips without haveing its ram slots full , it can in fact run 8gb total ..i do have 10 fans running and 1 gb of geforce 9400 GT and spin Q cpu cooler and harddrive cooler and a few other goodies . but the fact remains some computers can in fact upgrade to this A.R.C. system ...

when i explaned this A.R.C. system to HP they had no idea the computer could run this A.R.C. system ...i can only beleive they tested this computer  with the 1&3 slots  and not the full configiration i am running ...

my system is 8gb razor fast and stable ....

HP Recommended

neatoman,

THe motherboard specification lists the maximum that the board can handle 2GB - 2x1024 MB. You product specification lists the maximum memory that HP recommends for your SYSTEM. Yes... I agree that the way HP used to list can be misleading. So... you can upgrade to 2 GB, but you might want to think about upgrading the power supply while you are at it and possibly doing a little something more about case ventilation... like installing a slot fan (after you upgrade the PS).

Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

i agree with RasterBlaster  you should upgrade PS .if you have two slots and your going to upgrade your ram beyond the product specifications .make sure you have both slots full and dont mismatch ram , if you force your system to handle more data . make sure its a smooth stream of data .it helps in the long run .. something else you should look at is a CPU cooler and  hard drive cooler ...   smart upgrades , i dont think HP is misleading as much as the computer design focus is moveing so fast there was no way for them to test ram that did not exist when the computers were made .. now we have modern multi compatible ram ..

just MHO ..

HP Recommended
My HP Pavilion has the PTGD1-LA mobo made by AsusTek.  I bought some RAM to upgrade, but it is registered, ECC RAM.  When I put it in the computer makes a high-pitched whine and will not boot.  Do I need to buy some new unbuffered, non-ECC RAM?
HP Recommended

Yep. I think the problem is that you are trying to use registered DIMMS:

There are a few motherboard specifications for the PTGD1 boards (they can be different) - but most state:

Four 184 pins DIMM sockets support up to 4GB non-ECC 2.6V DDR SDRAM (Register DIMMs is not supported)

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00300046

HP Recommended
The z600 computer uses a new intel cpu that has a memory controller with 3 channels onboard. I you have one CPU module you can only use three memory slots. If you have two cpu module's you can use all 6 slots. If you try to use four slots with only one cpu you will get a memory error. Look in the bios <f10> and check the memory configuration. The fourth memory slot will report an error.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info on upgrading memory.

My wife has an income tax business and her new tax program for 2010 recommends that she has 2 gig of ram memory.

She has 3 computers: 2 HP Pavilion A210E's and 1 Compact Presario SR1300NX.

All 3 computers have the same motherboard: Asus A7V8X LA. The Compaq MB spec on HP support says that the Compaq will only upgrade to 1 GB ram.

I purchased, from Newegg.com,1 kit of 2 X 2gig DDR PC333 184 PIN RAM 2,5v

I tried it in 1 HP computer and it booted up fine and reports 2 gig system ram.

I then installed it in the Compaq and it also booted up fine and reports 2gig of system ram.

Therefore, I am ordering 4 more 1 gig sticks of the same ram for the other 2 computers.

Keep up the good info flowing. :generic:

HP Recommended

I have a Compaq Presario SR2172NX.  It was pre-installed with 1GB PC2-4200 DDR2 RAM.  I have spent the weekend attempting to add an additional 1GB RAM.  I purchased a 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM 667MHz memory module.  I installed the new memory but the BIOS failed to recognize it.  So I removed the old memory and BIOS did recognize it (but BIOS showed it as PC2-4200 which I wasn't surprised as the 5300 is supposed to be downwardly compatible).  After experimentation, I was able to get BIOS to recognize either memory module in either slot with only one module installed at a time; however I couldn't get BIOS to recognize both memory modules when installed at the same time at once to upgrade me to 2GB. 

So I purchased a third memory module, again a PC2-5300 DDR2 667MHz module.  It also worked alone in either memory slot, but I couldn't get both PC2-5300 recognized together nor any combination of the 5300/4200 (original) memory modules to get me to 2GB.  So I seem to be stuck on 1GB RAM.

I upgraded the BIOS and also at one point took out the lithium battery in the computer for 30 minutes and put it back in to try to get it to recognize both memory modules with no luck. 

Any ideas how to get this computer to recognize two 1GB memory modules?  Also, if I was to purchase a 2GB module, would the computer recognize it (e.g. install one 2GB module instead of two 1GB modules)?   Thank you!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.