Question

Honor Student
squeekem
Message 1 of 3 (1,184 Views)

Upgrading Vid card and PSU on my a6414f

[ Edited ]
My wife and I are upgrading our a6414f 's Graphics card from the chipset to a real card (EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express ). My wife ordered with out doing any research and realized that I will also have to upgrade our PSU from the standard 300 to a 450. My PC tech knowledge goes as far as adding RAM and dropping in cards. with this actually work on our PC?  and if it will could anyone give some advice as to what specs the PSU should be (I have a Athalon 64 3.0 Ghz. and will be purchasing from Best Buy, here is a link to the PSU they carry   http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=abcat0507009&type=category . The Anatec is what I was thinking of.   Thank you all in advance :smileyhappy: !!!!
Message Edited by squeekem on 04-23-2009 07:41 AM
Message Edited by squeekem on 04-23-2009 10:54 AM
Message Edited by squeekem on 04-23-2009 11:17 AM
Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 3 (1,161 Views)

Re: Upgrading Vid card and PSU on my a6414f

Squeekem, you are making a good move upgrading to a standalone video card.  This will free-up some system memory.  I am an overclocker, so I require a PSU that will provide clean, stable and reliable power for the components in my computer.  Here is the PSU that I have in my gaming PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001

Not only is it made by one of the best enthusiast/gamer manufacturers, it is a great price.

The main thing to check is the measurements of your current PSU against the new one, to assure it will fit in the space provided.  You can get the measurements for any PSU from the manufacturer's website.  Since the PSU only provides the amount of power required by the computer to operate, it won't hurt to install one with more wattage.  It simply will allow you to upgrade your computer in the future, without the fear of not having enough power to do the job.

The two e-tailers that I use most often are Newegg and ZipZoomFly.  They are both very good.  I have found that there is not one of them that is the lowest price all of the time.

If you have further questions or concerns, please let us know.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (1,155 Views)

Re: Upgrading Vid card and PSU on my a6414f

thanks so much for great advice!!! I will keep you posted how the job goes :smileyhappy:
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation