Upgrading Video Card - Won't Boot - Pavilion HPE h8-1234 (1653 Views)
Honor Student
SithLord
Message 1 of 13 (1,653 Views)

Upgrading Video Card - Won't Boot - Pavilion HPE h8-1234

My Pavilion HPE  h8-1234 came with a Radeon 7450 video card. It runs Windows 7 - 64bit. UEFI boot.

I am trying to upgrade to a Radeon 7770 video card. I plug in the card and connect all cables, but it won't boot. The screen remains blank.

I tried the 7770 card with the stock 300 watt power supply. I have also tried it with a new 585 watt power supply. Neither works.

I have tested the new 7770 card on other computers and it works fine. The 585watt PS also works fine. They both work fine with each other in other systems. The only problem is the HP Pavilion computer... it does not seem to work with anything other than the stock 7450 video card .

What should I do? Is the Pavilion non-upgradeable? Should I return the new 7770 video card?

Teacher
antde2001
Message 2 of 13 (1,635 Views)

Re: Upgrading Video Card - Won't Boot - Pavilion HPE h8-1234

Hi SithLord,

I see you're having trouble booting your computer after installing a new graphics card. Let's run through some steps to ensure everything is where it needs to be for a proper boot. 

The 7770 has one PCI-E 6 slot port on its front end, if your PSU's power connector for this area is securely fastened then it should be receiving proper wattage. 

When you power on the PC, does the motherboard post or do you hear any beep codes? If so, what is the sequence? 

If your older card works and the issue is isolated to this one card then I'm going to assume it may be a cmos/bios issue. To solve that you can remove the cmos battery for about 10 seconds, put it back in, install the card and then power the system back on. This will usually remove any problems the motherboard may be having communicating with the card. 

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 3 of 13 (1,628 Views)

[ Edited ]
Honor Student
SithLord
Message 4 of 13 (1,614 Views)

Hi,

All cables are fastened properly.

I removed the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and reinserted it.

Still getting nothing.

There are no beep codes. Just blank screen.

Honor Student
SithLord
Message 5 of 13 (1,613 Views)

My computer came with windows 7 (not 8) preinstalled.

I plugged the original video card back in and went to the setup. Under Startup settings - Security - Secure Boot..... it was ALREADY DISABLED. Originally before I installed the new card, I did check the settings and the secure boot was already disabled.

There is no Legacy support option in my firmware.

I changed the setting to Secure Boot - Enable. There is still no Legacy option.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 13 (1,608 Views)

Sorry, I was thrown by your statement of UEFI boot.

I equate UEFI boot with W8, though looking back at your post, I see that you stated the PC came with W7.

I would have to say that card isn't compatible with your PC then.

Teacher
antde2001
Message 7 of 13 (1,606 Views)

Quick question, do your system fans start up when you power on the PC and do you get a single beep from the mobo?

I ask because a system can boot without a GPU so you should be able to get a normal start up even if the card is not being accessed properly. If you're not getting this kind of start up then there may be a bigger issue.

If you post properly and you're still not getting a signal it's very likely that the PSU is inadequate. Is it possible for you to install the card and PSU in another system to see if it works there?

Honor Student
SithLord
Message 8 of 13 (1,591 Views)

all fans power up properly and there is no beep from the motherboard. Only bad thing I'm getting is the completely blank monitor.

I am going to put an old 6850 card in and test it... maybe this pavilion just has a weird issue with the new 7770.

Teacher
antde2001
Message 9 of 13 (1,586 Views)

I'd imagine that if the PSU is powering the card correctly that there may be an issue with the PCI-E port, but that's rare and highly unlikely since it's able to transfer data between the old card and the mobo.

You said you hear no beep, this is not the norm for a proper post. You'd usually get a single short beep when the system is booting. Do you recall ever hearing such a beep when running the system with the working card?

Usually to test a issue with a GPU I'd recommend you breadboard the system, but that may be a little to much of a hassle for you. Let me know how you'd like to proceed, but if you're willing to change out the PSU for another and check if that works.
Honor Student
ROCCOSuPPoRT
Message 10 of 13 (1,005 Views)

Hi,

It looks like you have the same problem only with a other pc my hp pavillion elite hpe wich came with a gt 440 wont boot after installing a 7750 wich is based on the same gpu as the 7770 so i tried intalling a old nvidia gpu a gt 220 wich worked yust fine i thought the hd 7750 was broken but i tried in a old hp pavillion elite hpe and again it worked yust fine now iam going to trie some bios settings or even trie installing a other bios let me know what you think
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation