Question

Honor Student
Cool_Lang
Message 1 of 6 (946 Views)
Accepted Solution

Upgrading Video Card on HP Envy 700

I recently bought an HP Envy 700 computer, trying to use it as our central entertainment PC, only to find out that the HDMI output only spits 2.0 sounds while I need 5.1 surround sound. 

Did some research and found that only newer and fancier video cards have this function.   Bought a Radeon R7 260X Video Card, plugged it in but the motherboard would not recoganize it.   

Then I realized that it may be because the motherboard (IPM87-MP by Pegatron) is not compatible with the video card or it may be because the 450W power supply is not enough.   

I would highly appreciated if any PC experts could advise on how I can make it work.   

Thank you!

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 6 (938 Views)

Re: Upgrading Video Card on HP Envy 700

Hi:

On PC's that come with Windows 8, you need to change 2 BIOS settings in order to use a non-HP video card in your machine.

Please see the info at the link below and hopefully that is all it is.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03653200&lc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_us...

Honor Student
Cool_Lang
Message 3 of 6 (934 Views)

I see.   Thanks for the tips.  Will try it out tonight.  

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 6 (927 Views)

You're very welcome.

Tutor
CM700
Message 5 of 6 (914 Views)

Please report back your results. Im going to be purchasing a gtx 770 for mine and would like to know if there is any incompatabilty with this motherboard.

I Have already sorted out the PSU and Bios Changes, and whether or not it will fit in the case. All i need to know is if theres any underlying issues with the 700 series GTX cards and this motherboard.

Honor Student
Cool_Lang
Message 6 of 6 (893 Views)

Ok.  I've got the video card working on my computer, using the original 460W power supply.  

Still working on getting 5.1 to my receiver through a video matrix though.   Going to play around the settings on my matrix and see if it can successfully pass the surround audio.  

For the record, I've successfully upgraded the video card to Radeon R7 260x on my HP Envy 700 by just changing the bios and swapping the video card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation