Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am trying to upgrade the memory on an HP Stream Mini 200-010. The unit came with one stick of 2GB Micron memory. I am simply trying to add an additional stick of memory in the one open slot. I am using the EXACT IDENTICAL type of memory stick as the PC came with, Micron MT4KTF25664HZ-1G6E1 - 2GB.

When I added the second stick and rebooted, the PC still showed only 2GB ram. I then tried putting the original stick of memory the PC came with in the second slot and quickly realized the slot was not working. I also tried putting my new additional stick in the first slot and it also worked. So both memory sticks work fine in the one slot, but not in the other.

Is there a hidden setting in the bios or a jumper on the motherboard I need to set to enable the second memory slot on this computer? There actually is a setting in the bios to enable/disable each of the 2 memory slots, but BOTH are already set to Enabled.

For the record, the HP shopping website clearly states that this PC is upgradable to 16gb of memory. 

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/desktops/hp-stream-mini-desktop---200-010

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

Hello @polara,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how you are attempting to upgrade the memory on your Stream Mini, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

Since the second memory slot did not detect the identical memory module installed, even after ensuring the BIOS could recognize it, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

I hope this helps!

Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

UPDATE: I was wrong about there being a setting in the bios to enable/disable the memory slots. The setting was for the M2 card slots (hard drive, wireless), not the memory slots.

I have already called tech support, and I'm afraid they were most unhelpful. They tried to tell me that this PC is only capable of 2GB ram. Besides that, they seemed to have no information whatsoever about this particular PC.

The unit I have now is the second Stream Mini I have tried. I returned the first one thinking it had a faulty memory slot and purchased a second unit from B&H. Now this unit is showing the same issue. What are the chances that two units could have the same issue with a defective memory slot? And it's the SAME memory slot, slot #1, the white one.  What are the chances?

I have been building my own windows PC's for over 20 years and I have NEVER had a PC that didn't immediately recognize a new memory chip when inserted. So I ask again: Is there a jumper on the system board that needs to be moved or is this truly a case of 2 identical PC units shipping with the identical faulty memory slot?

For the record, when I try to start up the PC with a memory stick only in slot#1, I get 5 sets of 5 beeps each, then just the power switch flashing and no screen output at all.

HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Did you ever get a resolution to this RAM issue?  I am experiencing the same thing with my Stream Mini right now.  Installed a second stick of RAM and the unit will not recognize it.

HP Recommended

Hello @Kyle_P,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have read your post on how your desktop computer is experiencing an issue with upgrading the RAM, and I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

Since the Stream Mini is an entry level product, and you are looking to upgrade the RAM on your system, I would recommend upgrading according to the following memory specifications for this computer, as this is what HP has verified to work with this unit:

• 2GB PC3-12800 DDR3L-1600 SDRAM memory (3) 1X2GB (expandable to 16GB unbuffered with 8GB DIMMs)

reference: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2015/2015CES/StreamMiniDesktop.pdf

I hope this helps!

Best Regards 🙂

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I did resolve this issue, on my own.  And as it turns out, the problem was *not* due to a faulty memory slot or other component, it was, I would say, due to the design of the system itself.

The problem was the simplest thing in the world: the second stick of memory was not pushed in all the way into the slot. The reason I did not notice this before was that due to the design of the system, you simply cannot see what the memory stick is doing as you are trying to insert it. But despite the stick not being seated properly, the holding clips still click into place thus giving you a (false) sense that the stick is seated in correctly.  

I didn't even notice the problem until I literally looked at the motherboard with a large magnifying glass and noticed a very slight difference between how much of the pins on the memory stick was showing at the top of each of the two slots. On the slot that was working, the pins were seated deeper in the slot than the one that wasn't being recognized. 

Again, normally, on most system boards, if you dont have the stick inserted correctly, you can't close the holding pins and so you know you messed it up. On this system the pins closed so you (falsely) think it's correct.

I would also like to point out that I came to this solution on my own and with no help at all from HP support. I was however, given a lot of boneheaded unhelpful information like:

1. The system has a 2GB limit. (WRONG)

2. The system has a 4GB limit because it's 32 bit Windows. (WRONG)

3. The memory is meant to be "ganged" (Well Duhh!)

4. HP does not provide assistance with memory upgrades. (Thanks dude)

So while I am quite pleased with the product, and think it is a great value, I would say that my experience with HP Technical Support was very very poor and a complete waste of several hours of time. 

HP Recommended

I tried adding Kingston memory after reading the previous observations, but I STILL can't get it to recognize the module. I'm going to try one more time with Crucial. Shouldn't be this hard no matter WHICH computer it is.

HP Recommended

@MaxInMusicCity wrote:

I tried adding Kingston memory after reading the previous observations, but I STILL can't get it to recognize the module. I'm going to try one more time with Crucial. Shouldn't be this hard no matter WHICH computer it is.

Apparently the Kingston memory had a physical flaw that wouldn't let it seat properly in the socket even with applied pressure. The Crucial memory worked immediately, and I noted that the contacts were less visible.

Now, what I don't understand is why I've lost 5gb after adding the additional 2GB memory. No space left now. I'm defineitely going to have to upgrade the SSD.

HP Recommended

Max can you message me the model number you used for the Crucial Ram as I'm having issues with Corsair CMS04GX3M1B1600C11?

Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.