Question

Honor Student
SkyOfAegis
Message 1 of 3 (199 Views)

Upgrading my HP Pavilion 6716f-b, and need lots of help...

[ Edited ]

I have had my same computer for a number of years, and finally my 4200 graphics card is crapping out on me. I am in college for computer programming and database management, but I am relatively new to upgrading hardware in PC's due to me never really having one until a couple of years ago. I've been doing a lot of research, and all sorts of different answers seem to keep popping up, so I figure I will bring it here to the experts, and get the best possible answers I can. Bare in mind, expenses for a great running PC is of course a concern but I won't go cheap. Let's say $750 is my absolute upgrade budget "basically the price of the pc" and I am settling on:

Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS  80 PLUS (CX600)

With this as my power supply, what are my options for an awesome graphics card that can handle my needs, such as dual monitor support, great gaming graphics, video graphics ect? Also, I have settled on:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (4GBx4) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS4KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

To upgrade my ram to the full  16GB. I have read that 12GB is enough to run things smoothly, but I go with the whole "Rather have it and not need it" concept. Currently, my system has 6GB, so it will be a major improvement. Another thing I am thinking about in the near future "After Graphics Card, RAM, and Power Supply get upgraded" is getting a 2nd disc drive. Any suggestions on that would be fantastic. So, I guess my questions are...

1. Is my chosen Power Supply a reliable choice?

2. What is the best graphics card that I can get with this type of power supply? "600W"

3. Is the crucial brand name a good choice for my RAM upgrade? "Sticking to the full 16 GB, needed or not"

4. Is there any way possible to install USB 3.0 into my hardware without the need of a whole new Processor?

5. (If yes) am I better off installing SATA cables and another internal hard drive opposed to an external?

6. What is the best secondary disc drive that I should install? I hear lite-on is very popular.

7. Will I need to replace items such as the cooling fan to help keep the PC cool enough for heavy use?

Here are the specs on my PC.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02631315#N374

If it helps to give me better options, this is the graphics card that I am decided on so far:

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 3 (175 Views)

Re: Upgrading my HP Pavilion 6716f-b, and need lots of help...

[ Edited ]

SkyOfAegis wrote:

I have had my same computer for a number of years, and finally my 4200 graphics card is crapping out on me. I am in college for computer programming and database management, but I am relatively new to upgrading hardware in PC's due to me never really having one until a couple of years ago. I've been doing a lot of research, and all sorts of different answers seem to keep popping up, so I figure I will bring it here to the experts, and get the best possible answers I can. Bare in mind, expenses for a great running PC is of course a concern but I won't go cheap. Let's say $750 is my absolute upgrade budget "basically the price of the pc" and I am settling on:

Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS  80 PLUS (CX600)

With this as my power supply, what are my options for an awesome graphics card that can handle my needs, such as dual monitor support, great gaming graphics, video graphics ect? Also, I have settled on:

Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Kit (4GBx4) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS4KIT4G3D1609DS1S00

To upgrade my ram to the full  16GB. I have read that 12GB is enough to run things smoothly, but I go with the whole "Rather have it and not need it" concept. Currently, my system has 6GB, so it will be a major improvement. Another thing I am thinking about in the near future "After Graphics Card, RAM, and Power Supply get upgraded" is getting a 2nd disc drive. Any suggestions on that would be fantastic. So, I guess my questions are...

1. Is my chosen Power Supply a reliable choice?  Corsair make very good products.  I always recommend OCZ or Corsair.  They have enthusiast quality with a good price.

2. What is the best graphics card that I can get with this type of power supply? "600W".  I like XFX, EVGA, Sapphire and PNY in that order.  The main thing is to buy a card that is no longer than 9" in length.  Here is a card that will work for you.  It is not the most powerful, but it has good reviews.  Read them to see what users have to say about it.

3. Is the crucial brand name a good choice for my RAM upgrade? "Sticking to the full 16 GB, needed or not".  Yes, it is very good quality.  It is not highend, but if you use their Memory Advisor, they guaranty the memory to work or they will replace it at no additional cost to you.

4. Is there any way possible to install USB 3.0 into my hardware without the need of a whole new Processor?  Yes, you can add a PCI Express x1 adapter card.  The link is a page from Newegg with several cards.  I usually go for a product with at least 4 Eggs and as many Reviews as possible.  I am not certain that any of them have internal connectors.

5. (If yes) am I better off installing SATA cables and another internal hard drive opposed to an external?  Personally, I like to use external hard drives.  I don't like to clutter the inside of my computer with cables.  They block airflow.

6. What is the best secondary disc drive that I should install? I hear lite-on is very popular.  If it were me, I would buy a 160 GB, SSD drive and an external enclosure for the original hard drive  and use it for backup.  You have to buy at least 160 GB for the Recovery Discs to work.  You can't imagine the warp speed of the SSD drives.  I am using one in my HP Split 13 x2.  It boots in 7 seconds or less.

7. Will I need to replace items such as the cooling fan to help keep the PC cool enough for heavy use?  I don't believe that this will be necessary.  You can play it by ear.  If you have heat problems, then, consider additional fans.  You have to be careful when installing them to assure that you are not creating back force by having them installed in the wrong place.

Here are the specs on my PC.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02631315#N374

If it helps to give me better options, this is the graphics card that I am decided on so far:

SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE Graphics Card

SkyOfAegis, welcome to the forum.

Yes, your budget is more than enough.  You can buy a nice computer for that amount.  See my answers to your questions above.

Please click "KUDOS star" if I have helped you and click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

HP Split 13 x2
- 1.6 Ghz; 4 GB memory; SSD 128 GB; Win 8.0

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe
- i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Ultimate

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (121 Views)

Re: Upgrading my HP Pavilion 6716f-b, and need lots of help...

Yea, I am getting my brother's old tower with basically everything in it that I need to rebuild it to a spectacular PC.  $200 and it can overclock over 4 ghz easy for the price of a new PC. This one is not really worth upgrading one bit for my needs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation