Question

Student
RobJH
Message 1 of 1 (384 Views)

Upgrading optical drive in Pavilion Slimline S5545UK

Hi,

I wanted to upgrade the optical drive in my HP S5545UK to a BluRay writable one.

Having read various reviews and checked the 'Replacing a CD or DVD Drive' article at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01755009&tmp_task=useCategory&cc=uk&dlc=en&lang...

...I decided on the LG BH10LS38 and ordered it from Amazon.

Following the instructions in the link above, the part about connecting the new drive states that there may be three cables required - one of which is the "Eject or control cable (not needed for some drives)".

As this drive just has the power and SATA connection - I presumed this was one of the "some drives" that do not need the eject/control cable.

However, it seems that it's not about whether the *drive* needs this cable - it's about the design of the Pavilion case! It's designed so the optical drive sits vertically. Fine, no problem - this drive is designed for that (has extra support in the tray). BUT, the drive's eject button is not only hidden by the front bezel, but also by the front facia of the PC (so even removing the bezel doesn't allow access to the eject button). HP have put their own 'eject' button just below the drive on the front panel, but this is what the third cable is. It connects this switch directly to the original optical drive.

Without this connection, there is no way of hardware-ejecting the replacement drive.

Sure, I know it can be software-ejected, but that's quite annoying - and there's always those times when you remember just after hitting 'shutdown' that you've left a disc in the drive. A hardward eject is the only way to get that disc (whist there's still power, but no running OS).

So - does anyone know if (a) it's possible to connect this eject cable somehow to the new drive - or if (b) there's an internal BDR drive on the market that has this eject cable port? I can't seem to find any!

Thanks all.

Rob.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation